'99 WJ auto trans: need tips for daughter please - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '99 WJ auto trans: need tips for daughter please

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Valor
1999 WJ 

I know the 2008 BMW 328i doesn't even come with an engine oil dipstick...

Despite fluids being engineered to last longer, I would still do it every 30,000 miles. Even if you'll end up paying more for the fluid and labor (even if you do it yourself, time is still money), but I consider it to be more or less preventative maintenance. I'd rather pay to do it every 30,000 miles and be on the safe side rather than run the oil down to the end of its life. I know some people will disagree with me, and I'm sure their methods and intervals work for them, but to each their own.

But alas, you are right. The maintenece schedule is written the way it is for a reason. As long as you follow it, you shouldn't have problems.

Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

OK...hopefully you take what I have to say into consideration, seeing as I am an automotive technician and a smart one at that. Also, my trade school instructor for auto trans class was a chrysler dealer trans tech for over 20 years so I got a good education from that class.

DO NOT FLUSH that transmission. Flushing is dangerous, its expensive, and just not worth it. If your daughter would like to service her trans just go with a simple pan service: it involves dropping the transmission pan which will allow a little over 50% of the fluid to drain. Replace the filter located under the valve body while the pan is off, the filters typically come with a new pan gasket too. After that just top off the trans fluid and you're done.

Secondly these guys have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to band adjustment. The band clutch in the transmission will only be used when engaging 1st gear and reverse, therefore slipping between first and second would not be an issue with the band, but getting that adjusted every 50k or so isn't a bad idea.

The main factors that will affect shift quality and timing are the Input and Output speed sensors on the the transmission. My 45RFE went out completely and put me into "fail safe mode" all because my output speed sensor went bad. If you would like to discuss anything further just send me a PM, I would be happy to check TSB's and help you further.
99_wj_QD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
nickblack
1999 WJ 

Point well taken and thank you for the info 99, but why then do the Jeep dealerships offer a transmission flush on this tranny? The Jeep techs around here are useless BTW. For example, my BCM went recently, I went to Midas, which is owned/operated by the best ASE tech that I have ever known. He runs circles around anyone at the dealerships around here that I have run in to, in addition he is an honest guy. He diagnosed the bad BCM in about 20 minutes and sent me to the dealership because he couldn't program it. They had my truck for a week and a half until they figured out that it was indeed the BCM. They basically took the whole interior out of my truck before figuring it out. They tried to charge me $1400 until I found out that they just got a rebuilt one from an electronics guy in Florida and the price mysteriously dropped down to $500. I told them going in to just change the BCM because I trusted my guy implicitly but they wanted the "billable" hours. I just have a big mistrust of dealerships and their techs because their main goal is to rob those that just don't know and the techs go along with it. A true professional just doesn't do that. The definition of a professional entails garnering the public's trust. No knock on you and I am sure you are a great tech, but that has been my experience with the 2 Jeep dealerships here. I consider myself a well above average shade tree mechanic and I tell people that have decent mechanical ability that if you can read and have the tools, you can fix a car. It's not like building a Space Shuttle. Anyway, I do a pan service and then after about 500 miles I vacuum out whatever I can from the dipstick and replace what I sucked out with fresh fluid. maybe a bit of overkill but it makes me sleep better. Furthermore, I have 180k miles on the original tranny and it shifts flawlessly. I also adjust the bands at every oil change I do.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #19
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD View Post
Secondly these guys have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to band adjustment. The band clutch in the transmission will only be used when engaging 1st gear and reverse, therefore slipping between first and second would not be an issue with the band, but getting that adjusted every 50k or so isn't a bad idea.
Im a former chrysler tech. I'm not saying band adjustment fixes the problem. I'm saying it should be part of your maintenance routine when changing the transmission fluid thats often overlooked and even recommended in the owners manual. The bands have friction material that wears similar to a brake pad so the clearance widens over time between band material and the drum and periodically needs adjusted. Also, there's two bands (front and rear) to adjust on the RE transmissions.

I'm too lazy to reference the FSM so use this. It'll explain better.

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmi...T_band_adj.htm
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
Valor
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickblack View Post
Point well taken and thank you for the info 99, but why then do the Jeep dealerships offer a transmission flush on this tranny?
Simply tell them you don't want it flushed. You just want it drained and filled. If they offer a flush, refuse. If they say the won't drain and fill it, proudly take your business elsewhere.
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
DennisT

trans

Thank you all for your extensive comments. I condensed them all and forwarded them to my daughter. I haven't heard back, but she's pretty detailed and studies things, so I think she'll go with the best approach.

I'll post a reply when I hear how things worked out.

Great stuff, here.

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD View Post
OK...hopefully you take what I have to say into consideration, seeing as I am an automotive technician and a smart one at that. Also, my trade school instructor for auto trans class was a chrysler dealer trans tech for over 20 years so I got a good education from that class.

DO NOT FLUSH that transmission. Flushing is dangerous, its expensive, and just not worth it. If your daughter would like to service her trans just go with a simple pan service: it involves dropping the transmission pan which will allow a little over 50% of the fluid to drain. Replace the filter located under the valve body while the pan is off, the filters typically come with a new pan gasket too. After that just top off the trans fluid and you're done.

The main factors that will affect shift quality and timing are the Input and Output speed sensors on the the transmission. My 45RFE went out completely and put me into "fail safe mode" all because my output speed sensor went bad. If you would like to discuss anything further just send me a PM, I would be happy to check TSB's and help you further.
Aren't there two bands, friend?
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #23
DennisT

Conclusion

Well, my daughter went into the GM dealership where she works had had them do what most of you suggested: Trans service; not flush. Dumped fluid, (don't know if they changed filter), and added. She reported that the mechanic said there were a few particles, "in there," much not much. So they either pulled the pan or looked in what came out. I'll bet they pulled the pan because I think most dealer shops don't take the time to drain into a clean container and then bother to look closely. They just dump into roll-around tank.

She's been on the road a week now and says all works as it should. So all is well again.

She and I thank you all for your comments. Now I'm back to the XJ forum for my two older Cherokees.

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.