99GC radio wiring question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99GC radio wiring question

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
mustang67ford

99GC radio wiring question

I am putting in an aftermarket deck in a 99GC with the basic radio system. looking at the plugs on the stock radio, there is a connection for a panel lamp driver and a park lamp relay output. I can't figure out what these are and I do not have a connection for them on my aftermarket deck. Does anybody know what these are and do I need to hook them up somehow?

Next, I do not have the infinity system so I shouldn't have an amp. However the plug on the stock radio does have a wire leaving as an enable signal to amp. I am guessing this wire goes to where the amp would be and not connected to anything meaning I don't need to connect it?

mustang67ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Should have started off here http://www.wjjeeps.com/audiowire.htm
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
mustang67ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Should have started off here http://www.wjjeeps.com/audiowire.htm
I did. That is how I figured out I had a wire for park lamp, lamp driver, and amp enable that I am trying to figure out what to do with. Are the park lamp and lamp driver only needed for the stock radio and I don't need to hook them up to an aftermarket deck? Do I need to hook up to the amp signal since the wire is there even though I don't think I have an amp?
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
knudsen
1999 WJ 

If you had an amp its probably under rear passenger side seat. mine is on my 99 with infinity.

I think the three wires in question will be no connect. If the new head has a wire to light it up with oower off, you may want to connect one of the to in question from the jeep wires to new head. The instructions or wires should state one is for 12v key on and another for 12 v constant. maybe another for lights. Get a meter or lamp on two wires and play with these two and see how they behave.

The wire for remote amp comes on when the stereo is on. Its purpose in life is not to power an amp, but to remotely turn it on. Power to the amp itself is best provided by its own heavy wire going straight to battery + with a fuse at the battery end. More important for hi watt amps.

You could use that wire for the amp to power anything lo power. disco ball?

If you can return it, get one from crutchfield. They come with a free install kit, instructions for your exact vehicle, and phone support. Plug and play, they give you an adapter harness. I know car stereo, but why think when I dont have to ?
knudsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You could still have a factory amp w/o Infinity. Its a turn on wire. Most illumination wires are to dim the display when the headlights are on. Not many aftermarkets utilize that.
thunderdan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
mustang67ford

Thanks for the info. Looking at the wj site, if I had an amp, I wouldn't have speaker wires at the deck. Since my speaker wires are at the deck, I think that means no amp, but I will check under the seat.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.