99 Grand Cherokee Limited problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 Grand Cherokee Limited problem

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
jayjjcc

99 Grand Cherokee Limited problem

I'm new to these boards and I only bought the Jeep yesterday... I paid only $300 for it and everything works... except I fear (assumed actually for the price I paid) that the engine is either on it's way out or driving it back home finished it. The gauges are jumping around randomly... every single one of them... when the engine runs, it's extremely rough, sounds worse than a diesel engine... When I got home I realized the oil gauge was empty... it wasn't when I left... I only drove maybe 30miles to get back home... I also noticed the dipstick isn't in there anymore for the engine oil... the small yellow cap is in, but no dipstick and alot of smoke is coming out from in there after the engine warms up. It also stalls if you stop at a light, clicks when you try to restart it, but eventually does restart... and it's backfiring like crazy...

Now I'm just gonna go ahead and assume I need a complete swap of the engine... but is there anything I could try first? Fresh new oil, filter & dipstick? I don't have far to go to get to the garage for the swap and I rather not pay +$100 to get it there...

Also, when I brake it jumps around, I'm assuming warped rotors?

Thanks in advance...

jayjjcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
fireman33
2003 WJ 

Sounds like its been beated up pretty bad lol...any pictures ?

2003 WJ 4.0, 4'' IRO Critical Path, 31x10.5x15 goodyear wrangler territory on soft 8's, Tom Wood front drive shaft, Rough country SS, 4.56 G2 gears, D30 front, D35 rear/detroit trutrac, IRO adj. trackbar, Doetch tech 8000 shocks, nv242 TC, midland cb, 3' firefly antenna, Mopar TC Skid

My build thread--> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-build-957216/
fireman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
ThePhenom
2001 WJ 

how about take it to a local dealer? or known mechanic? maybe puttin in 500-600 dollars of work and having a good jeep for 800-900 is worth it!
ThePhenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you just need to tow it a short distance, put the transfer case in neutral and pull it home with a tow rope. Saves you money and If you have to buy the tow rope it is money well spent for the future when you will be the one lending a hand.
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
WJeff
2001 WJ 

There's no fixing that engine. You can probably drop in a junk yard engine and still come out ahead.

Jumping around could be any number of suspension related issues.

Good Luck. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you.
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

I picked up mine for $600 and it had a knocking engine. I spent about $1000 and rebuilt it myself. That is with boring it .030 over with new pistons,cam,oil pump,lifters, gaskets, sending the head out to get checked for cracks and milled .008. And i did a valve job on it. But I aso work at a dealer and have access to some great equipment and know a lot of people to help.
88yjproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
jayjjcc

CIMG0014.mp4 video by jayjjcc - Photobucket

^ Video of the engine running... I added 6L of oil... I'm assuming the gauge reads 5.4L because that's how much oil fits into the crankcase/filter/etc...? Anyways you can see in the video it reads about 4 after adding 6L... it's starts great and runs hard, but runs when it has oil in it

rocker panels are rusted out, other than that there are 2-3 fist sized spots that have been primered... everything works, cept the back wiper (new motor) and blower... also the back door won't open, but I read somewhere that that is a relay issue, and there is a way to override it?
Unread 08-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
jayjjcc

bump^ anyone watch the video yet?
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
testify
1996 ZJ 

I watched your video and cannot see the guage you are referring too, and although I'm not familiar with the WJ's, I would be surprised if there was an 'oil level' guage on the dash. Could you be you be confusing it with the 'oil pressure' guage? If you lost oil pressure and did not immediately turn off the motor, that would be a cause for the bearing failure in your motor.

Anywho, that motor is toast. That noise sounds like rod knock for sure. Stop messing around with it and stop wasting money putting oil in it.
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

X2 on the gauge reading, it is oil pressure not volume you are looking at. and a little over 40 would be about normal for a 100,000 mile engine. First have your codes scanned and find out what the errors are for the check engine light and then maybe a compression check. It sounds like either a rod knocking or maybe a broken piston, burned or broken valve or similar issue. You can either rebuild that motor or buy a used motor and replace or part it out for more than you paid. The rear differential should net you $300 or so.
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
Joshcop
1999 WJ 

...sounds like the engine ingested the silicate mixture intended to murder it during the cash-for-clunkers program...
Joshcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
jayjjcc

Yea I only paid $300 for it... I was hoping to have a decent running WJ for less than $2000 in repairs... problem is I can't find a scrap yard with a 4.7..
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjjcc View Post
Yea I only paid $300 for it... I was hoping to have a decent running WJ for less than $2000 in repairs... problem is I can't find a scrap yard with a 4.7..
...and you probably wont. I've been looking around for a used 4.7 and its near impossible where i am as far as junk yards go. Hit up Craigslist. I found one there for free
99_WJ_Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
jayjjcc

So what should I do? Buy a rebuild kit? I looked at a few, but I was wondering what kinda kit to get... there are different ones, I'm assuming a Master rebuild kit? Is it cheaper/does a dodge pickup 4.7 rebuild kit work?
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
jayjjcc

I live in Sherbrooke, QC by the way... craigslist isn't really used around here... are there any other engine's that would fit "easily" in these WJ's? If I can get a used engine for less than a rebuild, I'd rather go for that... but the 4.7L WJ engine is impossible to find it seems...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.