AC vents only blowing half the air they should - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC vents only blowing half the air they should

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #31
stephenpegler
2003 WJ 

I have a GC Limited with the dual climate control. Passenger side floor vents stopped blowing hot air in the winter, got the blend doors fixed under warrantee. Then the passenger side air vents stopped blowing cold air in the middle of the Arizona summer. Warrantee expired by then, had to get the blend doors fixed on my own nickel. Dealer took the whole dash out to get at them. Stupid design. Then the passenger side air vents started blowing out barely cooled air, turned out that the Freon level was low due to a leaking air conditioning condenser. The passenger side vents must be weaker that the rest of the vents.

With the multiple power window failures, another stupid design, a dead air conditioning compressor, a leaking air conditioning condenser, and two blend door replacements, I'm about to buy a Toyota FJ Cruiser. I love the Jeep for what it can do but this reliability thing is getting rediculous. No wonder Chrysler went bankrupt. I'm a little more than PO'ed just thinking about it as you might of gathered.

stephenpegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #32
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

No need to pull dash to clean evap irzyxel. a few screws in passenger compartment and you can drop your fan blower out and you can see it from there. I think they make a special aersoal spray cleaner at like home depot or a ac place, but I just used a low pressure water, it also tells me if my drain is stopped up as well and flushes out any debris that way. A blast of air to help get big drops out and just let it sit in the heat to dry.
jclaudii is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #33
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Thank god I have the manual climate control, but of course I too suffer from low air flow. Im sure my sealing foam is deteriorated but I just deal with it.

Btw, have fun feeding that FJ pig with premium gas and getting the optimistic at best EPA 17/20 fuel economy. At 4.09 a gallon here thats $78 to fill it up.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #34
irzyxel
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaudii View Post
No need to pull dash to clean evap irzyxel. a few screws in passenger compartment and you can drop your fan blower out and you can see it from there. I think they make a special aersoal spray cleaner at like home depot or a ac place, but I just used a low pressure water, it also tells me if my drain is stopped up as well and flushes out any debris that way. A blast of air to help get big drops out and just let it sit in the heat to dry.
Cool. Going to check that out today if I have time. Only day off in a while and the woman wants me to spend time with her. What the..? Way to ruin my day off! J/k(sorta). I might have tomorrow off as well, but not sure. Since I need to pull my console to see why it isn't screwing down solid, I'll check my ducting behind the radio as well.
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #35
irzyxel
2004 WJ 

*found it
Unread 08-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #36
camboh
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv
check to see if you have the updated blower motor resistor. Pull yours out (under glovebox) and see if the heat sink fins are longer (~2"). If so, the blower wires need cut and reversed.
So you mean if I reverse the black and red it may increase my fan strength? I am having the weak blowing ac like this post mentions and recently replaced my resistor and it seemed after I did that the fan blows quite weak.
camboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #37
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboh

So you mean if I reverse the black and red it may increase my fan strength? I am having the weak blowing ac like this post mentions and recently replaced my resistor and it seemed after I did that the fan blows quite weak.
Yes, if your new resistor has longer heat sink fins than the old one, that will take care of it.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using JeepForum App

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #38
CowboyPilot
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDoodle
I think I may know what is wrong with my GC, but had a few questions. First off the problem. About half the time I use the AC on the GC I get about half the air out of the vents it normally blows. Still getting cold air, just not enough. The blower motor is working it's just not making it out the vents. I'm assuming it's the "blend door" thing I've been reading about? If not, is there a filter that could possibly be plugged up? I've noticed that whenever it blows like this the condensor starts "frosting" over and there is an excessive amount of condensation that starts dripping. In fact a few times on real hot days it will condense into the passenger side floor mat. I was just wanting to make sure something else may not be plugged up.
Your ac might actually be too cold. Its not supposed to get colder than 38d F. That's to prevent the evap core from literally freezing. That would explain loss of volume flow as well as water pouring out later. Check the air out of the ducts and see if its below 38. Most vehicles cycle the compressor off automatically when the temp gets to 38, if yours isn't that could be it (is it worse on humid days?)
CowboyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #39
todarojt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACNY View Post
Cleaning the evap is not going to help velocity.Your mode door might not be closing all the way.Which would let some air through all the exits,as opposed to all the air through one.Is the velocity any different when in defrost,or floor?
When in vent mode,does air leak out defrost vents,or floor vents.Tie some light thread to be sure.
The last reply asking about air leaking through the floor and defrost vents is what mine is doing. Some condensation will drip into passenger floorboard when running for a long time in summer heat (100+). Bought my 2000 Limited used and the passenger side air vents have always blown weaker. The strongest vent is the middle one closest to the driver. Heat and defrost blow strong. What should I check? Or is this just a design flaw? Thanks! Joe
todarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #40
mozyup
2002 FSJ Cherokee 

Did it work? I have the exact same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboh View Post
mozyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #41
DetroitpimpinAz
2002 WJ 

Switched wires going into blower motor BAM BLOWS LIKE A MOTHER F R THANKS!!!!!!! After i cut into blend doors found them fine ,Recirculate door was bad propped open so recirculates all the time fine with me!
DetroitpimpinAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #42
POLK
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Yes, if your new resistor has longer heat sink fins than the old one, that will take care of it.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using JeepForum App
I am having the same problem, I went and got the updated resistor and wiring kit that it requires. One of the new wire harness goes directly to the fan. After installing it all the fan doesn't seem to be blowing out the vents as strong. You would think that the new wires would be correct .The old wiring is black and red but the new wiring is taped up and cant tell the colors. Do you think I should try reversing the new wires? I took the fan out and looked for any debris. There is a door up in there that just seems to be swinging freely, should it be that way? Also which way should the fan spin, looking at it with the fins facing up it is spinning clockways .
POLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #43
DetroitpimpinAz
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLK View Post
I am having the same problem, I went and got the updated resistor and wiring kit that it requires. One of the new wire harness goes directly to the fan. After installing it all the fan doesn't seem to be blowing out the vents as strong. You would think that the new wires would be correct .The old wiring is black and red but the new wiring is taped up and cant tell the colors. Do you think I should try reversing the new wires? I took the fan out and looked for any debris. There is a door up in there that just seems to be swinging freely, should it be that way? Also which way should the fan spin, looking at it with the fins facing up it is spinning clockways .
CUT THE WIRES AND SWITCH THEM IT WILL WORK , i checked all my stuff then did wires PERFECT! Your recirculate door is broke bend a wire hanger to wedge in there it will only recirculate but its cheaper that pulling whole dash off thats the only way to do that one right i bent hanger but i use recirculate all the time i'm in AZ
DetroitpimpinAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #44
POLK
2003 WJ 

Thanks, I took the new plug apart and switched the wires and yes it blows like it should now. You would think that it would come from the dealership wired correctly. I will be doing the recirculate door trick next. Thanks for your help.
POLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #45
WJ03_Overland
2003 WJ 

I hope the polarity described above also fixes my issue as my WJ has the new resister already installed. It sounds like the blower is blowing top speed and it varies as should with the dial, all doors are also operating fine but zero air flow.
WJ03_Overland is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.