Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

About to buy. What are problem areas on a 02 Grand Cherokee?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Keith F 
#1 ·
Hi, just joined. Would appreciate some advice!

Am looking to buy a new 02 GC Laredo, 2WD, 6cyl from a dealer. With the 7yr warranty, $2500 rebates and low financing we can get a great deal.

Will be the base model with just an option or 2. This is for my wife to use as a grocery getter.

This is our first Jeep and Chrysler vehicle. Are there any things we should know? Would you recommend this vehicle?

I've read here about people having problems with brake shudder, and with the vehicle jumping out of park into reverse. I'm hoping that's solved in 02. Or are those issues still there?

I plan to add an aftermarket tow hitch and wiring, and use the CG occasionally (when my Ford F350 is in the shop - say twice a year at most) to tow a 4500lb boat to the lake. It's a flat 20min run. I don't plan to add the factory trailering kit as it changes the rear axle ratio. Anyone see any problems doing this? The literature says the 6cyl is good for 5000lbs, and I figure the non-cooler equiped auto tranny can handle a short flat run.

Thanks! Keith.

See less See more
#2 ·
Keith ... well I have had 3 Jeeps ... all Grand Cherokee Limited's. The one I just bought is a 2WD though. In total my family has had, including myself, 9 Jeeps - 8 Grand Cherokee Limited's and 1 Laredo. I have to say that they have all been excellent to own and my last one had 175,000 miles on it. My parents have a V8 and 4WD ... they also tow the 24" boat to Keys twice a month. Never had a problem putting or pulling the boat at the ramp. I would recommend highly the V8 and the 4WD seeing that you have a boat. A 2WD would not be a good choice to pull the boat around ... especially at the ramp. We have had the actual Jeep hitch and aftermarket ones also. Both are good. It would probably be cheaper aftermarket. I would also recommend the extra extended warrenty ... I bought that too which added about a grand to the price!! As far as the interior room .. my dad is 6'6" and has plenty and whoever sits behind him still has room for their legs to stretch out. If you have kids this is a perfect SUV for you. Drives and handles like a car with all the luxuries of the truck. If you want ask me some more questions just email me!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.