99 WJ runs hot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 WJ runs hot

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Bigwheelz
2000 WJ 

Wj 99 WJ runs hot

Hey my 99WJ ltd I6 4.0 178k runs at about 210 unless im in traffic or a drive thru then it jumps up. Ive been told my Fan relay is dead and the fan itself im wondering looking on line what all Id need for this. I see the radiator fan assembly but does that come with the motor? and do i need the motor? the tech tried to go past the relay and jump the fan it didnt spin so i assume that means i need the motor. he tried the relay and it was dead too but thats EZ just cut the hole under the headlight.

so just a little clarification is needed or maybe a link to the part

Bigwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
Vejito
2000 WJ 

My 2000 had the same problem. I was lucky and only had to replace the sensor an relay. I'm pretty sure you can get an aftermarket fan from pep boys for under $100
Vejito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

New fan cost me 150 with the motor included
Highschool_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

I'd try to check each individual component before I 'shotgunned' the problem, replaced things that might not be broken, and spent more than needed. The relay in your '99 is solid state. It switches on and off very quickly to control the fan rpms. If you have a VOM, you could unplug the fan, and check for an open circuit, which would definately indicate the fan has taken a crap. You might be able to check your coolant temp switch the same way, although I think the impedence varies with temperature. But once again, an 'open' means defective.

All that's to the best of my aging recollection.
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

Today my 99 WJ 4.0 ran very hot while waiting at a drive trough. The check gauges light came on and the coolant temp gauge was approaching red line.
Drove it home which was only 1km and the temp light started to go down. I opened the hood and now the coolant level is about 2 inches above full level. On previous days the level when temp was in normal operating range was just under full mark maybe half an inch.
Obviously the fan is not working but is it normal for the coolant to rise that much if the coolant is becoming very hot?

I absolutely need my car on Tuesday night to drive for 500 km. If I can't fix the fan, is it ok to drive with a non working fan? I'll be driving at night and it is all the way Highway with no stop and go traffic.
as350b3e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
Bigwheelz
2000 WJ 

as350b3e--yeah you can drive with out the fan they used to make cars that were cooled by the air from driving. or so my WJ has been OK so far and its been hot for a while now just try to stay moving and don't strain the engine to much (mtn driving or traffic) if your going along at lower speeds you can pop the latch on the hood( keep it latched but just pop the hood) and it will help drastically keep it cool just don't go fast! and the coolant drains from the radiator or something along those lines so that's were that excess fluid came from at least it wasn't boiling!

and we checked the relay and motor both were bad found at napa for $138 for the fan assembly w/motor and 50 for the relay with a 36k mile warranty for 50$ now just gotta pick them up and do the work lol

Thanks for yalls help truly appreciate it!
Bigwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

www.rockauto.com
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.