About to install IRO longarms - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > About to install IRO longarms

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Reply
Unread 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #16
Jaketit
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
You can't really tell anything by those pictures. I don't like that trackback drop bracket, even welded in place.
maybe theses pictures are better?? I'm not a fan of that RC bracket either. I'm going to replace my steering box next and really dive into getting this straightened out. Maybe install a stock size pitman arm and loose that bracket, since I now have the adjustable track bar. Does this sound right??

Jaketit is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #17
Jaketit
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
maybe theses pictures are better?? I'm not a fan of that RC bracket either. I'm going to replace my steering box next and really dive into getting this straightened out. Maybe install a stock size pitman arm and loose that bracket, since I now have the adjustable track bar. Does this sound right??
. Sorry forgot the pics.

image-3598064799.jpg



image-1677565436.jpg
Jaketit is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #18
Jeeples
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: forum/f310/, UT
Posts: 4,403
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like your TB is adjusted too short. The TB and draglink should be parallel to each other, also if you look at your passenger side spring it's bowed in towards the driver side of your Jeep.

If you can, cut off the welded drop bracket and lengthen that TB. However, take my diagnosis with a grain of salt, I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable members will chime in.
__________________
His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- stock

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #19
skain8
Under Construction
 
skain8's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 3,588
Zoom out some more. Get string and show pivot point to pivot point of trackbar and draglink. The lengths are not going to be equal no matter what you do (absent major fabrication), but you should be able to get a fair look at whether they are parallel.

That kit comes with both of those pieces (dpa, tb drop) designed to work together, so if you remove both, your angles will likely be the same as you have now.
__________________
Tom

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #20
Tollmtn
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: , MT
Posts: 542
When I look at your track bar and look at RCs installation instructions I am lead to believe that your track bar is on backwards and upside down. IF that is an RC track bar. I could be wrong but check it out, the link is to an instructions pdf.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...61190604,d.aWM

Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #21
Jaketit
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollmtn View Post
When I look at your track bar and look at RCs installation instructions I am lead to believe that your track bar is on backwards and upside down. IF that is an RC track bar. I could be wrong but check it out, the link is to an instructions pdf. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...61190604,d.aWM
Son of a *****. I think you're right. Wtf. It's been like that awhile. Totally embarrassed.
Jaketit is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #22
Jaketit
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Zoom out some more. Get string and show pivot point to pivot point of trackbar and draglink. The lengths are not going to be equal no matter what you do (absent major fabrication), but you should be able to get a fair look at whether they are parallel. That kit comes with both of those pieces (dpa, tb drop) designed to work together, so if you remove both, your angles will likely be the same as you have now.
. To dark to do that now. But I believe the kit comes with the dpa and drop bracket so you can use your stock trackbar.
Jaketit is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #23
99WJ01TJ
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
Son of a *****. I think you're right. Wtf. It's been like that awhile. Totally embarrassed.
X2 o. The tb being installed upside down. The adjuster is supposed to be near the pitman arm. Would be a pain in the @as to adjust it that close to the draglink. At least that's how I mounted my Currie tb.
99WJ01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 12:28 AM   #24
texlurch
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lake George, CO
Posts: 1,225
yep, your TB is in backwards.
Problem at 4 in + without either a TB/Pitman drop or OTK steering is the draglink angles get pretty severe.
If you don't want to do the OTK, you might consider the IRO TB bracket which spans both frame rails and is much stiffer than the RC bracket.
__________________
Just another old fart in a Jeep... watchout younguns!!!
RC LA, IRO 6 in springs, OTK, Bilsteins, Aussie, Eaton, RCV's, 242-SYE, hidden winch, JCR Stage 3, skidded and trussed & sleeved
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #25
Jaketit
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 684
Ok so it's a beautiful day here in south Florida, so I flipped the track bar to the right way. Thank you for all of you that pointed out my stoopid mistake. Freshened everything up down below alittle bit. But as for the angles of the track bar and the drag link they still seem off.

image-3753994771.jpg



image-3506476979.jpg
Jaketit is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #26
Jaketit
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 684
I tightened the shyte out of the track bar hardware also. Gonna give my local gnarly bump a try tomorrow.
Jaketit is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #27
Jaketit
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 684
Any thoughts on removing the RC transfer case drop kit that's on there now while installing the IRO brackets. I've had a slight vibe since I put the kit on 2years ago. It looks like the brackets will add another eighth of an inch to the drop. I'm not really sure how the long arms out a little further and RC drop spacers will affect it, if any.
Jaketit is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #28
ThaBeefs
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gepp, Arkansas
Posts: 134
i jsut put a 4 inch lift on mine from RC and did not install the drop brackets and so far so good.
__________________
2003 WJ - Rough Country X-Series 4 inch lift - Dick Cepek DC-2 17x9 Wheels - Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/70/17 tires - 35w 6k HID lows & fogs , 55w 8k HID highs.
ThaBeefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #29
brouwmat
Web Wheeler
 
brouwmat's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Posts: 1,048
Just removed my TC drop after having it on there for the past 9 months and didn't notice any difference at all. (4" lift)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #30
Tollmtn
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: , MT
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
Any thoughts on removing the RC transfer case drop kit that's on there now while installing the IRO brackets. I've had a slight vibe since I put the kit on 2years ago. It looks like the brackets will add another eighth of an inch to the drop. I'm not really sure how the long arms out a little further and RC drop spacers will affect it, if any.
IRO includes a pair of aluminum cross member drop spacers in their 4" and 6.5" kit. At 4" I did not use them. But at 6.5" you may have to use either the IRO or RC X member drops. IF your IRO caster/pinion angle bracket runs out of adjustment before you can adjust out front driveline vibration. Personally I would leave them out to see if you can get by without them. You could always put them back in as a last resort if you have vibrations.
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.