Absolute best spark plugs for '04 Grand Cherokee Laredo.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Absolute best spark plugs for '04 Grand Cherokee Laredo....

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

Absolute best spark plugs for '04 Grand Cherokee Laredo....

Hi there, I've been out of here for awhile so I apologize if this is a redundant post....

Well its about that time I'm almost at 60K, so I'm gonna go ahead and do this before I go on vacation in April. I recently purchased a camper so I want to squeeze every little bit of power and efficiency out of my beast. I've heard positive things about Bosch Platinum +4s' - like they put out the best "bang" - to negative like they're junk and the tips break off into the cylinder. I've heard of Iridiums, but don't know much about them.

So I'll ask all you car peeps, what would be your choice for spark plugs? Cost isn't an issue since its only done once every great while. As far as the other stuff I use, I use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and K&N air and oil filters.

Also do changing to high end spark-plug wires make any difference? Thanks for any help you can give me...

KDOG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

search, this has been asked and discussed many times.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
melloyello
1995 ZJ 

Best plugs I have ever seen for any internal combustion engines are NGK
But, IMHO, just stay clear of Autolite (aka. JUNK)
melloyello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
dmolaver15
2004 WJ 

i tried the bosch +4 thingys, they made my jeep run like a 3 legged dog on acid..

brand new set of champion copper cores are the best from what i've heard, BUT i've also been hearing about NGK plugs lately and that they're supposed to be very nice to jeep engines as well. i bought a set of NGK's from autozone about a week ago but i'm still waiting for the damn heep to come back from the dealer (grenaded rear end) to give them a try.
Super 44 with 3" Side Dump
Dana 44a, 4.56's

My Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/evolution-my-wj-623825/
dmolaver15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Eroc147
2004 WJ 

copper, must have copper, jeeps dont like that expensive crap, so be happy save a few bucks and your jeep will run better too!
Unread 01-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Turbonut

You ain't gonna see any difference with spark plugs, regardless of cost, so stick with the stock plugs, and good luck with plug wires!!!!!!!
http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/sparkplugs.htm

Q: How much of a performance improvement can I expect from changing plugs?

A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.

Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer cars' engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.

When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
melloyello
1995 ZJ 

I was recommending NGK's for their durability and long life, not as a power increase but just a form of preventitive maintenance and a better piece of mind.
Unread 01-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Spark plugs are cheap (at least for the 4.0's and going with the tried and true copper cores), swapping them out every 50-60k doesn't cost much so why waste it on NGk's...
Unread 01-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
melloyello
1995 ZJ 

I don't like to break down, so I run NGK's. Personal preference. Never had one quit b/4 it was scheduled to be replaced.
Unread 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
I don't like to break down, so I run NGK's. Personal preference. Never had one quit b/4 it was scheduled to be replaced.
Put a set of NGK Iridiums in or modified RX7 Turbo, but in 670 miles one trailing plug stopped firing. Went back to the factory NGK's and no problems before or after.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

As others have said, the best and recommended plug for the 4.0 is the cheap base model copper cores. The 4.0L does not benefit from the high end "fancy" plugs. And in some cases the more expensive plugs make 4.0s run like crap.

BTW, your WJ does not use plug wires. They use a distributor less system with a coil pack rail over the plugs.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
melloyello
1995 ZJ 

To each his own.
Unread 01-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
To each his own.
So true about the spark plug topic.
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

I've heard many stories about plugs for 4.0s. It seems that some Jeeps like certain plugs better than others.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

There are absolutely no absolutes.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.