4WD Select-Trac shifting question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4WD Select-Trac shifting question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Woliwi

2004 WJ 

4WD Select-Trac shifting question

I have a 2004 4.0 Select-Trac

When in 4 LO, does shifting to 2 or 1 have any affect, positive or negative?

Thanks, Woliwi

Old Man Emu HD Springs * Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks * Iron Rock Adj. LCA's & UCA's * JKS Adj. Trackbar w/ KOR Durometer Bushings * Moog Super Trail Boss Steering Stabilizer * Addco 1" Anti-Sway Bar w/ Energy Bushings * IRO Rear Ext. Endlinks * KOR .75 Front Poly Spacer * Falken Rocky Mountain LT 265/75/16 ATS on stock Silverblades #1
Woliwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
braddf
2001 WJ 

Well you can't go over 25 and thats pushing it so i wouldnt think that it would matter
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Woliwi

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddf View Post
Well you can't go over 25 and thats pushing it so i wouldnt think that it would matter
Yes....I know about the under 25mph in 4 lo....

Was wondering if, while in 4 lo, does shifting out of Drive into 2 or 1 have any advantages/disadvantages (gear ratio) for climbing really steep hills.
Old Man Emu HD Springs * Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks * Iron Rock Adj. LCA's & UCA's * JKS Adj. Trackbar w/ KOR Durometer Bushings * Moog Super Trail Boss Steering Stabilizer * Addco 1" Anti-Sway Bar w/ Energy Bushings * IRO Rear Ext. Endlinks * KOR .75 Front Poly Spacer * Falken Rocky Mountain LT 265/75/16 ATS on stock Silverblades #1
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
tim0

2002 WJ 

Yes it will have a positive and negative affect depending on how you look at it.

It doesnt martter 2wd, 4x4 high or 4x4 low. Same affect. If you put the transmission in normal range or OD to drive, every thing is done automaticaly for you.
If you drop down to 2nd this will limit the transmission from shifting up any higher than 2nd gear.
Same with putting it in 1st, will not shift to 2nd, 3rd and so on.

Positive?
While going down hill it will make the engine help slow down the jeep and maintain a constant speed without using the brakes as much.
While going up hills and long enclines it keeps the transmission from constantly shifting up and back down, keeping from over working the transmission.

Negative?
If you forget to shift back up its very easy to over rev the engine.
tim0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Woliwi

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim0 View Post
Yes it will have a positive and negative affect depending on how you look at it.

It doesnt martter 2wd, 4x4 high or 4x4 low. Same affect. If you put the transmission in normal range or OD to drive, every thing is done automaticaly for you.
If you drop down to 2nd this will limit the transmission from shifting up any higher than 2nd gear.
Same with putting it in 1st, will not shift to 2nd, 3rd and so on.

Positive?
While going down hill it will make the engine help slow down the jeep and maintain a constant speed without using the brakes as much.
While going up hills and long enclines it keeps the transmission from constantly shifting up and back down, keeping from over working the transmission.

Negative?
If you forget to shift back up its very easy to over rev the engine.
Thank you very much TimO...That clears things up....mostly. I understand that gear 2 and 1 eliminate any automatic gear changing in any mode, and the possible benefits of a steep descent or maybe a long, slow steady ascent

When in only 4WDlo is there still automatic gear changing? Is 4WDlo as low as it goes? or does 4WDlo and gear 2 or 1 change any gearing?
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
tim0

2002 WJ 

You still have all gears in the transmission even in 4x4-low that you normally would have had.

Your profile shows you have 4.0 i6.
Which means you have the 4 speed OD trans. So you have OD on or 4th, OD off which will put you in 3rd, then you have 2nd and 1st.
Now in 4x4 low you still have OD or 4th( 4x4 low in 4th gear), when you turn it off you will be going slower, (4x4 low in 3rd gear) then you have (4x4 low in 2nd gear) and (4x4 low in 1st gear).

I use the OD off button every time I'm going down a long hill where I need to keep using the brakes to slow down and just watch the mpg max out.
This will make it use the engine speed to help slow you down just like shifting down with a manual transmission.
Just remember to turn it back on when your over the hill and need to shift back up to 4th.
tim0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Woliwi

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim0 View Post
You still have all gears in the transmission even in 4x4-low that you normally would have had.

Your profile shows you have 4.0 i6.
Which means you have the 4 speed OD trans. So you have OD on or 4th, OD off which will put you in 3rd, then you have 2nd and 1st.
Now in 4x4 low you still have OD or 4th( 4x4 low in 4th gear), when you turn it off you will be going slower, (4x4 low in 3rd gear) then you have (4x4 low in 2nd gear) and (4x4 low in 1st gear).

I use the OD off button every time I'm going down a long hill where I need to keep using the brakes to slow down and just watch the mpg max out.
This will make it use the engine speed to help slow you down just like shifting down with a manual transmission.
Just remember to turn it back on when your over the hill and need to shift back up to 4th.
Thanks for the info TimO.....
And interestingly, I also took my silver Jeep and two sons wheeling around a lake today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.