$5.61 Window Regulator Fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > $5.61 Window Regulator Fix

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Wj $5.61 Window Regulator Fix

So my right rear window regulator cable block decided to fracture recently and rather than order and wait for the beautiful aluminum replacement blocks I tried to epoxy it back together which lasted oh about 6 hours before fracturing again.

Of course when the cable block let go the cable got wrapped up and kinked funny, so I had to rewrap the cable after working the kinks out, was a real chore but had done it before when another window had the cable jump the pulley.

As I pondered, frustrated and broken hearted, I had a thought and can now report that I have created a $5.61 repair for the cheapo plastic cable block design the Jeep gods bequested us. All you need is a 1/8" Clamp Set for use with wire rope. I found a set of 2 at Home Depot for, you guessed it, $5.61 (P/N #7460).

I elected to only fix one side, but you could certainly fix the up and down cable at the same time - there is plenty of room on the land where the cable block is mounted - the design of the regulator motor and spring cales is such that it will tolerate a little slop but try and keep the locations as similar to stock as possible to minimize slack.

After disassembling the regulator and removing the epoxy from my previous fix attempt, I marked out a location and drilled a couple holes.

Then I placed the u-bolt over the cable and into the block, pushed them through the hole and secured the bolts.

Checked the depth against the track and the window, all is good.

Reassembled, did a fit check, tested it with the window glass re-attached and it is all good. $6.00 with tax and about 40 minutes.

If you use the idea and it works name your next kid after me, or post up a unique/red-neck engineering fix you have come up with - which ever...:

'Son-of-Beast' - '02 WJ Limited, 4.7, 545RFE 5-spd Auto, Quadra-Drive, KOR 2.5" BB, Rancho RS5000's, Firestone Destination AT 265/70R17's, Flowmaster DeltaFlow 40, KMA/TAG armor, JK Fuel Door, Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, LED Taillights, LED Interior Lights - Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...imited-956744/
Son-of-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
jahcure
2000 WJ 

Did the Same with a crimped electrical connector and a bicycle brake wire " my wire was torn and in bad shape "
jahcure is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.