about WJ Grand Cherokee series - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > about WJ Grand Cherokee series

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
ahmedsb

about WJ Grand Cherokee series

Hi

I wonna buy WJ Grand Cherokee but I confused because I don't have experience. Which the best of WJ Grand Cherokee series 1999,2000,2001,2002,2003 or 2004 and why ?

Note: In my country the weather is hot. Is that make different or not?

Last edited by ahmedsb; 08-22-2014 at 01:36 AM..
ahmedsb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The Ultimate WJ Grand Cherokee Buyer's Guide
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
ahmedsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I need answers from your experience.
Unread 08-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
braddf
2001 WJ 

The newer the model the better I suppose. Plenty of time jeep to have worked out any flaws.
Unread 08-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
JRobes
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedsb View Post
I need answers from your experience.
This guide was put together by experienced authors.
Pearl Black 2004 Overland - OME HD springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quick Disco's, JKS Track Bar, IRO Rear Sway Bar Links, Moog TRE's, K&N filter, Audio Aux Input, 10th Anniv. 2013 Rubi Rims, 32.1" BFG KM's, removable rear seat mod
JRobes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

They didn't work out any flaws except the head cracking issue on the 4.0L engine. The other flaws remained through 2004.

I would buy a 1996-1998 model if I had the choice. Those are the best Grand Cherokees ever made. If I had to pick a WJ, I'd shoot for a 99-01 because they had more options available on more trim levels. Later on in the run there were certain things you could only get on a Limited.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
derekmac

2002 WJ 

The WJ's are much more refined than the ZJ's. Personally I'd go for an 02 and up.
Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
derekmac is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

I always think about what I would have done differently. My ideal combination would have been a Laredo model with the V8 and Quadradrive, preferably a 2001 with the tow package. I say 2001, because that was the first year of the hydraulic fan, and it is quieter and seems more efficient than the clutch roaring fan I have in my 2000. There is information about the pros and cons of this cooling system in the guide posted above.

But, I don't know what years you could get Quadradrive with a Laredo. I think I've only seen it in 99-00, but I know it exists. Also, I chose Laredo for the bare bones aspect. I don't like having a sunroof (more stuff to break/leak), and the dual zone climate control almost always fails on the Limited's but the Laredo's don't have this. My $0.02.
Unread 08-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanWJ View Post
I always think about what I would have done differently. My ideal combination would have been a Laredo model with the V8 and Quadradrive, preferably a 2001 with the tow package. I say 2001, because that was the first year of the hydraulic fan, and it is quieter and seems more efficient than the clutch roaring fan I have in my 2000. There is information about the pros and cons of this cooling system in the guide posted above.

But, I don't know what years you could get Quadradrive with a Laredo. I think I've only seen it in 99-00, but I know it exists. Also, I chose Laredo for the bare bones aspect. I don't like having a sunroof (more stuff to break/leak), and the dual zone climate control almost always fails on the Limited's but the Laredo's don't have this. My $0.02.
I agree with this^^^ but I love my 2002 Limited. being 12 years old having all the options is pretty sweet. and most still work except like, the cruise control and heated seats. Only thing I wanted is the un-painted Laredo side cladding
Unread 08-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Cleaner13

If you want one of the best combos(in my opinion), look for an 04 freedom edition, it comes with a laredo body style, the 4.7HO(look for this engine, its only this or the 4.0) 242 transfercase, low options and the updated 04 look
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Get a 04. All the production problems were ironed out. I don't think there were any recals at all for the 04.

Pop rad cap and look for pink antifreeze and crawl under rad and look at the Hydro fan motor where the wires connect. If you got pink coolant and three wires all connected to the hydro fan solenoid, and you trust the rest its a keeper.

I have a Laredo with the V8 and most all the options of the limited except the qudradrive. And for 600 I could put axles under and have that too.
The auto climate control is awesome until it brakes. So its your preference.

Look at the rear brake lines for rust if you live in the snow belt. My 04 was from New Jersey and it rusted out this spring.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #12
mustang67ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Get a 04. All the production problems were ironed out. I don't think there were any recals at all for the 04.

Pop rad cap and look for pink antifreeze.
What's up with the pink antifreeze?
mustang67ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #13
ahmedsb

In my country the weather is hot. Is that make different or not?
Unread 08-22-2014, 02:52 AM   #14
HighOutput
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedsb View Post
In my country the weather is hot. Is that make different or not?
I lived in the middle of Australia for 12 months and it gets really hot. I have the 03 Overland model.

Never overheated, but I do reckon Wj's are not fond of consistent heat. Sensors probably break down quicker than a cooler climate, however, if you can get parts delivered to your location, then great

If you do buy a WJ 4.7, buy a crank + cam shaft position sensor from MOPAR and keep it in your glove box. Probably get all the 02 sensors why'll your at it.
HighOutput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #15
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmac View Post
The WJ's are much more refined than the ZJ's. Personally I'd go for an 02 and up.
If by "refined" you mean must cheaper interior materials, terrible seats, problematic HVAC systems, prone to interior leaks, and a total PITA to service and work on compared to all other Jeeps before them... then yeah I'll go with that.

To the OP... I would stay away from the 4.7L engine. As everybody knows, they usually die prior to 150,000 miles. Not a good engine for longevity at all. And in talking to a huge auto salvage place this week...there are so many people looking for replacement engines right now that 4.7Ls are getting hard to find and some are selling for as much as $1,800...for the engine alone!
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.