99 Grand Cher. roof crushed by a tree - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 Grand Cher. roof crushed by a tree

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #16
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

rofl. Turn it into a tube buggy!!

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #17
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

chop the top..
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #18
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straty1987 View Post
its not completely crushed. looks like you need a new front windshield and driver door. the roof to be poped out and fixed.

probably can get a body shop to fix the body and paint it for 1 or 2 k so just ask around and see what people estimate the price. look around for a used door to get painted to match or one of the same color. the glass might be able to get used.
Did you just make all that up? None of it's true...
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #19
wonderbrd937
1999 WJ 

chop it or part it
tons of fabrication
wonderbrd937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #20
straty1987

sorry if i said something wrong. and i am not claming to be an expert on this ,

but i had a friends that car roof and all the glass destroyed by a tree, similar to this but was only 3 story's tall and had a round top. the body shop was able to repair the pillars for the roof and use the roof of a junk yard car. they took all the glass out of the junk yard car and was able to use them. the car looks ok but not great.

i am not saying he can do it with a hammer and a week end but it can be fixed at a shop.

- he has no sunroof
- the passenger side of the jeep looks fine
- the rear driver side door
- the rear driver side pillar looks like it is a bent bent at the top and that bad all the way to the one in front of the driver
- hood looks ok, it maybe one hole
-the driver side door, front driver side pillar, driver side roof rail, and front glass is gone.

you guys are telling me this cant be fixed?
not saying its going to be cheap, but whatever he decides to do its not going to be cheap

can look for another jeep and use the damaged one for parts and sell for money, but the new jeep wont fell the same as this one did.
if the engine and transmission are fine, can find a bad wj and swap them over.
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #21
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
Did you just make all that up? None of it's true...
Nah ... he just had some muffler bearing frag and ATF+4 in both of his eyes.

I am liking the high five dudes
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #22
aintnothang
1999 WJ 

go buggy.
10char
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #23
wonderbrd937
1999 WJ 

Quote:

but i had a friends that car roof and all the glass destroyed by a tree, similar to this but was only 3 story's tall and had a round top. the body shop was able to repair the pillars for the roof and use the roof of a junk yard car. they took all the glass out of the junk yard car and was able to use them. the car looks ok but not great.

i am not saying he can do it with a hammer and a week end but it can be fixed at a shop.

- he has no sunroof
- the rear driver side pillar looks like it is a bent bent at the top and that bad all the way to the one in front of the driver
-the driver side door, front driver side pillar, driver side roof rail, and front glass is gone.

not saying its going to be cheap, but whatever he decides to do its not going to be cheap

can look for another jeep and use the damaged one for parts and sell for money, but the new jeep wont fell the same as this one did.
if he was to go through an insurance claim, they would classify it as totaled.
im talking about being on a somewhat budget, saying chop it or sell it
tons of fabrication
wonderbrd937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #24
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

Nothing a heat gun and a hammer can't fix!
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #25
bamftruck
1998 ZJ 

why cant you trun it over to your home owners insurance? they should cover it because it was in your driveway and it was your tree. they would say it was totaled and give you they money to buy a new (to you) one that you can in turn give to your son.

Thats what i would do.... but then again i wouldn't want it sitting in my yard waiting to get parted out
bamftruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #26
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Quote:

- he has no sunroof

Won't feel the same as the old one? Boo hoo, it's a freaking car dude.

What does having a sunroof or not have to do with having a tree riding shotgun? Even if he didn't have one before, he certainly does now. The ROOF ALONE, forget about the glass and stupid scratches here and there...the roof alone is more headache than it's worth. The amount of hours chopping the entire, yes the entire roof off (you won't be patching that up) then welding the new one up is worth way more than the vehicle is worth. Do you have any idea how much of a pain in the *** it is to do this? It isn't simple cut the old one then lay the new one on top and magically everything lines up so you just weld the thing and call it a day. And at $80+ an hour for a shop...That car could have been driven by the pope and I still wouldn't bother.

Add the cost of the roof, glass, doors, you're going to have enough of a bill already. Tally up all the hours in labor just to replace the roof. Then add another $2,000 for paint/body work..

Can it be fixed? Of course. Anything can be fixed. When I was in the towing/recovery business, I towed in a brand new,fully loaded avalanche (hell if i remember the year but it was only about two months old at the time), there wasn't a single good panel left on it, something like $15,000-$20,000 in damage...guy had full coverage and the insurance co didn't total it.
perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.