99 GC shaking, stalling, sputter.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 GC shaking, stalling, sputter....

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
tensbar

99 GC shaking, stalling, sputter....

Jeep started shaking intermittently, start up, stop lights, etc. Progressed to would not turn over 1st try , 2nd turn of key no problem. progressed to shaking, when gas depressed no power, very rough idle, sputtering etc. let it go in just idle for a few min and it would seem to catch and drive halfway decent , although still shake at lights, and not a lot of power. Shop said bad Fuel pump. Changed fuel pump, no change, was told bad O2 sensor, new sensor no change. check engine light is on but no codes retrieved. When this first began, Spark plugs looked like crap, replaced them all and it worked perfectly. for one day. sometimes when driving there is a loud "popping" noise coming from what sounds like the glove compartment area, like air popping. Also replaced the coil as well.

tensbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Your in the wrong sub-forum. This is for Full Size Jeeps.
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
jroth0916
2001 WJ 

I have been experiencing a similar problem with the 2001 GC I have. I have been experiencing the same problem randomly for almost a year now. Hopefully someone gets you an answer. There is a service bulletin for the 4.7L engines, I think it's TSB 1803705. This might be a solution.
jroth0916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Lrw95
2002 WJ 

Try the fuel pump. Mine had similar issues to yours and after I replaced the fuel pump everything was fine.
Lrw95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrw95 View Post
Try the fuel pump. Mine had similar issues to yours and after I replaced the fuel pump everything was fine.
He said he already replaced the pump! Pay attention you at the back!
Sounds like it could be a low power issue to me. Have you checked the battery (a load test is better than just checking the voltage). Also is the alternater charging at correct voltage even with lots of load on it. Low or varying voltage can cause all sorts of running issues on these models.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.