545RFE - Anyone know how to shut 5th gear for towing?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 545RFE - Anyone know how to shut 5th gear for towing??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 12-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #16
04ovrland
2004 WJ 

he wasnt asking HOW to run off OD. he knows he can hit the button to shut OD off.

What he is asking is how to only shut 5th gear off, because 4th and 5th are shut off when you use the o/d button to shut od off.

As far as the OP asking how to shut only 5th gear off, i don't think its possible mainly because jeep did not design the tranny to work that way, About the only way to make it work like that is to drive 65 instead of 75 on the highway. this will gain you MPG and reduce wear and tear, although it might add an hour or so to the trip difference depending on the length of the ride. 63 is the sweet spot for my jeep, i can get into the 24mpg range on the highway( of course thats not towing)

Unread 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
jimrowe0
1999 WJ 

I always tow my boat with OD off, unless on long highway stretches.
jimrowe0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCrOz View Post
As far as I've ever seen, there is no choice to be able to select 4th gear with the 545. If it is possible to flash to 45RFE software, you'll lose the 5th gear, but Im not sure if its even possible to downgrade.
On my 06 dodge ram 1500 HEMI, 545fre, there was tow/haul mode which lokced out 5th, and OD off which locked out 4th and 5th.
I've been trying to find a way to do this to our WJ, without pissing off the computer.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #19
Rocklobster
2004 WJ 

Thaught there was something about that on wj jeeps IDK

Sent directly from my brain using JeepForum
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
jeepvsgti
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAM View Post
Are you supossed to use OD while towing? I tow my boat on average 3 times a week (2500lbs) and I don't do anything differently, just put it in drive. I've been doing it for years with no problem. it may be the wrong way though, Im not sure
depends on the size of boat. if your transmission is constantly shifting in and out of the higher gears, i would click off the o/d. but if its shifting pretty normally, than your good.
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #21
MiCrOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
On my 06 dodge ram 1500 HEMI, 545fre, there was tow/haul mode which lokced out 5th, and OD off which locked out 4th and 5th.
I've been trying to find a way to do this to our WJ, without pissing off the computer.
The only way I see that possible is swapping the TCM's
MiCrOz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #22
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I use my 2000 WJ to tow 5k or a little more on a regular basis.. I always use button and lock OD off.. I figure fuel is cheaper than a transmission rebuild.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.