99 Grand Cherokee-Strange Noise... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 Grand Cherokee-Strange Noise...

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 03-08-2002, 10:13 AM   #1
peelot

Unhappy 99 Grand Cherokee-Strange Noise...

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee that is having a strange noise that I can't seen to determine where its coming from. When coasting to a stop, like slowing down at a light, below about 10 mph you will sense and kinda hear a small thump. Feels like something disengaging under the car. It will also happen when you let off the break and start to hit the gas. It only seems to occur after it has been warmed up and driven awhile, like half the day of running around. The pinion gear was replaced on this thing at about 28000 and the transmition and diff. fluids have been serviced. I have had it into the dealer twice, once before the warranty expired and now after, to no avail. They cannot seem to find the problem. U-joint looks good and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the transmition. Wondering if the pinion may need an adjustment or would the noise be all the time if that was the case. I am coming to an end of the lease in May and am interested in buying the car but don't want to get stuck with a lemon. I have babied this car and it only has 38000 miles on it. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Not sure which direction to go now. Also, does anybody have any experience with after market warranties? Wondering if that would not be a bad idea if I buy this thing and it turns out to have anything strange pop up. Thank ahead of time for the info.

peelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
fReAkY_dIvEr

Smile

Just make sure you read the heck out of an aftermarket warranty to nail down exactly what is covered and what is not and to how much extent. My experiences with aftermarket warranties is that they always try to pull wool over eyes and get very irritated when you spend time to really read the things through.

Hope this helps...

fReAkY_dIvEr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2002, 07:58 AM   #3
Aussie

I am having the same problem, not sure what to do?

Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2002, 05:07 AM   #4
oH2o

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Aussie:
<strong>I am having the same problem, not sure what to do? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do any of these symptoms resemble what you are referring to (45RFE tranny only)?

1. Slow (1 1/2 to 2 seconds) park/neutral to drive engagement. This condition may occur after the first key "ON" or once after
subsequent key "ON's" with a soak time of several minutes or more.
2. Neutral coastdown bump at approximately 8 miles per hour. This may occur if a customer coasts to a stop with the transmission in
neutral.
3. Neutral to drive engagement harshness with the vehicle rolling between-5 and 10 miles per hour. This may occur if a customer is
coasting in neutral within the specified speed range and shifts the transmission into drive.
4. Harsh (light throttle) 1 - 2 shift between 10 and 15 miles per hour.
5. Low speed (10 - 12 mph) light throttle tip in bump.
6. Drone at approximately 40 - 45 mph in 4th gear with EMCC engaged.
oH2o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2002, 12:03 PM   #5
Drafter75

Cool

Peelot... what you're experiencing is the infamous "bump-stop" problem that was quite common on the 99 JGC.

Here's the summary from TSB #030400, found on the NHTSA web site...

"A CONDITION MAY EXIST WHERE THE VEHICLES OWNER MAY FEEL AN INTERMITTENT BUMP (STOP-BUMP) ONCE THE VEHICLE IS BROUGHT TO A FULL STOP. THIS CONDITION MAY OCCUR 3 TO 20 SECONDS FOLLOWING THE STOP OR WHEN THE LOAD ON THE REAR DRIVELINE IS REDUCED (E.G., WHEN THE APPLIED BRAKE PRESSURE IS DECREASED). THE STOP-BUMP CONDITION MAY BE THE RESULT OF A BINDING BETWEEN THE SPLINED SURFACES OF THE REAR PROPELLER SHAFT SLIP YOKE AND THE REAR OUTPUT SHAFT OF EITHER THE TRANSFER CASE OR THE TRANSMISSION."

I had this problem on my 99 and it would occur within a few seconds of coming to a complete stop. It felt just like getting tapped in the rear by the car behind you. Some others have experienced this sensation under the conditions you describe above. Anyway, that's what's causing it.

My dealer replaced the rear driveshaft under this TSB and I never had the problem again.
[b]Have you hugged your Jeep today?[/b]
Drafter75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2002, 10:49 PM   #6
digitaldiver

Stop bump confirmation

I can confirm Drafter75's "Stop Bump" diagnosis.

I just got back from Camp Jeep. I had my 99 WJ in the dealer's garage three times for this problem. Evidently my dealer doesn't read his TSB's.

At Camp Jeep, the engineers diagnosed the problem and had my Jeep in the garage in 15 minutes. They gave us a beeper and told us they would notify us when it was done. About an hour and a half later we got beeped. They apologized because it had taken so long. They had to send someone after the part in Springfield (20 miles away). No paper work. No charge. Glad we could help. Outstanding program.
Unread 08-05-2002, 09:31 PM   #7
david heffler

Is there a mileage limit to the TSB? I've had this noise for months and the dealer said I would have to pay to replace the drive shaft. I have 76,000 miles presently. Thanks, Dave
david heffler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2002, 09:47 PM   #8
digitaldiver

Now we are getting into the technicalities of the difference between a recall and a TSB. I would contact Jeep customer service. They might agree to something your dealer can't or won't.
Unread 08-05-2002, 09:49 PM   #9
david heffler

I'll do that, thanks.
david heffler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2002, 11:31 PM   #10
ZJ-TOM

How odd. I too had experienced a similiar feeling while driving my '98 ZJ recently........turns out it was only a Volkswagen I had driven over. So much for the bump stop theory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.