99 grand Cherokee limited rear end questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 grand Cherokee limited rear end questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
ARduckcwby

99 grand Cherokee limited rear end questions

Howdy folks, new to the forum here and have a few questions.

I recently acquired a 99 grand Cherokee limited 2wd. The rear end is bad. The rear end is Dana 35 3.73 gear ratio. Since I don't plan on using it for nothing more than a spare vehicle in case one of our daily drivers breaks down, I don't want to put a lot of money in it.

Anyways, to my knowledge, this model Cherokee had Dana 35 rear ends with either 3.73 or 3.55 gear ratio. I read that Cherokees with the factory tow package (mine does) had the 3.73, and without tow package had 3.55. I can't find any 3.73's in any salvage yards, but can find 3.55.

Is there any reason why they won't interchange? Any problems with like brake connections or Other things?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ARduckcwby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Duh

Should fit right in. I dont think they ever changed the yokes on them, brake lines should be the same. With a 2wd you wont need to worry about the ratio change, and speedometer is off of the wheel speed sensors, so that wont change either.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

You sure its not a dana 44a?
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

Wouldn't it affect the transmission shift points?
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
ARduckcwby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yjproject View Post
You sure its not a dana 44a?
According to the VIN, it's a Dana 35.
ARduckcwby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.