545RFE - Anyone know how to shut 5th gear for towing?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 545RFE - Anyone know how to shut 5th gear for towing??

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 12-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Jet 4.7
2001 WJ 

Wj 545RFE - Anyone know how to shut 5th gear for towing??

Hi Guys, I've got a bit of long distance towing to do in my 2001 4.7 w/ 545RFE gearbox, has anyone out there been able to lock out 5th and keep 4th. I'm towing 3500 - 4000lb camper and hauling in OD on and OD off modes is painful on a long trip at 55-60 mph!

Any ideas appreciated!

Jet

Jet 4.7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I believe od off is what you need to be using, I think that is does not only shut off od but changes the shift points to give you a little more power.

Sent directly from my brain using JeepForum
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Jet 4.7
2001 WJ 

Hey RL, thanks for the reply, agreed - but towing with OD off (3rd gear) has the rpm at about 2600 and is heavy on fuel, where as with OD on (5th gear) fuel econ is ok but no torque because of the 1600 rpm or so. 4th gear would be ideal if i could just select it!!!
Jet 4.7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Well once you get going on the highway put od back on for the long runs hills might suck tho

Unread 12-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Your 4th gear is like a passing gear I dont think unless you reflash the tranny computer you can use it the way you think.

Unread 12-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Check wjjeeps.com

Unread 12-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
ZAM
2003 WJ 

Are you supossed to use OD while towing? I tow my boat on average 3 times a week (2500lbs) and I don't do anything differently, just put it in drive. I've been doing it for years with no problem. it may be the wrong way though, Im not sure
ZAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

I turn off OD for towing when I'm climbing hills, but if I'm cruising on a flat highway (Kansas), I drive like normal.
chrisstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAM
Are you supossed to use OD while towing? I tow my boat on average 3 times a week (2500lbs) and I don't do anything differently, just put it in drive. I've been doing it for years with no problem. it may be the wrong way though, Im not sure
You're not supposed to use OD when towing, as the constant shifting that the auto tranny will want to do between OD and actual gears will heat the transmission right up, and as we know, heat is the enemy when it comes to transmissions.

However, many just turn their OD off when in hilly terrain/city/areas where the strain on the engine will change, and leave OD on when towing across a flat surface at a constant speed.

Long story short, you'll be fine with OD on as long as your transmission isn't hunting for gears, if you notice it shifting up, down, down, up, etc take it out of OD.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
gphunkplp
1999 WJ 

i think hes asking how to turn the od off. not whether he should drive with it on. is there a button somewhete?

Sent from my optimus
gphunkplp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphunkplp
i think hes asking how to turn the od off. not whether he should drive with it on. is there a button somewhete?
I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to ZAM.

Yes there is a button right on your shifter to turn OD on or off.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #12
MiCrOz

As far as I've ever seen, there is no choice to be able to select 4th gear with the 545. If it is possible to flash to 45RFE software, you'll lose the 5th gear, but Im not sure if its even possible to downgrade.
MiCrOz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:49 AM   #13
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

get a manual tranny.
Unread 12-20-2011, 03:08 AM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

od off, except when on long stretches of flat highway at constant speed.

od off also allows the torque converter to lock in 3rd gear, keeping the heat soak in the trans down even more.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #15
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Did you really not know where the button is?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.