6.5 inch IRO lift questions and opinions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 6.5 inch IRO lift questions and opinions

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
golfinWJ
2004 WJ 

Welding anything is not a problem. My dad is welder and can weld anything I need. Would re-welding them be a large task or something that is fairly easy to do?

golfinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #17
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Rewelding isn't the hard part, cutting them off is! Them factory welds are deep.

But no, it isn't that hard with the proper tools.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #18
golfinWJ
2004 WJ 

Ok, if it comes to having to do that I think I could manage it.
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinWJ View Post
Ok, if it comes to having to do that I think I could manage it.
Please do this. I'd love to see pictures.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #20
fast540
1999 WJ 

Do it 6" looks awesome and the little quirks are no problem to iron out. Any time anyone new wants to go over 2" of lift people always start in on them but if someone that's been here lifts to whatever size it's all good. Just do it right and take tech. Advice where given and all will be fine. Guys like skain and gcjeeping are ones to watch out for too btw they seem to know their way around a wj pretty well
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Please do this. I'd love to see pictures.
I'll be doing mine next month and try and document:

Cut and rotate inner C's, inner sleeves, inner C gussets, LCA gussets and E-locker with BTF cover.

Then it's on to the rear tire carrier.
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
I'll be doing mine next month and try and document:

Cut and rotate inner C's, inner sleeves, inner C gussets, LCA gussets and E-locker with BTF cover.

Then it's on to the rear tire carrier.
You I'm not worried about - I'm sure you can handle a cut and turn. My [sarcastic] reply was directed at the OP.

Off topic though - may I suggest in lieu of lca gussets just cutting off the old lca mounts and welding on new HD tabs, taking the opportunity to raise them up a bit on the tube (not too much to affect geometry)? The stock wj lca mounts hang dreadfully low.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
evilcairn
2001 WJ 

I have a 6.5" lift IRO with 35" , my feeling after 4 months:

- The kit alone is not complete !
- You need a Front DS (multi cv or high angle one) and a Rear DS (custom size) ( the rear oem DS isn't really bad but ... with time you need to change it ..)
- You need coil retainer (yes i lost a coil this weekend) (bot and top anyway)
- You need custom bumpstop (not include)
- 33" need more or less zero trimming with the 6.5" , 35" need a lot of trimming (in fact , need trimming if you want a max flex).
- i don't put my Quick disco Sway bar ( front) and it's already efficient but ... if you need more flex , put it ! really impressive btw without ..
- The LCA are very strong and tough but the bushing are very noisy.
- Beware and add loctite on ALL bolts (after tuning)
- Add a custom Draglink or a custom pit arm . The angle is not really bad but to high in flex position.
- Front tie rod (from IRO) is strong but , too long .. (u can't manage so much adjustement)

I think it's a pretty cool kit, good looking , good parts , add to your wj a great flex and efficient, but you need more pieces to be complete and have a healthy car.
WJ 2001 V8 , 6.5" lift IRO , 35" BF , Front DS TomWoods mutilCV, Fender Iceland, TrueTrac Eaton Front, Gears 4:56 , Custom Front bumper, custom rock slidder ....
evilcairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
golfinWJ
2004 WJ 

I do wish it came with the needed front drive shaft to make my life a little easier but that isn't a deal breaker, I can pick one up without much trouble. Hopefully some one can clarify...as far as what front drive shaft I need, can I just pull one of the better drive shafts out of another WJ or are those drive shafts still not good enough?
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #25
1way4x4
2003 WJ 

I have had an IRO 6.5 lift for just a little over an year and I love it. Currently I am only running 32s with the rear sway bar disconnected. It is designed for offroad and not my dd but in my opinion it handles as good as stock. I spent a week 4x4 camping with my grandsons this year in E Ore doing extreme offroading and it did excellent. I am not a mechanic and can't address all the technical issues like others but all I know is that it flat worked excellent and went places very few other people would dare take their vehicles. Personally why go for 4" of lift when you can afford 6.5 and go more places. People at IRO are excellent as well. Have fun
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #26
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinWJ View Post
I do wish it came with the needed front drive shaft to make my life a little easier but that isn't a deal breaker, I can pick one up without much trouble. Hopefully some one can clarify...as far as what front drive shaft I need, can I just pull one of the better drive shafts out of another WJ or are those drive shafts still not good enough?
You already have the "good" factory shaft in an 04.

Other thing I forgot is when you go over 4 in the angles on the draglink and steering box get pretty severe. Probably ok for a DD, but any decent offroading flex and you'll be binding them and limiting your travel.

And also to keep in mind when offroading: after rotating up to get the pinion close, it puts your front cover and tie rod lower, making them more likely to bang on rocks. The factory SS is REAL low; pretty much have to relocate that.
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #27
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Off topic though - may I suggest in lieu of lca gussets just cutting off the old lca mounts and welding on new HD tabs, taking the opportunity to raise them up a bit on the tube (not too much to affect geometry)? The stock wj lca mounts hang dreadfully low.
Not a bad idea.. I'll take a look at those.. might be enough meat to just redrill the holes higher in the stockers, and trim the bottoms off.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.