Adding sub to WJ premium system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Adding sub to WJ premium system

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
gbelous
2001 WJ 

Adding sub to WJ premium system

Okay, I am going to be adding this sub/amp combo
(MTX Bass Package RTP202 2-channel amplifier TCE4512A enclosure with one 12" subwoofer at Crutchfield.com) to my 2001 Limited WJ.

I have read a lot on this and other forums and still have a few questions.
I will be using the PAC SNI-15 line out converter (PAC SNI-15 (sni15) - Line-Out Converters - Sonic Electronix)

According to this forum (WJ Sub Install - Stock Head Unit w/ Infinity Amp + New Amp Added - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums), it says to wire it like this...

Attach from the LOC to the correct wires on the smaller connector on the infinity amp.
Attach Right + From LOC to Pin 1
Attach Right - From LOC to Pin 2
Attach Left + From LOC to Pin 6
Attach Left - From LOC to Pin 7

All that makes sense...according to http://www.wjjeeps.com/radio_ampdiag1a.jpg the wires are easy to find.

Here are my questions...

1. Is there a signal wire on the LOC or just the 4 speaker wires? From the photo, it looks like there are 2 gray, 2 white and 1 brown. The gray and white go to the speakers, but what about the brown? In the jeepsunlimited link, it looks like his "extra" wire goes to pin number 3 on the small connector, is this correct?

2. In the past, when installing the mtx amp, it has had a blue remote wire that connects to the head unit to be turned on and off when the HU does...do I still need to connect that wire to anything or will having the LOC do the same thing? If I need the remote wire, where do I connect that to?

3. This might be a long shot, but since my tweeters in the dash are bad, could I rewire the front door speakers to where the tweeters plug in on the amp to get highs from the front and then splice in the LOC to where the front door speakers are on the amp to get the lows for the sub?
I'm not super familiar with how all this is set it, this jeep is only a couple weeks old to me so I might be way off here. Just curious cause right now I get no highs up front of the jeep since the tweeters are out. Or I could just keep it simple and replace them lol.

4. If I remember correctly, the new amp has 2 +/- so would it be possible to run one to the sub and one to the front door speakers so I can pick up highs and lows from it, or would that be too much power for those speakers to handle?

Thanks for any help, I know that was a lot.

gbelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
bababooey
2003 WJ 

Not sure I can answer all your questions but will try my best

1. From th epicture it looks like the brown is a ground , maybe if you ground it you wont get road noise?

2. You will definately need to run a remote wire. It goes from the back of your radio or ignition directly to the amp. On your amp you will have 3 plugs. 1 is for constant power from battery , 2 is for remote wire so the amps knows when your jeep is on , and the 3rd is for a ground

I'm confused about the last 2 questions. From my understanding with those converters you have to sacrifice channels to create rca inputs. So you would use the converter with the back door speakers while keeping your front door and dash speakers for your highs. Your back door speakers will no longer work since you are using their speaker wires to create a rca connection to your amp.

This all sounds to complicated. You can find a decent head unit from ebay for $100 and have plenty of outputs to have your sub and all factory speakers working. The sound quality will be a lot better to - the wj factory radios suck.

hope I was atleast a little bit of help for you
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
gbelous
2001 WJ 

Thanks...that definitely helps some. Now that you mention it, it makes sense that the brown is a ground.
Is there a spot on the stock infinity amp that I can splice the remote wire for the new amp or do I have to tear apart the dash and get behind the radio anyway? (that's what I was trying to avoid in the first place by getting the LOC)
I couldn't find a FSM anywhere online so I don't have any wiring diagrams for the ignition, so I don't know about running the remote to anywhere in there.

Yeah, the last couple were complicated...even just to explain what I was thinking. I wouldn't want to cut out the back door speakers because they are my only highs right now. The front door are only low and the dash tweeters are blown. I wonder if I could splice the front door speaker wires into where the tweeters are in the stock amp and run highs to them and not worry about putting tweeters back in. But yeah, the stock stuff is never as good as aftermarket, so who knows.
Thanks again!
Unread 03-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
bababooey
2003 WJ 

pin #13 would be the wire you could splice and run to your amp for the remote wire

the answer to question 4 is no - that amp can only run the subwoofer. You will have to select either low or high for the crossover on it.
Unread 03-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
bababooey
2003 WJ 

just try to use the tweeter speaker wires to hook up that converter , not sure how it would sound but worth a try. If it sounds good you got all door speakers working and a sub
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
gbelous
2001 WJ 

Hopefully this weekend will be nice and dry so I can install the LOC.
One quick question thou...
Is there any possibility for the front door speakers that only play lows be wired to the tweeters so they play highs and mids or would that not sound good?

As I've said before, the tweeters are blown so without spending much (or any) money because I just don't have it right now, I was just curious on if this would work.
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
gbelous
2001 WJ 

okay, so over the weekend i tried installing everything. seems to have went fine and was able to hook everything up, however ran into an issue with the 1st connector on the stock amp. the wires did not match the sample i had printed from jjjeeps.com. my newly added amp was not getting a signal to turn on (no red light on it) so i am guessing that the remote wire was in the wrong spot. if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

from wjjeeps:______________what i have:

top row (left to right):
1___pci bus________________brown w/ red
2___fused b +______________blue w/ pink
3___ground________________green w/ white
4___(empty)_______________blue w/ orange
5___right rear speaker -______(empty)
6___left rear speaker -_______black
7___right front speaker -_____red w/ white
8___left front speaker -______(empty)
___
bottom row (left to right):
9___(empty)_______________green w/ orange
10__fused b +______________purple
11__ground________________white w/ green
12__(empty)_______________blue w/ white
13__signal to amp___________(empty)
14__(empty)________________brown w/ white
15__right rear speaker +______(empty)
16__left rear speaker +_______black
17__right front speaker +_____red w/ white
18__left front speaker +______(empty)

since 13 was empty, i tried the remote wire on 12, the blue w/ white wire. but i am guessing that is wrong. how can i find the correct wires?

the smaller connector that goes out from the amp seemed to match up. i attached the loc wires to the 1,2,6,7 wires...but still not sure if that is correct since the first connector was mismatched.
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
bababooey
2003 WJ 

I am not sure what color, maybe someone else will , if they dont....

You will need a test light. You would have to find the wire with the test light that has power when you turn the ignition on, but has no power when the ignition is off. It will take a lot of trial and error, you'll just have to test every wire on the harness until you find the right one. Also make sure you have a good ground by using the test light -- just clamp the test light to the ground wire going to your amp and poke it in the main power - if the light comes on you have a good ground.
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
gbelous
2001 WJ 

I have a multi-meter to use, but that's a good idea...but if my wires are all different than the example I have, how do I know which is which...I won't even be able to match the ground wire
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
bababooey
2003 WJ 

what is the difference between wire 2 and wire 10 , I dont know but would guess one of those would be the remote wire. I would think one of those would have to be since 12 and 13 is empty.
Unread 03-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
Lemoncrevice
2000 WJ 

The remote line is simply a 12v ignition power source that sends a signal to the amp when the car is on or off. This is obviously so it won't stay on when the jeep isn't running and let your battery die. So you could get this from any other power source in the car that is only available with the ignition on

As for your tweeter/high problem id suggest you find new replacements. My tweeters actually came out of book shelve speakers and round off my system very nicely(just an idea not necessarily a suggestion)
Unread 03-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
gbelous
2001 WJ 

okay, i will try to find the remote wire first then worry about finding another ignition source. if i fix the numbering to what it should be then the brown w/ white wire is in spot number 13, which is supposed to be the remote wire. I will have to see what it is connected to, but i think i hooked it up to number 15 which is the right rear speaker...so that obviously won't work as a remote.
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
BransJeep
2000 WJ 

Just take the remote wire to the fuse panel, use the one for the cigar lighter, not power outlet and the amp will only turn on when the ignition is reversed or in the "on" posistion
4.5 inch lift, front Ironman 4x4 adjustable CA's
RB1 and full J&L audio setup
Rola roof rack
BransJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.