99 GC 4.0 won't start, and beeps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 GC 4.0 won't start, and beeps

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 02-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
vistacruisin

Wj 99 GC 4.0 won't start, and beeps

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 liter I-6. I just had the cv axles and shocks replaced, and everything was working great, except a rear taillight with a short. I parked it last night, and everything seemed normal. when I tried to start it this morning, it sounded like it was cranking slow, and would not turn over and the lights would dim. Then, there was just a clicking from the engine bay when I turned the key. I tried jumping the battery, and got it to start by pumping the gas peddle, but it would not idle at all, and just died. all of the lights work as do the windows and door locks, so I am pretty sure my battery is good (can't seem to find my multimeter right now). when I decided to give up for the day, I realized that when I turned the car off and removed the key and opened the door, the car started beeping like it does when the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is opened or the lights are on when the car is off. The beeping only stops when the door is closed or if the ignition is in the on position. The lights are all turned off, and the key is out, why would it beep at me, and are all of these problems related?
Please help, I just dropped my whole tax refund at my mechanic, and if I have to take it back in, I would love to know what I might be getting myself into before hand. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks-
Mike

vistacruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
2003wranglerRHD

sounds like a junk battery to me u have all the symptoms
2003wranglerRHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
robby65
2007 XK Commander 

Me too, if battery is 3yrs old and your in cold country it could be battery,maybe even cables.
Make sure cables are clean and tight.

maybe take the bulb out too if it has a short,check wires also for any breaks.
robby65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
vistacruisin

The battery is good. it's only 2 years old and I had them check it at O'reilly's just to be safe
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
MoparMan1990
2000 WJ 

My battery is only 15 months old and it's bad!!! They refuse to give me a new one I'll never go to autozone again
MoparMan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
vistacruisin

I just replaced the old battery cable terminals with new new ones, still no luck. I am thinking it must be something else. All of the electrical parts, lights, locks etc. are working fine, just no luck getting her started. I tried tapping on the starter and the iac, with no luck either. someone at the parts store suggested that I might have a bad alternator, but wouldn't the car start anyway with a full charge on the battery? I am really hoping not to have to spend my next paycheck on this Jeep. I have had 2 xj's in the past, And upgraded in size to make room for carseats and cargo room, but this WJ has been quite a headache, and at times makes me miss my xj's.
Unread 02-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
vistacruisin

After talking to the service guy at my local jeep dealer, I was able to get my GC started by jumping the battery for about 20 minutes, and then keeping the revs up around 2000 for about 5 minutes. He said that if the computer had low or no power for any period of time, it can lose it memory and "forget" how to idle, which apparently also keeps the engine from fully starting. After I got it started and idled for a few minutes, I drove around the block a few times, and the longer I drove the less it seemed like the engine was wanting to stall out. The dealer's service guy said that the computer had to re learn how to idle. Has anyone encountered this before or heard of the onboard computer acting like that?
Unread 02-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #8
MoparMan1990
2000 WJ 

Mine will start but I have to keep on the gas or it'll die but after driving for a bit it's fine only does it when the battery dies
Unread 02-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMan1990
My battery is only 15 months old and it's bad!!! They refuse to give me a new one I'll never go to autozone again
Go to a different Autozone

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistacruisin
After talking to the service guy at my local jeep dealer, I was able to get my GC started by jumping the battery for about 20 minutes, and then keeping the revs up around 2000 for about 5 minutes. He said that if the computer had low or no power for any period of time, it can lose it memory and "forget" how to idle, which apparently also keeps the engine from fully starting. After I got it started and idled for a few minutes, I drove around the block a few times, and the longer I drove the less it seemed like the engine was wanting to stall out. The dealer's service guy said that the computer had to re learn how to idle. Has anyone encountered this before or heard of the onboard computer acting like that?
The compter doesn't have to learn how to idle. It wont idle with low voltage due to a bad battery. I still think your battery is bad. I've seen those parts store testers get it wrong. My last battery lasted only 2 years

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
2003wranglerRHD

ill never go back to auto zone and the only time that my jeep didnt start is if battery was dead then i had to jump it and it would still take 20 to start so i replaced my battery and nvr had prob ever since it will fire right up
2003wranglerRHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
MoparMan1990
2000 WJ 

I've been going to advance auto for years but I thought I'd go to auto zone because it's closer big mistake!! I've never had a problem with advance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.