About to Seafoam - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > About to Seafoam

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
JeepDrew_94
2000 WJ 

About to Seafoam

I am about to Seafoam my 2000 WJ 4.0L with 111,xxx miles. Have a few questions. Adding half can to gas and crankcase.

1. When adding seafoam to the crankcase, how soon should I do an oil change? Planning on doing it sunday morning, maybe tonight if I get done with yard work.

2. When adding seafoam to the gas tank, would I need to change the fuel filter after fresh gas is added? Its got a half tank now.

Thanks for the help.

JeepDrew_94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

To answer your questions

1.- I would do an oil change between 200-400 miles after. That gives it time to make its way through the engine. 200 is a safe bet.

2.-I have never heard of anyone needing to do that. I sure have never done it. I would put the seafoam in with your current half tank and wait to add fuel until there is only a gallon or so left.
Thegdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
RMSpiel
2004 WJ 

Usually with the seafoam in the crankcase I've heard 150-250 miles is a safe bet, with the gas you don't have to change the fuel filter, just have to let the gas get down to a gallon or two
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
JeepDrew_94
2000 WJ 

Thanks for the replys. Im about to head outside and add the seafoam and smoke out the neighborhood. Good thing i live out in the country.
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

He is wondering about the fuel filter cause, if his tank has a lot of gunk the seafoam will uproot it and will then get lodged in the filter rendering it useless and partially clogging it. It is possible, but odds are it won't happen. After you do it, if you start noticing weird things that relate to fuel pressure then I would look into changing it, but don't worry about it.

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
JeepDrew_94
2000 WJ 

Yea that is what i was worried about. I will keep an eye on it. Just put it in, how long should i let it sit before starting it back up?
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDrew_94
Yea that is what i was worried about. I will keep an eye on it. Just put it in, how long should i let it sit before starting it back up?
I have never given it any sort of time. Other than the minute it has taken me to get back in and start it.
Thegdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
CopperDeer
1999 WJ 

The bottle says wait 5 minutes. I think it might have used to say 10 min, thats how long I wait. I used to inject the Seafoam kinda slowly but now I just load it in till it stalls itself under light throttle. I think this is where most the cleaning happens, while it's sitting with the engine off. Otherwise you're just burning the product straight through without it having a chance to do much.
CopperDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
DavisI
2002 WJ 

Can anyone post a picture of where the brake booster line is? That's where I've read that you're supposed to put the seafoam in, but I don't know where it is.
DavisI is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #10
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

On the driver's side under the hood, look for the brake master cylinder. It's a big black donut looking thing. It's the 1/2 inch rubber hose running into it.
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
JeepDrew_94
2000 WJ 

I let it sit for aBOUT 2 hours last night and started it up and no smoke at all. Added half can to gas tank and half to crankcase. Was gonna add it to the break booster line but was afraid of hydro locking. slow flow into the tube or let it suck out of the bottle?
Started the Jeep up this morning and still no smoke. Went ahead and changed the oil using Castrol GTX high mileage 5W30. Couldnt find the oil filter wrench in the shop anywhere so its still got the old filter on. How long can it stay? Ive got the new filter just couldnt get the old one off.
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

you didn't get any smoke because you didn't add it to the break booster, thats the only way to get the smoke. Slowly let it suck out of a bottle. Dont just drop the hose in the seafoam and go, you need to hold it over it while it slowly sucks it up.

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
JeepDrew_94
2000 WJ 

Thanks, I will get another can add it later this week or next weekend. Hopefully what i added to the gas tank will atleast clean my injectors.
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
CopperDeer
1999 WJ 

Inject up to 1/3 can (per instructions) into the brake booster line. Don't just stick the line in the bottle and let it drink it, but don't go so slow that it burns all the Seafoam up before you can turn the engine off. It's easiest if you get a bowl or something to dose the Seafoam out in. Let the engine stall or turn it off and wait 5-10 minutes, then start engine up and rev it between 1500-2000 rpm for a minute or so. Once the neighborhood looks like a bomb went off, flee the scene

I think if you use Seafoam in the crankcase, you should give it at least a few days of driving to work itself through before changing the oil. And 5W-30 seems like a really light viscosity for July in SC...
CopperDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
ssands85
1995 ZJ 

I don't know about you guys but neither of my 4.0's will die when I seafoam em... using the brake booster vacuum line they just chug a bit, smoke like Willie nelson, and keep on running. I have had to have someone else there to shut the key off every time or they just stay running.
ssands85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.