'99 JGC Laredo "popping" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '99 JGC Laredo "popping"

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 06-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Bowlerguy92
1999 WJ 

'99 JGC Laredo "popping"

I can't figure this out, it started a couple weeks ago sounding like a creaking inside the cabin, I thought maybe the seat was creaking or something due to vibration. Now the issue has become more clear....it sounds like popcorn. If I hang my head out the window and just start rolling you can hear a (now) quite loud metallic popping sound that appears to be wheel speed related. If I sit still I don't hear it, over say 30 MPH I hear it on occasion but it's not a constant thing. It seems to be the slowest when I'm literally just rolling along at 1 MPH or 2 MPH, once I give it some gas the popping sound becomes almost constant regardless of wheel turns. I hung my head out the window and rolled around my neighborhood today to better hear it and I can almost 100% stand behind the fact that it's coming from the rear drivers side tire area. I got under there a little bit ago and I can't find anything missing, loose, rubbing, grinding, or otherwise out of place. Nothing! I actually found a small crack in my transfer case that I'm really happy about but that's unrelated. Does anyone have any frigan clue as to what this is? I bounced the car up and down both front and rear and heard nothing, it doesn't have anything to do with steering, my wheels are torqued up properly, the tire weights aren't hitting anything nore are the tires rubbing on any of the frame or body. I simply can't figure this out and it's only getting louder and more obnoxious! My personal best guess is that it's a wheel bearing? Seems to be about the only thing it could be since wheel bearing issues go unseen but not unheard. Thanks to whoever can offer some advice!

Bowlerguy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

when you were describing a popping noise from the rear the first thing i thought of was the wheel bearing. unfortunately, we don't carry them for the rear of the grand cherokees but there is a pretty easy way of testing it. jack up that corner of the car and (SAFELY) give a good push to the top of the tire and pull from the bottom at the same time. any play is usually a pretty good indicator of a bad hub. customers usually complain of grinding or "whirring" noises dependant on wheel speed but if the suspension isn't making the noise that's pretty much the only thing else that it could be.
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Bowlerguy92
1999 WJ 

Ya, I wish I still had the access to a lift that I used to. I have a jack but I'm not sure how well I trust it at this point. It's being inspected this week or next so I'll just let them know about it, might as well just have the garage replace it while they're at it. And you're pretty much sure that it's the only thing it could be right? Like I said I didn't see anything that could cause the sound I'm experiencing. About how much will a wheel bearing be on my vehicle?
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

that's pretty much the only thing i could think of. of course after i posted i thought of a few other things to check. u mentioned that u bounced the front and rear of the jeep and couldn't get it to make the same sound. have u tried shaking it side to side? are u turning or going straight when it makes the noise or does it matter? does the popping speed up or slow down with wheel speed? is it louder when braking or accelerating? have a good mechanic take a look at it that's for sure. noises like that aren't very good from anything under a vehicle! just go in and describe the noise and play dumb to possible causes. let them figure it out. may end up being a lot cheaper then a hub.
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Bowlerguy92
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AAdam View Post
that's pretty much the only thing i could think of. of course after i posted i thought of a few other things to check. u mentioned that u bounced the front and rear of the jeep and couldn't get it to make the same sound. have u tried shaking it side to side? are u turning or going straight when it makes the noise or does it matter? does the popping speed up or slow down with wheel speed? is it louder when braking or accelerating? have a good mechanic take a look at it that's for sure. noises like that aren't very good from anything under a vehicle! just go in and describe the noise and play dumb to possible causes. let them figure it out. may end up being a lot cheaper then a hub.
I got in and shifted my weight back and forth to rock it and I couldn't replicate that sound either. Turning or going straight it makes no difference, like I said I'm almost 100% sure that it's a rear issue. As I said the faster the wheel is going the more frequent the popping occurs, there is a certain point where I no longer hear the popping but instead a sound that could be equated to a leaf stuck in the spokes of a moving bicycle replaces the popping. It doesn't changed when braking and appears to disappear while I'm accelerating somewhat heavily which is likely just due to the engine noise, I simply can no longer hear it.
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

all that u described sounds like a bearing. the sound will go away a bit under acceleration because there is weight on it. bad bearings are quiet when there is more weight on them and are loudest when weight/force is taken off of them like the inside wheel while turning. have pro diagnose but pretty sure that is the issue.

Last edited by 1AAdam; 06-21-2010 at 02:14 PM..
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Bowlerguy92
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AAdam View Post
all that u described sounds like a hub. the sound will go away a bit under acceleration because there is weight on it. bad hubs are quiet when there is more weight on them and are loudest when weight/force is taken off of them like the inside wheel while turning. have pro diagnose but pretty sure that is the issue.
And any idea on price?
Unread 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

it will be a bearing and u will prob have to change out the axle too. once the bearing goes it starts to wear on the axle. i don't really have any access to pricing but that's what should be going into it. they do have kits where u can relocate the bearing and still use the old axle but that never seemed like a good idea to me.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.