about WJ Grand Cherokee series - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > about WJ Grand Cherokee series

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-22-2014, 06:51 AM   #16
Cleaner13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
If by "refined" you mean must cheaper interior materials, terrible seats, problematic HVAC systems, prone to interior leaks, and a total PITA to service and work on compared to all other Jeeps before them... then yeah I'll go with that.

To the OP... I would stay away from the 4.7L engine. As everybody knows, they usually die prior to 150,000 miles. Not a good engine for longevity at all. And in talking to a huge auto salvage place this week...there are so many people looking for replacement engines right now that 4.7Ls are getting hard to find and some are selling for as much as $1,800...for the engine alone!
Im not sure why in every thread you have a knock on the WJ and the 4.7 engine..... especially when you dont own one...

To the OP
I love my seats in the interior, they are probably the most comfortable seats Ive been in.

The hvac can be an issue with the blend door, but its also fixed for like $100 with the heater treater and its never an issue again..

Im not sure about the cheaper materials thing, but then again the only people that complain about that stuff are usually the land rover guys because they cant beat us offroading....

I have 0 interior or exterior leaks and my crappy, unrealiable WJ is sitting over 300K miles...

As far as service Im really not sure what he means either, I guarantee its easier to do service on the 4.7 then the other V8s, you want to talk about a pita? How about that distributor on the 5.2 and 5.9? I can do my plugs in 20 mins and I have no distributor to ever change.... Oil changes? it takes longer for the oil to drain then the actual work... How about an alternator? mine took under 5 mins to change (yeah you read that right...)

How about the safety? WJ wins that too... especially when you get to 02+ with side air bags...

Quadradrive vs quadra trac 1, its not even close...

Im not even getting into the rest, OP if it were me I would look for an 01+ with the 4.7 and the hydraulic fan, then choose based on whatever options you like..
Again as suggest you can get an 04 freedom with the 4.7HO engine, laredo options and the 242 transfercase if you like, this would also have most of the original bugs out and should still give you the hydraulic fan...

Unread 08-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #17
derekmac

2002 WJ 

It seems that most here in the WJ section have learned to ignore WXman. I'm not going to knock the ZJ's, but I have been in them, and don't like them as much as my WJ, and I have had ZJ guys in my Jeep, and they prefer it over their ZJ's.

The reason I had said 02 and up was for the hydraulic fan, and the evap canister is in the back instead of being under the hood.
Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
http://www.gofundme.com/d8jlwo
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #18
Cleaner13

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmac View Post

It seems that most here in the WJ section have learned to ignore WXman. I'm not going to knock the ZJ's, but I have been in them, and don't like them as much as my WJ, and I have had ZJ guys in my Jeep, and they prefer it over their ZJ's.

The reason I had said 02 and up was for the hydraulic fan, and the evap canister is in the back instead of being under the hood.
Im not knocking the ZJ either as I do like them also, however this thread was not about them at all.
Also Im not sure if you knew, but 01 started with hydraulic fans because I have one and its really awesome...
I did not know about the evap canister thing
Unread 08-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #19
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

About to turn 186K on my 4.7. Strong like ox. Do not let overheat. Fix leaks.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleaner13 View Post
Im not sure why in every thread you have a knock on the WJ and the 4.7 engine..... especially when you dont own one...
A) I have owned two of them, not one. B) It's better to tell a potential buyer the truth before they buy. At least, that's what I would want.

As far as seats go...when the WJ first came out, one magazine editor wrote that they were the worst seats he'd sat in for the previous 5 years of testing cars. He didn't say if it was a Limited or Laredo. Mine is a Laredo and the seats in my ZJ are LIGHTYEARS ahead of these.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #21
BrokeWJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanWJ View Post
I always think about what I would have done differently. My ideal combination would have been a Laredo model with the V8 and Quadradrive, preferably a 2001 with the tow package. I say 2001, because that was the first year of the hydraulic fan, and it is quieter and seems more efficient than the clutch roaring fan I have in my 2000. There is information about the pros and cons of this cooling system in the guide posted above.

But, I don't know what years you could get Quadradrive with a Laredo. I think I've only seen it in 99-00, but I know it exists. Also, I chose Laredo for the bare bones aspect. I don't like having a sunroof (more stuff to break/leak), and the dual zone climate control almost always fails on the Limited's but the Laredo's don't have this. My $0.02.
Being a guy who sits back more often I find the Laredo seating position more comfortable, but the Limited seems more comfortable for most women to drive.

Quote:
If by "refined" you mean must cheaper interior materials, terrible seats, problematic HVAC systems, prone to interior leaks, and a total PITA to service and work on compared to all other Jeeps before them... then yeah I'll go with that.

To the OP... I would stay away from the 4.7L engine. As everybody knows, they usually die prior to 150,000 miles. Not a good engine for longevity at all. And in talking to a huge auto salvage place this week...there are so many people looking for replacement engines right now that 4.7Ls are getting hard to find and some are selling for as much as $1,800...for the engine alone!
That's what good Hemis start at. I've put 45k on one so far- lots out there with a whole lot more miles than that. Unlike the Hemis, I'm unaware of issues unrelated to service- a well-kept Jeep will be good- those that aren't as well kept may have issues early. Very common to all newer engines. The 4.7s are expensive, but not astoundingly expensive- and aren't bad to rebuild. Far from flawless, but a pretty decent newer engine.

Yeah- refined would be the term. Fewer with fallen headliners, smoother ride, better x-fer case, better brakes. They're better whether you like them as good or not, there are certainly things I like about others better- but they are a nicer truck.

I'm in a mild climate where it gets hot. Things get old and break down- you replace those parts. A truck with cooling issues will overheat when it's 32 out, and one without won't have any troubles with 110+ degree heat in the middle of Summer- including the WJs.
BrokeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #22
jimmay
1999 WJ 

I have a 99 with 153k miles on it. My climate varies from below zero to over 100( although not this year). I have never had a problem with my WJ. It started every day when the temperature was -10 and the wind chill was -30. My engine doesn't leak any fluids. If you neglect any vehicle, it will turn into a pile of garbage sooner or later. The interior on mine is nicer than my friends who has half the miles, and is 4 years newer. Why? Because I take care of mine.

That being said, try and find a newer one (02-04) and possibly an overland. I think they are the best looking ones, and the hydraulic fan pulls a ton of air. Plus factory rock rails and armor are always nice, and i love their interiors.
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #23
Fellows45
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman
If by "refined" you mean must cheaper interior materials, terrible seats, problematic HVAC systems, prone to interior leaks, and a total PITA to service and work on compared to all other Jeeps before them... then yeah I'll go with that. To the OP... I would stay away from the 4.7L engine. As everybody knows, they usually die prior to 150,000 miles. Not a good engine for longevity at all. And in talking to a huge auto salvage place this week...there are so many people looking for replacement engines right now that 4.7Ls are getting hard to find and some are selling for as much as $1,800...for the engine alone!
Again this is just not true.. If it's a well maintained 4.7 it will last forever. This stigma with the 4.7 just isn't true. I have 3 in my family that have gone 250k+
And as far as replacement engines. They are in the high side, but your most likely comparing it to the 4.0 which you can go and practically get paid to take those off people. I just don't think your being fair to a great vehicle.

1989 Wrangler YJ 2.5, 2 inch body lift, 33 inch tires
Fellows45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Having owned most every model and motor jeep has made in the last 20 years.......I would agree that the reliability of the 4.0 is unbeatable, maintained or not. The 4.7s are reliable if taken care of, I've seen 3 go in the last year but none of the 3 were properly taken care of. 2 dropped valves and the other knoks like hell. I've owned ZJs and they do seem a bit more rugged than the WJ, WJs started gearing toward the soccer mom market but not completley, I would not currently buy a ZJ vs a WJ but other than my XJ the 98 Ltd with the 5.2 was my favorite jeep I owned and the strongest. But I have a soft spot for the 4.0, any true jeep guy does but I definitely miss my v8 when I'm driving the WJ.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #25
new2site
2002 WJ 

What are the odds there's a "WXman" and a "WXmanwj" ???
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #26
BrokeWJ
1999 WJ 

I've not had any mechanical issues from my sunroof. Once in a while I have to blow out the drains- but compared to the other car with a sunroof it lays outside with, it's much less often. About once every six months instead of a month and a half. This is a normal part of having a sunroof if it's outside under trees a lot.
BrokeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #27
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Quote:
A) I have owned two of them, not one. B) It's better to tell a potential buyer the truth before they buy. At least, that's what I would want.

As far as seats go...when the WJ first came out, one magazine editor wrote that they were the worst seats he'd sat in for the previous 5 years of testing cars. He didn't say if it was a Limited or Laredo. Mine is a Laredo and the seats in my ZJ are LIGHTYEARS ahead of these.
just a few thoughts,

From a guy who had his 4.7 fail, I can say its actually all about maintenance. The previous owner didn't take care of it, like they claimed. Also my mechanic said the main failure he has seen on them has been oil pumps. The fact that there are many people on the forum who have well over 150K even as much as 300K on them, says that they can't be totally crap. Heck I've seen Toyota engines blow up around 180k. Even the 4.0 in certain years, has piston skirt failure.

As for the seats, I find the seats in my 99 limited, pretty dang comfortable. I sit tall and close to the wheel and they are very supportive. Are there better seats? sure, but I don't think the seats are a problem the WJs have. The ZJ might be better, buts thats still a matter of opinion. I have had passengers comment on how comfortable my seats are.

One last thing! Be advised if you buy one with a black interior. They get crazy hot in the summer, no matter what you do! Bring a sweat rag!
Thegdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #28
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2site View Post
What are the odds there's a "WXman" and a "WXmanwj" ???
Haha thought this too. I wondered what his name means....
Unread 08-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #29
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

I think the 04's did get a few things ironed out. Fan relay's for example. And they look really good IMO. Other things can be avoided by your model choice, such as avoiding the dual climate control that was so problematic through out the WJ's entire run. And while no 4.0 model year in the WJ is immune to the piston skirt issue, it seems much more prevalent in the 99-01 model years.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #30
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Whatever one you do decide on,
you need to realize that JEEP's are very dependent on proper maintenance, they are high maintenance at certain mileage intervals BUT when this is done properly they will last FOREVER !

This is not a "just do oil changes" kind of vehicle.

I'm just cresting 150K in the WJ and currently rounding up roughly $1000 worth of parts to ensure I get another 100k mi worry free.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.