99 Jeep grand cherokee 4.7 electrical - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 Jeep grand cherokee 4.7 electrical

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
wjledden
1999 WJ 

99 Jeep grand cherokee 4.7 electrical

My 99 jeep grand cherokee couple night ago started runnign rough for 10 second the voltage on the guage went to 9v and the odometer disappears. Then it started running fine again and voltage went to 14. Started it the next day went down the street and did the same thing will not rev up until it comes back. And did not get better. AirBag light comes on and ABS light and Brake light. Checked voltage while it ran rough. it was 17.5 volts. I changed the alternator and started up fine ran for a while with the lights still on. went for a ride and did the same thing after 15 minutes lasted 2 minutes and came back Lights went away and odomenter came back. Now it does it once and a great while and but only for 10 seconds. Any ideas.

wjledden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Clean and tighten battery terminals and cables.Id start there
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
wjledden
1999 WJ 

i cleaned the terminals. nothing changed
Unread 03-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Check for codes using the key method,And have your battery checked,might need changing.What kind and how old is your battery?
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

also check out the connections on the alternator itself, and all ground/negative/earth connections

good luck

http://s538.photobucket.com/user/kfxnando/library/?sort=3&page=1
kfxnando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
wjledden
1999 WJ 

Checked it all hooked up computer. All signs are pointing to a bad PCM which i have found 160 bucks programmed and guarenteed. All the reading and testing i have done. these jeeps have a secondary voltage regulator in the PCM
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Hope that's it for you but it points to a weak battery connection for the rest of us.

Wave to the folks at The Black Dog for me.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
wjledden
1999 WJ 

Update!!!! So i found when i unplug the alternator. The truck runs fine. Plug it in runs full field from the alternator. I did a little research on ALLDATA and found the alternator voltage is controlled by the PCM. In ALLDATA it says if voltage regulator is bad you need to replace the PCM.So I bought a PCM online for 218 delivered. I put in the new PCM plugged in the alternator and BAZAAAM truck is fixed. Just wish i looked at alldata a year ago because i would not have had the truck sit for a year!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.