So my right rear window regulator cable block decided to fracture recently and rather than order and wait for the beautiful aluminum replacement blocks I tried to epoxy it back together which lasted oh about 6 hours before fracturing again.
Of course when the cable block let go the cable got wrapped up and kinked funny, so I had to rewrap the cable after working the kinks out, was a real chore but had done it before when another window had the cable jump the pulley.
As I pondered, frustrated and broken hearted, I had a thought and can now report that I have created a $5.61 repair for the cheapo plastic cable block design the Jeep gods bequested us. All you need is a 1/8" Clamp Set for use with wire rope. I found a set of 2 at Home Depot for, you guessed it, $5.61 (P/N #7460).
I elected to only fix one side, but you could certainly fix the up and down cable at the same time - there is plenty of room on the land where the cable block is mounted - the design of the regulator motor and spring cales is such that it will tolerate a little slop but try and keep the locations as similar to stock as possible to minimize slack.
After disassembling the regulator and removing the epoxy from my previous fix attempt, I marked out a location and drilled a couple holes.
Then I placed the u-bolt over the cable and into the block, pushed them through the hole and secured the bolts.
Checked the depth against the track and the window, all is good.
Reassembled, did a fit check, tested it with the window glass re-attached and it is all good. $6.00 with tax and about 40 minutes.
If you use the idea and it works name your next kid after me, or post up a unique/red-neck engineering fix you have come up with - which ever...