7/8" 1 12.50%
1" 7 87.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Question Which addco rear bar?

So I know there are multiple threads on this but I can't seem to find any consensus so thought I'd create a poll for my specific situation.

I want to purchase an Addco rear bar from Kolak but can't decide between the 7/8" and the 1".

My Jeep:
  • 2004 4.7 HO (so already has the solid front bar)
  • Rear polybushes in the arms and swaybar links
  • Bilstein 4600s all round
  • Stock height
  • Grippy Michelin Road tires

Type of driving:

98% spirited road driving including some high speed (100mph+) running.
We don't have anything approaching rock crawling over here but I like to be able to take the Jeep through mud / over kurbs without having to worry about the bar tearing out the frame mounts (is this really an issue? My Jeep is rust free). I also don't want to have to get out and disconnect the bar every time I do some slight off-road driving. Defeats the purpose of the Jeep IMO (can go straight from the tarmac to the trail)

I've read that the 1" bar can cause oversteer but then again I have grippy tires and a solid front bar so maybe this isn't applicable?

The 7/8" bar would be an upgrade over stock but if there's no downside to the 1" why not get the 1"?

Thanks in advance, votes appreciated and replies even more so!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-24-2017, 04:17 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
I say 1" as it's bigger & cheaper.

I looked into this as well recently although for my driving habits, I've decided against getting the addco bar for the time being due to the frame cracking issues they can cause if left connected for rough off road use.

Amazon pricing:
684(1") - $135.65
634(7/8") - $193.72

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Fourth Coast Jeeps
post #3 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 07:44 AM
steve_80
2000 WJ 

Garage
I had the 1" on my 2000 WJ with the stock front bar... it was my pavement-pounder and it was great. I miss her.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 AM
bugaboots
2002 WJ 

Garage
For your application i would say go with the 1" bar.

I am in a similar situation, my jeep is a daily driver/tow rig/wheeler. majority of my driving is on road and ocasinal offroad. From what i have gathered the 1" is the most common, will be cheaper and provide greatest handling.

Your application being stock and having minimal flex when off pavement, ie. curb or slightly more flex, the 1" should not pose a problem for you.

1995 Cherokee 4.0 Stock(for now)
2002 Grand Cherokee Sport, OME HD lift, Bilstien 5100's, 63mm Bored t-body, IRO 2.5 exaust, 245/75/16 Revo2, Front tow hooks, 4.6L long rod stroker, Factory Jeep brush gaurd
post #5 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Tollmtn
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frambo View Post
So I know there are multiple threads on this but I can't seem to find any consensus so thought I'd create a poll for my specific situation.

I want to purchase an Addco rear bar from Kolak but can't decide between the 7/8" and the 1".

My Jeep:
  • 2004 4.7 HO (so already has the solid front bar)
  • Rear polybushes in the arms and swaybar links
  • Bilstein 4600s all round
  • Stock height
  • Grippy Michelin Road tires

Type of driving:

98% spirited road driving including some high speed (100mph+) running.
We don't have anything approaching rock crawling over here but I like to be able to take the Jeep through mud / over kurbs without having to worry about the bar tearing out the frame mounts (is this really an issue? My Jeep is rust free). I also don't want to have to get out and disconnect the bar every time I do some slight off-road driving. Defeats the purpose of the Jeep IMO (can go straight from the tarmac to the trail)

I've read that the 1" bar can cause oversteer but then again I have grippy tires and a solid front bar so maybe this isn't applicable?

The 7/8" bar would be an upgrade over stock but if there's no downside to the 1" why not get the 1"?

Thanks in advance, votes appreciated and replies even more so!
A few points...As noted Grippy tires make do make a major difference in masking oversteer or understeer. Because the only way to discover either is the push speed through a curve to the point the front or rear tires lose grip and very few people will ever do that on pavement.

Another point is, if a 4WD WJ has a fully functioning 247 T case when tires start to slip it behave like an AWD. So people should be aware that handling is different on 247 V/S WJs with a 242 T case in 2WD. In other words it's hard to get an AWD to oversteer. BUT as I found out when I installed a 242 T case.....Even with an 04 solid bar the 1" addco does cause oversteer when the T case is in 2WD = RWD.

I did not arrive at that conclusion through guess work. I had rear disconnects on the 1" Addco so I could test just how fast I could corner to the point the rear end would start to step out (skid) with it connected and disconnected. I also tested the same with the stock bar, with the 4.7 HO I could get a little power oversteer with the stock bar but it quickly drifted. Never once could I make my WJ plow, in general it was pretty darn good at going where it was pointed other than the noted stiff rear bar oversteer. If any WJ owners have ever had a WJ plow at speed in other than very slippery conditions where any vehicle would lose steering I would be interested about hearing about that.

Even though I know enough about suspension to know that bigger is not always better from the information you provided I think either would be fine for you.

"There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it." W.J.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-09-2017, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollmtn View Post
A few points...As noted Grippy tires make do make a major difference in masking oversteer or understeer. Because the only way to discover either is the push speed through a curve to the point the front or rear tires lose grip and very few people will ever do that on pavement.

Another point is, if a 4WD WJ has a fully functioning 247 T case when tires start to slip it behave like an AWD. So people should be aware that handling is different on 247 V/S WJs with a 242 T case in 2WD. In other words it's hard to get an AWD to oversteer. BUT as I found out when I installed a 242 T case.....Even with an 04 solid bar the 1" addco does cause oversteer when the T case is in 2WD = RWD.

I did not arrive at that conclusion through guess work. I had rear disconnects on the 1" Addco so I could test just how fast I could corner to the point the rear end would start to step out (skid) with it connected and disconnected. I also tested the same with the stock bar, with the 4.7 HO I could get a little power oversteer with the stock bar but it quickly drifted. Never once could I make my WJ plow, in general it was pretty darn good at going where it was pointed other than the noted stiff rear bar oversteer. If any WJ owners have ever had a WJ plow at speed in other than very slippery conditions where any vehicle would lose steering I would be interested about hearing about that.

Even though I know enough about suspension to know that bigger is not always better from the information you provided I think either would be fine for you.
Apologies for my thread revival - have been very very busy with a few things the last few weeks. Thank you very much for your informative reply - I see what you are saying.

A question though, as I have the 247 which, as you say, will behave like AWD when the tires start to slip... what does that mean? I've not had much experience in sports cars where I've been able to push grip limits so what would I expect in the above situation? Oversteer? Understeer?

Thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 10-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Tollmtn
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frambo View Post
Apologies for my thread revival - have been very very busy with a few things the last few weeks. Thank you very much for your informative reply - I see what you are saying.

A question though, as I have the 247 which, as you say, will behave like AWD when the tires start to slip... what does that mean? I've not had much experience in sports cars where I've been able to push grip limits so what would I expect in the above situation? Oversteer? Understeer?

Thanks
Driving at speed below where you risk ending up in a tree it is really hard to make stock AWDs over steer when powering through turns, the same is true for 4X4s in 4WD. The reason is with decent tires they have more tire grip/traction than horse power so they tend to be neutral through turns.

On low traction surfaces it gets tricky.....My easement road has hard packed snow all winter. Playing around I purposely induce skids on turns, in a RWD it is not hard to counter steer and have fun with it. In 4WD or AWD it take more speed to lose traction, then the in 4X4 skid can be a sideways slide, LOL it is darn hard to recover from that if you don't catch it instantly.

"There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it." W.J.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.