99 WJ 2WD-to-4WD and lift - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By WiLieR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
rarmstrong0125
1994 XJ Cherokee 

99 WJ 2WD-to-4WD and lift

I have a question for those of you that like to do your own lifts. In Oct '98 I bought a brand new '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) 2-wheel drive. It has sentimental value to me because the kids grew up in it, then after 12 years I gave it to my son who's been driving it since and has about 290k miles on it. Still in good shape. My son has now bought a new car and asked me if I wanted to lift the old Jeep. I lifted my old '94 XJ so know what's involved, but it was already a 4WD vehicle. Can anyone shed some light on what I'd be getting in to, to convert this 2WD to a 4WD and put a 4-6" lift on her? I have to decide how much "sentiment" I can afford. I know it's a wide open question so here are some criteria.
- I would do all the work myself in my garage with standard tools (that is how I did my 94 XJ)
- I'm concerned about the level of work/complexity with the conversion to 4WD more than I am for lifting it.
- I'd like to do a fairly inexpensive 4"-6" lift and will use salvage parts wherever I can.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-15-2017, 05:53 PM
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

99 WJ 2WD-to-4WD and lift

Depends on the engine as to the difficulty to convert to 4wd. The obvious parts are needed: live front axle, frt/rear driveshafts, t-case, all assorted cables and shifter assemblies.

Now for the fun part;
If it is a 4.0, then it has the 42RE transmission. This requires replacing the overdrive unit on the transmission to allow a tcase to bolt to it.
If it is a 4.7 V8, the it has the 45/545RFE transmission which requires the use of an adapter bracket to attach the tcase.

Neither are hard, but I would recommend rebuilding the 42RE OD unit before installing it as they are known to be a weak point in the transmission. If you don't have a press take it to a shop to rebuild as it has a very beefy spring in it that takes a lot of force to compress.

As for the lift, 4" and more needs long arms to ride nice and not be like an oversized skateboard on rough roads. Iron Rock Off-road, Rough Country, and Claytons Off-road are all the most common. IRO and RC are bolt on while Claytons requires welding. There are pros and cons of each kit, so read up on them all.

Inexpensive does not apply to a 4-6" lift with the WJ. By the time everything is purchased you will most likely have spent well above the KBB value of the Jeep. Expect at least $2,000 in suspension parts just as a starting point.

Edit to add;
Personally, I am looking at getting the bare RC upgrade kit, using Clayton 6" springs, and Bilstein shocks for my lift. Though I recently read the RC kit has a built in TCase drop, and I don't care for those as they decrease rear driveshaft angles but increase front angles. So I am on the fence about going full Claytons even though it costs a bit more. Again, read up on each and make your own decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeeples likes this.

99 WJ Laredo - Mine once again!
post #3 of 4 Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 PM
RoysJeep

2004 WJ 

I'd call your local junkyards and/or pick n pulls to see if they have any WJs. That way, you can pull or request the parts you need.

2004 WJ Laredo, 4.0, 197,xxx miles and counting, 3:55 gears, D30/D35c. Stock for now

post #4 of 4 Old 08-16-2017, 07:43 AM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiLieR View Post
Depends on the engine as to the difficulty to convert to 4wd. The obvious parts are needed: live front axle, frt/rear driveshafts, t-case, all assorted cables and shifter assemblies.

Now for the fun part;
If it is a 4.0, then it has the 42RE transmission. This requires replacing the overdrive unit on the transmission to allow a tcase to bolt to it.
If it is a 4.7 V8, the it has the 45/545RFE transmission which requires the use of an adapter bracket to attach the tcase.

Neither are hard, but I would recommend rebuilding the 42RE OD unit before installing it as they are known to be a weak point in the transmission. If you don't have a press take it to a shop to rebuild as it has a very beefy spring in it that takes a lot of force to compress.

As for the lift, 4" and more needs long arms to ride nice and not be like an oversized skateboard on rough roads. Iron Rock Off-road, Rough Country, and Claytons Off-road are all the most common. IRO and RC are bolt on while Claytons requires welding. There are pros and cons of each kit, so read up on them all.

Inexpensive does not apply to a 4-6" lift with the WJ. By the time everything is purchased you will most likely have spent well above the KBB value of the Jeep. Expect at least $2,000 in suspension parts just as a starting point.

Edit to add;
Personally, I am looking at getting the bare RC upgrade kit, using Clayton 6" springs, and Bilstein shocks for my lift. Though I recently read the RC kit has a built in TCase drop, and I don't care for those as they decrease rear driveshaft angles but increase front angles. So I am on the fence about going full Claytons even though it costs a bit more. Again, read up on each and make your own decision.

Solid advice in this post!

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.