AC Inspection leading to electrical problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC Inspection leading to electrical problem

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
goodtimesco

Unhappy AC Inspection leading to electrical problem

So I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition. 4.7L. The AC and windows stopped working over the past year due to most likely wear and tear or electrical problems. Luckily my best friend works at a shop that they said they can inspect both problems for free. I took it in one day for the inspection. Next thing you know it the anti-theft system goes on during inspection.

Now let me give you a brief history. After the windows broke, my temperature, MPG, trip meter, etc. got busted. Soon after my alarm system stops working. I had the settings set so that when I would lock the car via remote the horn would honk. When I would lock the car the doors locked except the driver's side and no horn would honk and no alarm would go off if someone tries to open any of the locked doors. Now within a few months my AC breaks randomly. and voila back to present....

So the anti theft system won't let my car start. I was driven home by my friend to grab the spare key hoping it was just a simple problem like that, according to the mechanics. Didn't help either. So....they took it to the dealer(Tuttle Click Irvine-Jeep/Chrysler). Now I've been on their backs trying to get an update of any sort since I go to nursing school and I depend on this car to get everywhere from school to my siblings' schools. After a phone conversation today they say that the problems could be pointing to the PCM. They said they'll give me a definite answer after more inspections tomorrow. I asked about the price of a PCM repair and they estimated around 1400-1500 bucks. I hung up and did research and found PCMs online for about 200-400$ and I've even called up other shops for their opinion. One opinion was that the only way the anti theft could've came on is if they replaced the BCU. Now I know the original mechanics where I took it in the first place and I know they didn't replace any BCU to my knowledge...and paying 15 grand just to repair the PCM is A LOT of money especially for a struggling student. I just want to get everyones opinion on this matter and ASAP. I am in a huge dilemma and I hate depending on my parents and my friends just to get a simple ride to and from school....

goodtimesco is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.