AC Cold Vents but ONE HOT??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC Cold Vents but ONE HOT???

WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till ApriJKS Grand Cherokee WJ, Adjustable Front Trackbar 1"-6

Unread 07-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
infinitempg
2009 XJ Cherokee 

AC Cold Vents but ONE HOT???

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 4WD and have had some AC issues and have had work done "trying" to straighten it out. Never really has cooled well and here in Florida I need that. Even with the repairs done it still doesn't get real cold and occasionally it will all of a sudden just start blowing out hot air out the vents

Yesterday I noticed something odd that might help direct me. I was at a red light and started adjusting the direction of the vents with the AC on recirculate setting. There is a driver's side vent by the door and similar one near the passenger door. Then another above the left side of the glove box and two in the middle above the console. The driver's side vents were blowing fairly cold but when I went to adjust the right side (passenger side) console vent, it was blowing HOT AIR! I checked and all the vents were blowing cold air including the left side console vent, EXCEPT the right side console vent was blowing hot. Might not of been heated air, could of just been outside air as it was in the 90's when I noticed this and this morning it was blowing air that felt like the outside temp.

Also I have noticed occasionally if I turn the control to blow out the windshield defroster vents some pieces of light brown decayed looking foam blow out and sometimes I see it pop out the front vents, too.

So now I'm thinking it might not be AC issues at all and might be that the vents are not shifting properly. Any instructions or hints on how to check this, clean this or even access where to start? Would really REALLY like to get this straightened out as we're just getting in to the hottest part of the year.

All help greatly appreciated!

infinitempg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitempg View Post
I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 4WD and have had some AC issues and have had work done "trying" to straighten it out. Never really has cooled well and here in Florida I need that. Even with the repairs done it still doesn't get real cold and occasionally it will all of a sudden just start blowing out hot air out the vents

Yesterday I noticed something odd that might help direct me. I was at a red light and started adjusting the direction of the vents with the AC on recirculate setting. There is a driver's side vent by the door and similar one near the passenger door. Then another above the left side of the glove box and two in the middle above the console. The driver's side vents were blowing fairly cold but when I went to adjust the right side (passenger side) console vent, it was blowing HOT AIR! I checked and all the vents were blowing cold air including the left side console vent, EXCEPT the right side console vent was blowing hot. Might not of been heated air, could of just been outside air as it was in the 90's when I noticed this and this morning it was blowing air that felt like the outside temp.

Also I have noticed occasionally if I turn the control to blow out the windshield defroster vents some pieces of light brown decayed looking foam blow out and sometimes I see it pop out the front vents, too.

So now I'm thinking it might not be AC issues at all and might be that the vents are not shifting properly. Any instructions or hints on how to check this, clean this or even access where to start? Would really REALLY like to get this straightened out as we're just getting in to the hottest part of the year.

All help greatly appreciated!
Do you have dual controls for heat/AC even if you don't google up blend door issues or do that search here

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
infinitempg
2009 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Do you have dual controls for heat/AC even if you don't google up blend door issues or do that search here
My AC control looks the same as this :

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/5...9193538_tp.jpg

Left dial is fan speed, middle dial is temperature and right dial controls the vent settings. I have seen some posts on the blend doors but that (from what I read) controls all the air coming thru the system. I have five vents of which four blow the AC cold air and ONE blows hot or outside air. That's where I get baffled.

Not sure how to access the blend door system but I'll search around some more, was hoping someone could point me to the info.

Thanks.
infinitempg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
wjjeeplkstevens
2001 WJ 

Even with the single climate control there is a blend door in there for hot and cold. The door is plastic and has a brown foam coating on it. Sounds like the door may be falling apart... the actuator that controls that door is accessible from behind the glove box. If you take the glove box out then (remove door, then the door surround panel) you will see the HVAC unit, it spans the most of the dash so the part you will be looking at is the outside of the blend door assembly (towards the right) and the heater core and blower motor (towards the left). Turn the vehicle to the on position but dont start it. Turn the blower motor on the lowest setting, and turn the temp control knob from hot to cold/cold to hot. See if you can hear the actuator turning and listen for a grinding or clicking/cracking sound. If it doesnt turn then replace the actuator (easy to find, about $20-$30 @ napa). Unfortunately tho it sounds like the more likely culprit is the blend door itself broke inside the hvac box. This is an extremely common issue with the AZC dual zone climate control systems but not heard of as much with the single zone such as yours. To replace the blend door requires removal of the HVAC assembly, which requires removal of the entire dash, (dropping the steering column, evacuating the a/c system, draining the coolant.... its a nightmare). Although some guys will actually just cut a hole in the side of the blend door housing from behind the glove box and if the blend door is broke off its axle you can actually just tape it in the A/C position so it is constantly diverting air across the A/C evaporator core. Then in the winter they will go back in, take the cover back off the hole and manually move the door down to heat where it will always divert air across the heater core. Also there is a method called 'heater treater' with is a part system designed to 'replace' the blend door with the only access being the cut out in the side of the box. Even tho they seem like a little ghetto of a repair, when its that or $1200-$1700 to R&R the hvac housing........ hope that bit of info helps a little.....good luck!
wjjeeplkstevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

I think it is a blend door issue also. Blend doors as mentioned are in all WJ HVAC systems. There are several repair kits offered that gets installed by removing the glove box.

Just google WJ blend door repair...... OR search for blend door repair right here in the WJ section!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/blend-door-1163555/

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Jonjon2014

Cool Running out of options

Hi everyone, I have the same problem on my wife's 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I changed all hoses for the AC unit and made a hole on the box to see if the blend doors were working and they do work. I also checked the freon pressure and it's good too, but for some reason the passenger side still blows warm air wile the driver side blows COLD air. Needless to say it's driving me crazy. Does anyone have any ideas?
Jonjon2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Wont be blend doors. When they fail they make to side/sides they fail on cold (it falls down blocking the warm air side of the HVAC. If you wanted heat and one side was cold....that's blend door failure. A failed blend door will not make one part HOTTER. You have issues elsewhere. Control panel/disconnected or unsealed piping perhaps......just a guess without seeing it really!!
Unread 07-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
Jonjon2014

Thank you Alfaitalia, I started thinking it was the control panel because I just checked the HVAC pressure and it's the same pressure as it was 3 days ago when I charged it. Thank you for your advice.
Unread 07-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

Odd timing for this thread.

My cousin has an '02 Laredo that has the same problems your WJ seems to be. Driver's side and center vents are nice and cold, yet the two passenger vents are warm/hot temps.

We did a little investigating this weekend and cut an access hole near the blend doors and didn't find anything obviously wrong. For some reason he seems to think it started shortly after we did his heater core about 18 months ago (don't know why he waited so long to tell me), so it's possible something got buggered up when putting the dash back on.

We plan on pulling the dash sometime in the next 4 weeks or so to see if we can figure it out. I'll let you know what we come across.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has stated.
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #10
Jonjon2014

Thanks jeeples, now that I remember the person that had the jeep before my wife did some work on the dash and and since then the rear speakers don't work even though they look in good condition. We never noticed the problem with the AC because it doesn't get as hot in North West Washington. We are visiting family in Hot Spring Arkansas and it's hot as heck here so yes now we know we have AC problems.
Unread 01-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #11
recoil1

Did you guys find anything? My 01 does this exact thing (two passenger vents blow hot but the other vents blow cold). Thanks!
recoil1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #12
pass427

I was the opposite, driver side blew warm air but the passenger side was cold. For me it was the blend door changed them this past weekend and now I have heat on driver side I bought the kit off ebay
pass427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #13
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil1 View Post
Did you guys find anything? My 01 does this exact thing (two passenger vents blow hot but the other vents blow cold). Thanks!
Sorry, we never got around to pulling the dash, between his honeymoon and my busy schedule we couldn't really find the time, now that it's winter the hot air has been welcome.

I'm sure once SLC starts hitting the 90's again it will become more of a priority for us to look at.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has stated.
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.