45FRE shift kit..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 45FRE shift kit.....

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Jeepgcl9947

So I want to add a shift kit, I heard I should get it flashed to a 545FRE first but now I see they make a 6 gear programming for the 545FRE, question is could mine handle 6 gears??? Also how do I go about adding a shift kit I know there purpose but how do I add one. Thanks

Jeepgcl9947 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

The 6 "gears" are already in there. The 545RFE flash enables a second overdrive ratio, (aka 6th gear), while the 45RFE uses only one overdrive, (5th gear).

As for the shift kit, here's a write up on how to install it, as well as change the fluid, which you might as well do when you open it all up.

http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33521
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Jeepgcl9947

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename
The 6 "gears" are already in there. The 545RFE flash enables a second overdrive ratio, (aka 6th gear), while the 45RFE uses only one overdrive, (5th gear).

As for the shift kit, here's a write up on how to install it, as well as change the fluid, which you might as well do when you open it all up.

http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33521
So would the dealership flash it to a 6 speed, if so how much?
Jeepgcl9947 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Yes, dealership would do it, but I have no idea how much they would charge you. Are you sure no one has done it on your Jeep as of yet?
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

I can get my 545rfe flashed to a "6 speed"?!?!?

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
04Overland47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Overland47 View Post
I can get my 545rfe flashed to a "6 speed"?!?!?
yours already is.

Only the 99-mid 2001 ones didn't have the 6 speed software.

There are 6 forward gears, with two 2nd gears. One for the upshift, one for the downshift when you get on it.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
yours already is.

Only the 99-mid 2001 ones didn't have the 6 speed software.

There are 6 forward gears, with two 2nd gears. One for the upshift, one for the downshift when you get on it.
Oh, I thought it was two different ratios and the computer chooses the one depending on what you're asking it to do (upshift/downshift). Didn't know it was actually two different gears.

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
04Overland47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Hmm, this is new news to me. I did know my WJ had 6 speeds, so the dealer can flash this and your good to go? Does this help drivablity?
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockracer View Post
Hmm, this is new news to me. I did know my WJ had 6 speeds, so the dealer can flash this and your good to go? Does this help drivablity?
if you're at 2000 rpm while going 70, you already have the flash. Both second gears come from the factory on all models, 99-mid 2001 didn't have the "second overdrive" which the software flash takes care of.

Personally, living in a hilly area, I wish I didn't have the second over drive (5th gear), especially after bigger tires. I down shift way too much at highway speeds (55+, hitting mountains)

Unread 05-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Overland47 View Post
Oh, I thought it was two different ratios and the computer chooses the one depending on what you're asking it to do (upshift/downshift). Didn't know it was actually two different gears.
Those two things are the same thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.