AC vents only blowing half the air they should - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC vents only blowing half the air they should

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
SWDoodle
2000 WJ 

AC vents only blowing half the air they should

I think I may know what is wrong with my GC, but had a few questions. First off the problem. About half the time I use the AC on the GC I get about half the air out of the vents it normally blows. Still getting cold air, just not enough. The blower motor is working it's just not making it out the vents. I'm assuming it's the "blend door" thing I've been reading about? If not, is there a filter that could possibly be plugged up? I've noticed that whenever it blows like this the condensor starts "frosting" over and there is an excessive amount of condensation that starts dripping. In fact a few times on real hot days it will condense into the passenger side floor mat. I was just wanting to make sure something else may not be plugged up.

If it is the blend doors, is that a pretty complex fix? I've seen some people post that you have to remove the dash while others say you don't. I DON'T want to spend much more on the this thing. It has really been a PIA with nickel and dime crap lately. Time to get rid of her.

SWDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
SWDoodle
2000 WJ 

So I've been playing around with this a little and noticed that as the vehicle has sat for an hour or so and I turned the A/C back on, water started pouring out of the tube coming out of the firewall like a garden hose! The AC was blowing alot better, still not as good as it used to. I'm thinking maybe the blower motor may still be going out. As for the evaporator, what can I do? Is there any way to clean it?
Unread 07-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Just to verify as well...Have you had the AC charge checked to make sure it is not low on refrigerant? One way to tell is the AC compressor will cycle on/off alot if it's low. The line going into the firewall may also have a coating of frost or ice form on it as well. If the AC freezes up and then you turn it off for a bit and turn back on it would blow all the melted icewater out of the tube hopefully.
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
SWDoodle
2000 WJ 

No I have not had it checked. I was under the impression that as long as it was blowing cold air, there was no need to recharge? Maybe that's ridiculous but I don't know. It "seems" like it's blowing more air now, but the drivers the two outside vents aren't putting out as much as the two middle ones. In fact the right middle vent is by far putting out the most. I stuck a garden hose up to the drain on the firewall and tried to flush any stuff out. Have no idea if that did any good or not. I keep seeing stuff about the evaporator. How do you clean or inspect this?
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

pull the blower fan out and check to see if your re-circ air door is blocking some of the air flow which it could be if it is broken..... it is like 3 or 4 screws

|
|
2002 WJ Overland | 4.7 H.O. | Clayton 6in LA | LSR Bumper | JKS discos | JKS Track Bar | KOR SS | BFG KM2's 285/75/17 | Carolina Front/Rear Driveshaft | Quadradrive | 125k Miles
|
|
RIP
|4.7 | 242HD | 2WD-->4WD Conversion | Vari-Lock front D30 | D44a Aussie Locker | Hybrid RCX 4in + BB | IronMan FUCA's | D30 Solid Diff Cover | Carolina Front Driveshaft | JCR Stage 3 Sliders | E-Fan Conversion | Hard-KOR SS|
WJ 2WD-->4WD Conversion Build Thread
|
|
2003 WJ Overland - SOLD
drwolcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Is there any upgrade that can be done to increase the air flow? Mine sucks too. It blows cold as ice just not enough CFM. I just charged it. Its set properly too. I just had the dash out to investiagte it. But didnt find anything really. I replaced all the seals made sure all blend doors were working and put it all back together. It blows maybe 5% harder. Its cold for sure. I just need more air flow. I honestly think the vents was a bad design.

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

I'm not sure of an upgrade.. but I am just glad I got some cold air back... been without it way to long.

I know on mine for some reason the passenger vents don't blow near as hard as the driver vents. I too have checked my blend doors. I have replaced the dual blend doors and the re-circ door.

|
|
2002 WJ Overland | 4.7 H.O. | Clayton 6in LA | LSR Bumper | JKS discos | JKS Track Bar | KOR SS | BFG KM2's 285/75/17 | Carolina Front/Rear Driveshaft | Quadradrive | 125k Miles
|
|
RIP
|4.7 | 242HD | 2WD-->4WD Conversion | Vari-Lock front D30 | D44a Aussie Locker | Hybrid RCX 4in + BB | IronMan FUCA's | D30 Solid Diff Cover | Carolina Front Driveshaft | JCR Stage 3 Sliders | E-Fan Conversion | Hard-KOR SS|
WJ 2WD-->4WD Conversion Build Thread
|
|
2003 WJ Overland - SOLD
drwolcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
SWDoodle
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwolcot View Post
pull the blower fan out and check to see if your re-circ air door is blocking some of the air flow which it could be if it is broken..... it is like 3 or 4 screws
Pulled the blower motor out. I put it on high just to see how hard it would blow and it was blowing very hard IMO. So I don't think it is that. I'm not sure where the re-circ door is located but the door with the foam on it that is basically behind the glove box was closed shut. I could open it up if I pulled on it, but it would never open or close when I went between A/C, recirculate, or defrost. So the door doesn't apper to be broke, just malfunctioning maybe? Put everything back together and still have low flow on the three vents to the right of the driver. Driver side is blowing fine.
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
SWDoodle
2000 WJ 

BTW, I don't the dual climate control, just the single blend knob. Didn't know if this made a difference or not.
Unread 08-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Did you ever figure this out SWDoodle?
Unread 06-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
beezerbiker
2002 WJ 

No kidding, I would love to find an answer. I have moderately cold air, but only blowing through driver side vents and even they aren't full strength. I have done the blend doors, didn't do it. Haven't done the recirc door but it looks to be working, any ideas???
beezerbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

beezerbiker, have you tried pulling the fan motor and "washing" the evap and heater coil with a water hose? I am going to do this again soon on mine as I think the dusty conditions along with condensation make it clog up easy. I think there is some dedicated pressurized spray for cleaning fins on evaps and such, but I figure a find jet of water from a hose will do just fine and then some air from a compressor?

I am even contemplating putting computer fans in my vents it's so weak!
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezerbiker
No kidding, I would love to find an answer. I have moderately cold air, but only blowing through driver side vents and even they aren't full strength. I have done the blend doors, didn't do it. Haven't done the recirc door but it looks to be working, any ideas???
Someone posted this awhile back,might help you..

image-4212533026.jpg
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
beezerbiker
2002 WJ 

Yep, I already did that, it helped, but overall I would say the airflow through my dash vents is weak. I even tested the blower motor for strength, blows just as strong as a brand new replacement, so that's not the problem. I also checked the recirc door, no blockages and performs perfectly. I am convinced that something in the HVAC box is just not opening all the way. Ugh, driving me freaking nuts!
beezerbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Cleaning the evap is not going to help velocity.Your mode door might not be closing all the way.Which would let some air through all the exits,as opposed to all the air through one.Is the velocity any different when in defrost,or floor?
When in vent mode,does air leak out defrost vents,or floor vents.Tie some light thread to be sure.
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.