about WJ Grand Cherokee series - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > about WJ Grand Cherokee series

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #31
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep
I think the 04's did get a few things ironed out. Fan relay's for example. And they look really good IMO. Other things can be avoided by your model choice, such as avoiding the dual climate control that was so problematic through out the WJ's entire run. And while no 4.0 model year in the WJ is immune to the piston skirt issue, it seems much more prevalent in the 99-01 model years.
I belong to the 4runner Fourm and they have the exact same issues with the blend doors on their models with the auto climate control.

86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #32
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Chose a WJ that was a lease return.

Or find one private sale that's their daily driver and need to sell it to buy a minivan for the growing family.

To me anything else for sale has the potential to have a problem. Cause that's what people do.
Unread 08-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #33
Nightmares
1999 WJ 

I'm somewhat new here but I'll throw in my .02 cents as far as the ZJ/WJ goes.

I had the opportunity to purchase either a 98 ZJ with the 5.2 or my 99 WJ with the 4.0. I work in an off road shop and my boss had both of them here, both he'd sell me for $1500, both with about the same mileage on them (I think the ZJ had 10k more on it). They both were in need of tires, and both had some cosmetic issues (what I'm trying to say is they were both in similar condition). The ZJ was in better shape, only thing wrong cosmetically was the driver's door had been swapped to a 93 Grand Wagoneer (has the wood decal) but was the same color white so with a heat gun and some soap and water I could pull the decal and have a good looking Jeep. The WJ had been in a small fender bender, requiring a hood, fender, bumper, headlight, and the plastic grille/headlight mount. I drove them both around, after pondering it for a few days went with the WJ. IMHO it was more comfortable and had better styling.

Now, what I've found after buying mine is this: the aftermarket support flat out sucks for the WJ. The more common manufacturers that make stuff for the ZJ don't for ours. The only plus I've found is what aftermarket there is made for ours, seems to be a lot better looking than the ZJ's (such as the protofab bumpers I'm going to get).

Although the off road capabilities is the same, the overall objective is harder to get to. My buddy has a 98 with a 4" RC lift, and he clears and wheels with 33x12.50's and can fully tuck the wheels up. My 99 with a 4" will barely clear 32x10.50's and even then I'm going to be rubbing on select locations. However, if you can get the quadra-drive, that's one thing the ZJ does not have. Went wheeling a few weeks ago with my buddy in his 98 and we ran into a WJ with the quadra-drive with just a BB and some 30" tires, and he was going up and around stuff we struggled with in the ZJ and open diff's.

Overall, I'm happy I went with the WJ, but I wish the aftermarket support would catch up. My work is a distributor of BDS/JKS/Zone/Fox and I called and asked if there was anything in the work's for a 6" LA kit for mine, to which there is not currently or (at least in the near future) anything foreseen to be done.

So to the OP, us giving you our opinions is going to lean you to the way we want you to go. If you listen to my opinion, the Limited with all it's features are useless on a Jeep. Who needs a sunroof or dual climate control, and the V8 in the WJ isn't worth the extra power vs gas mileage (my 4.0 is pretty stout for a 6 cylinder and I'm averaging 16-17 with a lot of freeway driving). But that's my opinion on what I wanted, but when it comes down to it, it's not about what I want. It's about what you want. From what I've seen, the 04's seem to have the best looks and have the bugs worked out, but that's about the only proven fact's out there. Everyone here has a different experience and view on their Jeeps, so us telling you how we see things isn't going to give you a proper perspective.
Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #34
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Chose a WJ that was a lease return.

Or find one private sale that's their daily driver and need to sell it to buy a minivan for the growing family.

To me anything else for sale has the potential to have a problem. Cause that's what people do.
I would not buy a lease return unless you can verify they followed the maintenance schedule. Almost everybody I know who leases vehicles barely even has the oil changed they just pay the penalties at the end of the lease instead of taking care of them...... (morons).

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #35
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10
I would not buy a lease return unless you can verify they followed the maintenance schedule. Almost everybody I know who leases vehicles barely even has the oil changed they just pay the penalties at the end of the lease instead of taking care of them...... (morons).
Well at least with a lease return you know it is for sale because the lease ran out. Rather than a blown motor with motor honey to make it quiet enough to trade, or a blown head gasket with head gasket sealer goop in to trade it in.

You get my point.
Unread 08-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #36
BrokeWJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegdog View Post
just a few thoughts,

From a guy who had his 4.7 fail, I can say its actually all about maintenance. The previous owner didn't take care of it, like they claimed. Also my mechanic said the main failure he has seen on them has been oil pumps. The fact that there are many people on the forum who have well over 150K even as much as 300K on them, says that they can't be totally crap. Heck I've seen Toyota engines blow up around 180k. Even the 4.0 in certain years, has piston skirt failure.
Some of the nicest I've seen had 398k on them. I've rarely seen over 400k- not sure that I have. But they have enough value in them that individuals of the less proper type might well roll back the miles- a vehicle that old yet still popular would be hurt much more by showing 500k than being TMU with over 200k showing.

One of the reason Jeeps are such good, long-lasting vehicles is that the XJ and subsequent models had a unit-based suspension system. A part goes bad, you fix it, it drives good again. Sometimes weird parts go bad- but you can fix them and make them drive good again. They're very modular vehicles- it's full of small modules that go bad that make a good vehicle. So, instead of having any huge significant parts to repair, you have a cheap parts that slowly wear in their life.

I like the V8, hate the trans. Only had to do the blend doors. Sunroof works good. Speaker has stopped working once or twice on driver's side- I'm fairly sure seat controls don't go back as far as they used to but I'm probably spoiled by driving trucks with larger front seats recently. Had to do a clutch fan, something else in cooling system needs replacement. Did a tie rod, needs something else now. Transfer case has a weird part broke in it- have a replacement. Change the oil every 5k in the garage- even did it before lifting it. Mileage is good for tank size, not much I've driven has had as long a range. Have a Jeep that came from up North. Almost no rust, unfortunately most of it was on the lines so I had to do rear lines, a booster, and a master.
BrokeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #37
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

My 2nd daughter, and I, have been searching for a 2nd car for her. Her 2003 Honda Accord has been nothing but problem, after problem (and I thought Hondas were supposed to be very reliable).
She is looking at the Pontiac Torrents, because she likes the way they look, and she wants more room to haul her stuff to and from college.
I started searching for problems with 2006 Pontiac Torrents, and saw that they had blend doors breaking, too. The actuators were extending too far and breaking the shaft, but you cannot fix them through the glove box, like our Jeeps, you have to remove the whole dash. Be glad there are smart, DIY, Jeep guys, around to help.
They also had a problem with wires, breaking inside the door boot. It seems that GM used a wiring harness that was too tight and people's wires started breaking around the end of the warranty period. GM wouldn't do anything about it. I read that some people were soldering the wires back together. I attached a picture someone sent in to Edmunds.
Also, wheel bearings go out every 30k miles, or so. Be glad you have a Jeep, that you can still drive, even with problems.

Sent from my iPad using Electrons
image-2691411170.jpg

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #38
BrokeWJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
My 2nd daughter, and I, have been searching for a 2nd car for her. Her 2003 Honda Accord has been nothing but problem, after problem (and I thought Hondas were supposed to be very reliable).
She is looking at the Pontiac Torrents, because she likes the way they look, and she wants more room to haul her stuff to and from college.
I started searching for problems with 2006 Pontiac Torrents, and saw that they had blend doors breaking, too. The actuators were extending too far and breaking the shaft, but you cannot fix them through the glove box, like our Jeeps, you have to remove the whole dash. Be glad there are smart, DIY, Jeep guys, around to help.
They also had a problem with wires, breaking inside the door boot. It seems that GM used a wiring harness that was too tight and people's wires started breaking around the end of the warranty period. GM wouldn't do anything about it. I read that some people were soldering the wires back together. I attached a picture someone sent in to Edmunds.
Also, wheel bearings go out every 30k miles, or so. Be glad you have a Jeep, that you can still drive, even with problems.

My dad had one of those Torrents. Drove it about 186k miles, and after the fifth heater core let go decided to replace the whole thing instead of another heater core after getting to pay for 2 or 3. Didn't have to do too many wheel bearings- like 2 or 3. Blend doors were great.

I don't think they did a good job redesigning those into "SUV"s- the Buick cars were much better and typically are good as well as relatively inexpensive. But wheel bearings is right.

It's not that Hondas are reliable, it's that the problems are more expensive so you hope they are. In more seriousness- I've never seen them to be better enough to be worth spending more money than a Domestic vehicle. The Toyotas are a little more reliable even though the handling sucks. Not a fan of a car that can't handle quite as good as a lawn mower.
BrokeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #39
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post

If that has GM's "high feature" V6 it will have timing chain issues as-well. Most engines should have timing chains or belts replaced between 100-150k mi anyway......

Unread 08-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #40
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Well at least with a lease return you know it is for sale because the lease ran out. Rather than a blown motor with motor honey to make it quiet enough to trade, or a blown head gasket with head gasket sealer goop in to trade it in.

You get my point.
Yeah I get your point.
Just don't necessarily agree, but to each there own. Most major issues like you described can be spotted by by knowing what to look for and feel for on the dip-stick or down the oil fill hole.

Unread 08-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #41
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10
Yeah I get your point. Just don't necessarily agree, but to each there own. Most major issues like you described can be spotted by by knowing what to look for and feel for on the dip-stick or down the oil fill hole.
I agree. Just my policy for buying something used. I know too many people that trade in at the first sign of problems with trans etc.

Then its the guy posting the I had my xxx for a month now and it started doing...........
Unread 08-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #42
ahmedsb

most of you do n't care about my note:
Note: In my country the weather is hot. Is that make different or not?
ahmedsb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 09:14 PM   #43
mrtoner

2001 WJ 

I think we saw your note but did not think the heat is critical.

There are thousands of WJs in the Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Southern California deserts, and we see a lot of heat for months at a time.

Keep it maintained, and it will not care about the heat.
Unread 08-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #44
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
If by "refined" you mean must cheaper interior materials, terrible seats, problematic HVAC systems, prone to interior leaks, and a total PITA to service and work on compared to all other Jeeps before them... then yeah I'll go with that.

To the OP... I would stay away from the 4.7L engine. As everybody knows, they usually die prior to 150,000 miles. Not a good engine for longevity at all. And in talking to a huge auto salvage place this week...there are so many people looking for replacement engines right now that 4.7Ls are getting hard to find and some are selling for as much as $1,800...for the engine alone!
where do you get your info from.....180000 miles on our 04, have replaced power steering unit and the alt. other than that, reg main. quite a few 4.7 at 200000 miles plus.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 04:12 AM   #45
ahmedsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoner View Post
I think we saw your note but did not think the heat is critical.

There are thousands of WJs in the Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Southern California deserts, and we see a lot of heat for months at a time.

Keep it maintained, and it will not care about the heat.
Thanks man , but which parts I must change to keep it maintained.
ahmedsb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.