99 WJ Fuel leak and Evap leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 WJ Fuel leak and Evap leak

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
orestes107

Wj 99 WJ Fuel leak and Evap leak

’99 JGC 4.0L
I have been racking my brain and searching the forums but need some advice.

So filled up my tank the other day until the pump shut off. Went inside the gas station and when I came out there was a small puddle of gas which was dripping slowly from the middle of the skid plate. Felt around the filler neck and hoses but could not feel anything wet and could not see where it was coming from exactly.

Then I drove to my buddy’s house about 20 miles away. Parked it and noticed it was constantly dripping. After about 15-20 min, still dripping. Took the gas cap off and the dripping slowed to a stop.

I know that I have to drop the tank to figure out the leak which seems like it would either be the rollover valve or pump seal. I just want to make sure I’m not overlooking something because I have already dropped the tank twice in a couple months. Once to replace the skid plate, fuel pump, send and return lines from pump and the filter/pressure regulator. Second time was to tighten some connections after the fuel pressure line came off the pump while driving (not fun).

I attributed the loose clamps to trying to do too much in one day and possibly the new line shrinking slightly (I read that can happen right?).

But this also happened right after I replaced the gas cap trying to get rid of a P0455 gross evap leak.

Could the gas cap be part of the problem? Maybe doesn’t allow enough air in creating too much pressure on the system?

After taking off the cap I put the old one on and have got the tank near empty without seeing any leaks (but the CEL came back on).

Where do you think the most likely place for a leak would be?
Is there a way to test after dropping the tank?
Do you think the evap leak is gas cap related or leak related?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I really want to take care of it this weekend and not have to worry about getting stranded again.

orestes107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.