'99 Limited runs hotter than it should (tried search) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '99 Limited runs hotter than it should (tried search)

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 06-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
creepingdeath94
2000 WJ 

'99 Limited runs hotter than it should (tried search)

Alright, I have a 1999 Limited 4.0 4x4. It tends to run at normal temp. on the gauge as long as Im driving along at a decent pace. However if I sit in traffic or at a drive through line it runs hot...gets up to about 230ish (3/4 on gauge) and holds there. It will sort of drop sometimes but not to a comfortable level until I start driving and holding a speed again and eventually gets back down to middle of the gauge and stays there.

Anyway, my question is could it be that fan is not being told to turn on at the right time...for example some sort of coolant temp. switch about to go or improperly sending signal to engage high speed fan until 235 or more likely a fan dying? Thermostat sticking? Or would thermostat cause hot temps. even at highway speed? Some sort of air dam not in place like on GM F-Bodies...they will overheat in traffic if the lower air dam is missing. Fan relay...or does that just not work at all if its dead? Is the mechanical fan enough at idle in traffic with A/C on in 90 degree summer weather to hold the temp. at 230ish or would it flat overheat if only the mechanical fan was working?

Sorry for the thousand questions but I need to fix this as south florida summers are hot enough and I don't want to risk actually overheating the engine. Thanks everyone.

creepingdeath94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

This is what my g/f started to do (where mine just plain overheated) Fan relay gone bad would be the first place to look. Because you have the mechanical fan could be the reason you haven't overheated.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
creepingdeath94
2000 WJ 

I will double check tomorrow probably to make sure the electric fan is definitely not coming on or is coming on at temp. I thought I heard it in the drive through line yesterday but it could have been another car echoing. Anyway, I was just trying to get some input before starting so I had a few places to look when I did finally have time to dedicate to figuring out whats going on with it, should I find the fan is turning on where to look versus if it is not to have a sort of game plan in place. Thanks for the reply.
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Mine runs real cool for some reason. Just about a full notch under half, unless I'm sitting in traffic. Once it hits almost the half way mark, the fan comes on. If it's below, it won't come on even with the air conditioning on. Open the hood and you'll definitely hear it if it's going. The fan relay though is under the passenger side light housing. Easiest way is to remove the housing and cut a whole through the header panel to reach it. If it really goes south though, it will throw a check engine code. I was always told the fan automatically comes on when the air conditioning is one. I'm now doubting that. Even with my AC on full blast, my fan doesn't come on until temp wise I hit about the half way mark. The first time I noticed something was off when mine went was caught in traffic on the highway behind a car fire, it hit the same reading as you did. Few days later and it went all the way up.

If the fan appears to be working ok though, then I'd start to think waterpump (is it leaking anything from the weep hole?) or if the rad has been in a long time, maybe it's somehow clogged and restricting coolant flow.

How old is the rad?

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
creepingdeath94
2000 WJ 

I just bought this Jeep, so I have little history on it. The coolant looks pretty good and radiator appears to be in decent shape so Im guessing its relatively new. The waterpump is not leaking and I have proper coolant level and no seepage anywhere as I looked for that right away and when I first bought it during my "inspection". I am going to run it up to temp. and turn on the A/C and see if the electric fan comes on alright or not. I did notice that when it runs warm like this in tarffic sometimes midday the A/C seems to not work as well...so either I have two seperate issues or the high temp affects its cooling ability enough to feel. I have other A/C blend air door issues as well but thats another search/thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.