99 WJ Needs New engine - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 WJ Needs New engine

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 05-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by car5car View Post
What is private party value?
cost of repair?
how much can you get for your Jeep as is?

If book value is 3K and you can get 1K for your car as is, it doesn't make sense to pay 2.5K for repair.
I would disagree with this comment (sorry man) if you could only get 1k for your Jeep as is and had to put even another $3500 in it for a new engine that would make sense to me because you would have a good Jeep with a new motor. What are you going to buy with $4500? Probably someone else's headache and a big pandoras' box.. Engine could crap out on that one too in a couple months and then there you will sit again. I looked around and finally came to this realization. If I wanted something as nice enough as what I have now without the worry of buying a headache I was looking at vehicles that were around the $10-14k range.. It simply doesn't make sense to junk it. Just my two cents.

brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Red350ss
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by car5car View Post
What is private party value?
cost of repair?
how much can you get for your Jeep as is?

If book value is 3K and you can get 1K for your car as is
, it doesn't make sense to pay 2.5K for repair.
This is assuming he wants to sell the jeep. A cars value is only important if you intend to sell. If he doesnt want to sell, and if the new motor is $2500 bucks, why would he lose? He has a known vehicle with a new motor. The original motor lasted years, so in all honesty, he can now plan to drive for more years without worrying about the motor. If he was looking to sell, I agree, he would be upside down. But that doesnt seem to be the case if he intends to keep it....
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
JeepAdiction
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just ordered a reman 4.7 from my Carquest friend for $2500. 3 year no mileage Warranty. They are known for their problems so why buy a used one that may fail soon.
Doug
13 Grand Cherokee Limited
JeepAdiction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
Stinky7-11
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAdiction
Just ordered a reman 4.7 from my Carquest friend for $2500. 3 year no mileage Warranty. They are known for their problems so why buy a used one that may fail soon.
Doug
Good for you! Let us know how the install goes, I think you will be pleased.
Stinky7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
JeepAdiction
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got the new motor in and running last night. What a difference. It has great power running on all eight cylinders and no white smoke trail. Will recharge her AC this weekend as to not overheat the new motor this week. Going to be in the high 90's all week.
The install was a pain for my full figure and fat hands. There is not much room to spare in the engine compartment.
She has been driving my XJ the last two weeks. Glad to have that back in the garage. She did wash it and fill with gas.
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Congratulations! Sounds like a job well done.
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
JeepAdiction
2004 TJ Wrangler 

She has 400 miles on it so I just charged the AC. It is 94 degrees out. She loves the new power but hates that it does not get the fuel milage that my 4.0 does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.