99 WJ 4.0L engine swap help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 WJ 4.0L engine swap help

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all JKS Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
thaBrad
1999 WJ 

99 WJ 4.0L engine swap help

So the shop just called me and said the knocking noise is your rod bearings. He offered a quote of $3K for a reman engine with a 3year/120K warranty!! Yea, I don't have that money, so I called my buddy who owns a parts store and he was busy but said he could get one alot cheaper and either I swap it or find a buddy (which I could). BTW...engine has 150K miles on it.

Should I look into the wrecked Jeeps for that engine with unknown problems it may have? And I know there are tons of 4.0L, I'm a middle of the road mechanically inclined guy. I don't have special tools but can understand what I'm doing to put it back the same. But with my 4.0L, I'm gonna try to stay in my year range, cause I read an article in 4Wheeler about these engines and how they have different external mounting points for your accessories (pumps, etc) So what year range should I stay in of what models maybe?

Never swapped before, but if I get lucky and find the same engine, is it just a disconnecting of the exhaust, engine mounts, wires, tranny basically and putting the new one in putting those back on? Turn the key?

Thanks for the help

Unread 02-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Wilky93
1993 ZJ 

Can you have the car off the road for an extended period of time? If so, why not just rebuild? that would be your cheapest option and a great time to put some hotrod stuff in it.
Wilky93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
jtsjeep99
1999 WJ 

I agree. Rebuild if you can. That way you've got the same engine and know everything will work the same. You might even have it stroked.
jtsjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
thaBrad
1999 WJ 

Yes I have another vehicle I just got out of the shop too, it had a broken timing belt tensioner spring. $500 UGH! Keeps coming.

So to do a rebuild, I always wanted to stroke or at least do small upgrades. I just need some kind of picture showing the engine in its pieces. To understand completely what I have ahead. So to start off, I should start taking the bumper off, then to the components, etc? As I'm saving the money. But I called my brother who has a buddy with a auto parts store and he said the WJ's are more expensive to find used engines...about $1200-1400. Jaspers are $1600. But a rebuild would be half probably right? And then what kind of "special" tools would be needed to do the rebuild?
Unread 02-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
thaBrad
1999 WJ 

And do I have a short block or long block?
Unread 02-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Wilky93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaBrad View Post
And do I have a short block or long block?
short block and long block refer to if the motor has a head on it or not basicly.

as for special tools, it depends if you want to get into the head too. if not I thing mostly you only need a piston right tool ( so you can get the pistons into the bore some feeler gauges and a short piece of 2x4. buy a hanes for it. they go thru a rebuild in that. I know you have to know someone that has rebuilt a motor or two so get some help.

But that being said, it's a machine. there for if you can turn a bolt the right way and watch how it comes apart, you can figure it out.

Oh and a bearing going bad is not the end of the world for a motor. it just needs repair. I may actually be as easy as Dropping new bearings in and nothing more....it could be.
Unread 02-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

it could be as easy as swapping out that oil pump too, sounding all like a coffee can full of rocks, I would not attempt a rebuild myself or alone if I did not know the difference between a short and long block but we gotta learn somehow.

It's complicated dude and there are a million little tricks and methods that you only acquire after year and years of busting your knuckles rebuilding engines...

look into a short-block then you and a friend can do the swap over of the head and accessories for a conditioned learning experience, Jasper will also rebuild your same engine if you desire to keep it matching numbers (which will really never matter on a ZJ/WJ)

matching numbers means the serial number to the motor matches the frame it was installed in at the factory, it does not have anything to do with the internals of the engine...
Hexonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Wilky93
1993 ZJ 

http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jee...cyl_engine.php

Here is an exploded view of a 4.0, You will need help from someone that's rebuilt an engine before but, you have to have some buddy somewhere that know what he's doing. If you we're not so far away I'd come help youbut yeah, it's a full work day just driving to you.
Unread 02-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

If your engine wasn't smoking or producing excessive blow by, you can just replace the rod and main bearings. You can even do this with the engine in the Jeep.
Unread 02-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
thaBrad
1999 WJ 

I can do this, its just deciding which plan of attack. I didn't have any smoke or blowby so I'm sure its just the bearings and nothing to the crank or cylinder walls. A buddy said we could pull the rod bearing out the bottom (engine still in) and replace them, but its just a band-aid. Engines online from yards are still too high for me. Nothing under $1,000 worth crap. So a fix instead of swap is my route I guess. Like I said, I'm a medium grade mechanic, just never pulled an engine before.

I have plenty of friends and a brother with the experience, just like to know as much as possible before going in. I appreciate ya'lls input.

Wilky....thanks!
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
Wilky93
1993 ZJ 

that's the attitude you can do it. And it's not just a band-aid. Inspect the Crank journal and the caps for damage and if they're fine then there's nothing to worry about. Replace the Oil pump while your in there just for added Insurance, maybe the rear main seal if it looks to need it. if you really want to do a swap check Craigs list for a Motor. there are 2 dozen of them here for 300-400 bux that could be prime stroker motors.

4.0 with 88k in Indy for $500

4.0 for $350 unknown mileage

Get some beer, and some buddys and fix her up
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
thaBrad
1999 WJ 

Well Wilky thats my problem...of course I have to have the "Jeep" that can't swap from other models! I have to have a WJ engine. Done some research and been told by mechanics that I have to swap a 99-04 WJ 4.0L. Something about them having different mountings.
Unread 02-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

You can use a 4.0 out of a TJ as well. I believe you can also use an earlier 4.0, you just have to do some modifications (use your head, intake, mounts, get rid of the oil filter adapter, make a mount for the coil pack, etc.)

Just replace the bearings though. As wilky said, this isn't a band aid. Why replace what you know to be a good running engine with one you know nothing about? Go get a gasket set, oil pump, and rod bearings. Droop the front axle down, drop the oil pan, and replace the bearings.
Unread 02-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
Wilky93
1993 ZJ 

Yeah as far as i know the Blocks are all the same, someone correct me if I'm wrong, so you'll just have to do some parts swapping from one to the other.
Unread 02-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
thaBrad
1999 WJ 

Really?!! Ok then, I'll start doing some research then! Cooooooool!!! I've seen a few earlier ZJ engines for sale on Craigslist from WJ owners cause they said they thought it would work. But it didn't so they were selling them.

So I just have to do some mods, which is no prob really. I work at a metal shop with all the tools and material I would need. Hmmmmm, interesting! Thanks guys...really!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.