99 WJ Needs New engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 WJ Needs New engine

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
jeepndon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wj 99 WJ Needs New engine

My nephew has a 99 WJ with the 4.7L V8. two differnt Mecanic's says engine is seized. He can't afford a Jasper engine. Is there a place that he can get a good used engine? He lives in an area that has no good Junk yards.

Thanks

jeepndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
berndog67
2003 WJ 

car-part.com, search by his zip code and sort by nearest first, there should be plenty of places around, i live in the middle of nowhere, and i have at least 4 dozen used auto parts places within an hrs drive, go for the lesser miles ones and make sure u get one that had the 3 plug computer 99-04 grand cherokees, dakotas, rams, durangos, etc..., the 4 plug ones are usually from 05 and later models, not easily inter changeable, the tone ring has double the teeth for one thing, just do your home work and shop around, i called the six closest places when i was looking for a 4.7 ho, and got a good deal on the lowest mileage one by telling them the price and miles of one that was closer to me, got it shipped overnight cheaper than just the engine price of the other, most places will deal with u because its a buyers market with this economy
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

LKQ Self Serve
http://www.lkqpickyourpart.com
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

The engine swap will probably cost more than the jeep is worth, and possibly more than your nephew can afford and he'll still have a used engine. What is his budget? Is the jeep really worth saving? Don't throw good money after bad when clean V8 wjs can be had for a few thousand dollars in most places.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I got replacement motor for 200 at LKQ, their prices are on the website. It cost ~300$ for motor, new gaskets, and cps. Few odds and ends to get mine swapped and running in a few days.
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Stinky7-11
2000 WJ 

Your jeep with a reman. is still better than buying someone else's headache, unless yours is in poor overall condition. Even a clean low mileage
junk yard motor is a good choice, look around and take your time and you will find a good deal, I did the same swap this week and glad I did.
With that said I would have to ask is the jeep a hobby or just transpotaion?
Stinky7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
car5car
2000 WJ 

There are 2 reasons:
1. Overheating. One piston is welded to cylinder. The piston has to be punched out, cylinder cleaned by a knife, honed. New piston installed.
2. no oil. Crankshaft rebuilding ($100+bearings).
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepndon
My nephew has a 99 WJ with the 4.7L V8. two differnt Mecanic's says engine is seized. He can't afford a Jasper engine. Is there a place that he can get a good used engine? He lives in an area that has no good Junk yards.

Thanks
I just replaced mine with a reman. The yard wanted $1900 for a used motor with 110k. I bought my reman for $1800 and it has a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. Total bill was around $3600 installed. I agree with the previous comments.. You are opening a Pandora's box with a used motor. You don't need to go with a Jasper. If the body is still good it is worth saving.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
LoPhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat View Post
I just replaced mine with a reman. The yard wanted $1900 for a used motor with 110k. I bought my reman for $1800 and it has a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. Total bill was around $3600 installed. I agree with the previous comments.. You are opening a Pandora's box with a used motor. You don't need to go with a Jasper. If the body is still good it is worth saving.
Was that a 4.7 for $1800?

If so, what did you get, and where did you get it from?
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #10
VinceWj
2000 WJ 

Keep the V8 dub, buy a 4.0 one with the 1800$ for the engine, switch the rear differential, make sure the gear ratio is the same, enjoy a reliable engine
VinceWj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPhat

Was that a 4.7 for $1800?

If so, what did you get, and where did you get it from?
No, it was a 4.0 but I am seeing that the V8 is approx $500 more online on eBay so you should still be well within the price range of a used motor. The way I figure it is the labor is about the same between the two options, pricing for the engine is within a $500 of a used one and you end up with a practically new motor and warranty. I did not purchase it online. I actually called the local automotive recycling facility and was taken aback by the price of a used one. I asked if there were alternatives and they told me that they could get me this reman. I called around and the price was in line with where they were other places. Additionally, they said that they installed hundreds of these motors a year and almost never had issues with them. Their diagnostic and service bay installed it and it was a good overall experience.

The motor is from Grooms Engines. Here is a link to their website: http://groomsengines.com/
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

I am going through the same situation. My jeep is in great shape. Honesty a used engine is not worth it. Get a reman engine put it. Yeah it may be a lot of $$, but even if you took that money for another car it sure would not have a new motor :-). I am doing the jasper!
Thegdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
car5car
2000 WJ 

What is private party value?
cost of repair?
how much can you get for your Jeep as is?

If book value is 3K and you can get 1K for your car as is, it doesn't make sense to pay 2.5K for repair.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
Stinky7-11
2000 WJ 

What I don't understand is if you have owned your Jeep for long enough to get all the bugs out and make it just what you want, why pitch it becauce it needs a motor? If you buy another you run the same risk and you still have to go over the whole jeep.
Stinky7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky7-11 View Post
What I don't understand is if you have owned your Jeep for long enough to get all the bugs out and make it just what you want, why pitch it becauce it needs a motor? If you buy another you run the same risk and you still have to go over the whole jeep.
I agree, A new motor will get you more milage than another used jeep. The transmission on the 4.7 is fantastic so it will last a good while. How many miles are on the jeep?
Thegdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.