access to flexplate bolts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > access to flexplate bolts?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
multmigs
2003 WJ 

access to flexplate bolts?

I have had this tick tick engine noise ever since replacing my engine (03 V8) which is clearly coming from the area of the bellhousing. I was told by several people that the flexplate bolts could be loose or the flexplate itself cracked. I removed the inspection cover for the flexplate and was able to rotate engine by hand to check all the bolts that attach the flexplate to the torque converter. All were tight and the portion of the flexplate i can see seems ok. I told someone I did this who then responded "what about the bolts on the end of the flexplate to the crankshaft? I had already put the cover back on and didn't remember that I could see anything like that because the TC is obviously pushed right up against the flexplate. My question is could I unbolt the flexplate to TC and then push the TC back towards the transmission enough to be able to get a socket or wrench up into the gap to check? I can't recall what it looked like when the 2 came apart before.

multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

No. Is the simple answer. There is no way to get to those bolts unless you pull apart the engine and transmission. There are 8 bolts holding the flywheel onto the crank. Did the engine already have the flywheel bolted to it? Are you sure the engine was good and not knocking? Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Exhaust leaks cause a ticking sound... Mine is on the rear driver side exhaust port. It's near the transmission/engine coupling and the noise can sound like it's coming from that area. It's easy to check those manifold bolts and see if any are broken causing the leak, plus it's much much more common of a problem...
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
multmigs
2003 WJ 

I replaced the engine myself with a reman longblock. The trans had no problems when i last drove it and exploded the engine. I removed the flexplate from old motor it appeared to be free of cracks etc, just cleaned it up and bolted to new engine. I believe I used thread locker on those bolts and tightened them in a star pattern to the FSM torque before reinstalling engine onto old trans. There is no exhaust leak i replaced all those bolts with new ones and obviously used new gaskets etc, i have had the motor running with the inspection cover removed and its very clear the clicking noise comes from something in that flexplate area. I've been running it like this for almost a year, motor went back in last August and i've driven it aprox 4k miles in that time with no problems from trans or engine. Just hate listening to that sounds its super annoying in a drivethrough when i get my Chik Fila on for instance.
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.