42re WTF moment... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42re WTF moment...

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Good luck!

Unread 10-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

Haven't forgotten about you all. Life happens. Will try again tomorrow!
sixmikey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

So I finally got back under the jeep. The tv cable issue was due to me not putting it back together the right way. (kind of figured I was the reason) On the valve body where the throttle lever meets the piston there is a limit screw. Well, I didn't have the lever on the inside, close to the valve body. It was easy to fix that. I measured the distance the limit screw stuck out, removed it, moved the lever into the correct position and then reinstalled the screw. Slapped the pan back on, filled her up and fired her up. No go. Now the tranny seems to be stalling the engine. After it sits for a while, the engines will fire right up, until pressure builds up somewhere and kills it. So, I was all excited thinking that was the only problem for nothing. However, I noticed the piston in the valve body was a little "rough" feeling. It now makes me wonder if I had also put something else in wrong. Looks like the next step is to pull the valve body and see what I did wrong. Thank God that I put the drain plug in. Ideas? Suggestions?
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Did you take the valvebody apart?
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

I the first thing I did when disassembling my tranny for rebuild was the valve body. I carefully pulled it apart for cleaning and inspection. Everything looked good, so I reassembled it, but I wonder if I put a piston backwards or something. I'll probably regret saying this, but I'm 95% positive everything else is put back together correct. Endplay clearances measured properly on the final assembly, and everything was lubed prior to install. At this point its either valve body or parking rod, I'm guessing. Will start pulling it apart soon tonight. Hopefully I didn't fry something by doing it wrong.

Ps, I did each spring/piston in valve body one at a time, and made sure check balls were in correct places before reassembled.
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #21
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

I would for sure double check the valvebody before taking trans back out. Make sure servo is in correctly with the spring with the seals on the servo.
Unread 12-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

Sorry it's been so long without an update. Since I was last on here I tore it back down. I only dropped the pan and removed the valve body. Thankfully it didn't take me long to figure out what I did. I accidentally put the spring that controls the switch valve on the throttle valve piston. Effectively I had 2 springs in the bore. Oops. Hopefully I didn't screw anything up in there. It appeared to be undamaged. Finally got her all put back together and now no start. Cranks like it wants to go. When I hold the gas all the way (throttle body butterfly valve wide open) it acts like it wants to go but backfires. I already put 5 gallons of new gas in the tank since it's been so long. Only code pulled up is p0523, which appears to be oil pressure sensor/switch. Any ideas?

I'll add photos later in case anyone wants to see them. Just can't do it from phone right now.
Unread 12-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

Success! The crank position sensor got mangled when I put it back in because I forgot to put the spacer on it. So new crank sensor and it fired right up. Then I test drove her and she shifted beautifully. So I can officially say I've rebuilt the tranny. Now I've got to figure out the drive line noise.... it's always something! Lololol

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #24
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

Good news, drive line noise I heard was mis - routed cable rubbing against front driveshaft. Now it runs and drives like it should....and now to the fun stuff like lifting her and new shocks.
Unread 01-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #25
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

And that's why I hope I never have to work on a transmission! Good job on getting it sorted out.
chrism1367 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.