85 in 4.7 high output? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 85 in 4.7 high output?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-12-2014, 02:07 AM   #1
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

Wj 85 in 4.7 high output?

Hi,

This is my first post in the WJ section...and I'm sure it won't be the last. I know there has been discussion of octane in the high output but this is more specific. Is it entirely okay to run 85 octane in the high output in colorado? I'm not saying I redline it all the time but if in the most extreme scenario, if I were to randomly WOT, would the high output be okay running 85? I know it would be less powerful, that's fine. I just don't want it to knock if I occasionally push it to the limit when it's running 85 octane....

Thanks in advance,

- Jordan

kaleo333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 02:25 AM   #2
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

If this was the 4.7 Low Output, I might not respond, but I believe the High Output should never get that low octane of gas. Other people will show up with opinions, testimonials, and facts, but until then, take it from me and keep using high octane gas.
Unread 05-12-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
veiri86

2003 WJ 

All the ignition process in the HO engine was tuned by the manufacturer to run High RON, running low run engine will damage the engine on the long run. In the beginning you will notice a difference in the performance but in the long run you will notice that your engine will be damaged.

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 04:30 AM   #4
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

A slight different look

the HO has knock sensors
and once it detects knock/pinging/pre-ignition it should change the timing to avoid further knocking/pre ignition and damage and there should be no damage
loss in performance yes, damage doubtful

the low output has no knock sensor, and when using the Supachip mapping and the ch1t quality of our fuel I heard my 4.7 pinging/preigniting

hope this helps

http://s538.photobucket.com/user/kfxnando/library/?sort=3&page=1
kfxnando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thanks you guys are really helpful and quick.

I was just confused with the weird way that Colorado gas works, where 87 is 85 a mile above sea level. Theoretically on 87 though, even when the engine is working hard it wouldn't ping at all right? I'm not planning on racing this thing, not even close, I'm just thinking worst case scenario, if I run the cheapest gas in Colorado (85) and then redline it, will I be damaging the high output engine or will the anti-knock keep it safe?

I don't intend to run 90+ octane ever due to price. I just want minimum octane to keep the engine safe at all RPM's
Unread 05-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #6
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

From my understanding the knock sensor and ECU should keep it safe
other wise why would there of been a knock sensor in the system if not to protect and optimiser the engine output

this is just how I understand it!!

http://s538.photobucket.com/user/kfxnando/library/?sort=3&page=1
kfxnando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #7
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

Is the initial pinging to trigger the sensor and slow the ignition timing bad for the engine as well or unnoticeable?

and does anyone have mileage figures for different octanes? Maybe this is a whole different thread...
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Question: Does the owners manual say to run Premium Fuel? If so, and you don't EVER intend to run premium fuel, why would you buy a vehicle that requires you to do so?
lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

The 4.7 HO has dual knock sensors specifically for this purpose. It's perfectly okay to run lower octane fuel, you just miss out on some of the extra power over the non-HO. I've been running 85 in mine for about a year with no issues at all.

Sent from inside my dinosoar head.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

I have an h/o and I believe the owners manual recommends high octane but stats that 87 is usable. I run both fuels

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yeah I know the manual says premium if you want to match the dyno specs. But I just want mileage really and to not break it of course.

Good to hear that 85 is fine. I'll try to go easy on it when it's running anything less than 87.
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
VestaviaPirate
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleo333 View Post
and does anyone have mileage figures for different octanes? Maybe this is a whole different thread...
This has been discussed at length, regarding specifically the 4.7 H.O. Pretty good facts and data to pour over.

There is also something to be said for using 87 Octane WITH 10% ethanol and using 87 Octane WITHOUT ethanol. I can attest that using ethanol-free octane makes a WORLD of difference in performance (feel) and mileage (my calculations).

Personally, I switch back and forth between 93 and 87 Octane, depending on what state I'm in. NC (home) is sometimes 30-50 cents more for 87 than SC (work) is for 93. I just depends on where I fill up. It's hard for me to swallow $10 more per fill up for lesser gas. That's why I try my damn-est to time my fill ups when I'm leaving work, instead of on the weekends.
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:

I don't intend to run 90+ octane ever due to price. I just want minimum octane to keep the engine safe at all RPM's
Here there is only a $.30 difference per gallon bt 87/91... That works out to be a difference of $6.00 per tank.

When I run 87 I get much worse gas mileage, resulting in more fill ups and HIGHER cost in the long run over 91...
Unread 05-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

If I can afford 91 (highest octane in CO) I would love to run it because it seems like I could benefit from:
better mileage
more power!
would never ping
cleaner engine (meaning longer life for engine)

through my meager and quick calculations, it looks like a 2 mpg increase between 85 to 91 would be enough to make premium fuel "cheaper".
Unread 05-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
If I can afford 91 (highest octane in CO) I would love to run it because it seems like I could benefit from:
better mileage
more power!
would never ping
cleaner engine (meaning longer life for engine)

through my meager and quick calculations, it looks like a 2 mpg increase between 85 to 91 would be enough to make premium fuel "cheaper".
If you can't afford an extra few dollars at your fill-ups, then you should probably cut out fast food, buying pop, and other stupid **** you spend money on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.