42re WTF moment... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42re WTF moment...

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 10-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

42re WTF moment...

Long story short...03 WJ 4.0 42re 4wd. Just got transmission back in my ride and I've got a problem or two. I did a rebuild myself and thought I did everything right. Fired her up and no go. (and yeah I've searched here and couldn't find anything similar to my problem) So I noticed my TV cable is "tight". Took it all apart 3x and still no change. So I decided to just rev it. It started to move, but veeeery slow. Kept checking fluid, seemed good (in neutral, engine idling, etc). Total of 9 qts of ATF+4. For rebuild I replaced torque convertor, radiator, check valve, plus almost everything I could in the transmission (clutches, seals, etc.)
So I had her running for a few minutes after realizing she isn't going anywhere. Then she quit. Won't start back up. It feels like something seized up.
Where do I start, again? I would love to not pull the whole thing again.

Btw, everything is stock, unmodified. I know I'll change soon. Lol

Need advice! Or a free mechanic, LOL.

sixmikey9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

Could parking pawl not being installed right have something to do with it? Just thinkin.
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Did you get the torque converter in correctly? Are the bands too tight? Did you crush the crank sensor?
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the quick reply. Im pretty sure I seated the torque convertor, measured about a half inch back from face of housing. Crank sensor is good. I put it in after tranny was in place. As for bands, I did them when the tranny was out, using an in/lb torque wrench. I figure they would be good? Has to be something I'm missing.
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Duh

Unseated filter could cause fluid to bypass it and go the wrong route. Depending on exactly what the tranny is trying to do it could cause various sorts of problems.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

Quick update...after it cooled down, it went back to starting and was able to move it a few inches to get my garage door down. W....t....f.
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
tim0

2002 WJ 

Did you add fluid to the new torque converter prior to installing it?
It should have 2 quarts poured in it prior to instalation. sometimes to get the fluid to run down in the converter it will need to be tilted about 75% to allow air to bleed out.
If not the internal fins won't turn to engage the pump.
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim0 View Post
Did you add fluid to the new torque converter prior to installing it?
It should have 2 quarts poured in it prior to instalation. sometimes to get the fluid to run down in the converter it will need to be tilted about 75% to allow air to bleed out.
If not the internal fins won't turn to engage the pump.
Never had to do this before. Done lots of transmissions and never had a problem with torque converter filling up after trans is installed. To the OP, did you adjust the bands correctly. It doesn't matter if you torqued the nuts to the required torque, as long as they are not loose. You have to make sure the levers movement on the servos is correct. Too loose and they won't hold the drum like they are supposed to.
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yjproject View Post

Never had to do this before. Done lots of transmissions and never had a problem with torque converter filling up after trans is installed. To the OP, did you adjust the bands correctly. It doesn't matter if you torqued the nuts to the required torque, as long as they are not loose. You have to make sure the levers movement on the servos is correct. Too loose and they won't hold the drum like they are supposed to.
Thanks for the ideas. I torqued the adjuster screws, then did the lock nuts. Got me wondering about the servos. However I'm pretty sure those were right, had the FSM with me. Any ideas about the throttle valve cable? It's difficult to even get it connected. Wasn't that way before. I don't think its cable, I think.
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
tim0

2002 WJ 

In transmission school we were tought that if we install a locking torque converter in an overdrive transmission, it must have fluid added prior to installation or this could happen.
I have not been brave enough to test this and have not seen it myself.
I think he said it was something about the way the fins engage.

An easy way to see if the pump is pumping would be to take one of the lines off at the trans cooler and see if fluid is comming out with it running.
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

I don't get what you mean when you say the throttle valve cable is tight. should move freely with the spring attached to the lever and the other end attached to the shift cable bracket.
Maybe a pic would help a lot.
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim0 View Post
In transmission school we were tought that if we install a locking torque converter in an overdrive transmission, it must have fluid added prior to installation or this could happen.
I have not been brave enough to test this and have not seen it myself.
I think he said it was something about the way the fins engage.

An easy way to see if the pump is pumping would be to take one of the lines off at the trans cooler and see if fluid is comming out with it running.
It doesn't hurt to do this, but not necessary. With 9 qts of trans fluid in his trans, It is full by now. Fluid constantly flows in and out of the converter. Another possibility would be did you install new pump seals. Does reverse act the same as forward?
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
tim0

2002 WJ 

That cable is adjustable at the top by pulling the lock lever up.
But if too tight to even connect, it's likley not connected correctly at the trans.
Check the mounting bracket is not bent or not bolted down incorrectly.
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

The bracket may somehow be on wrong. That's what I'm going to try again tonight. It has to be something simple. I've adjusted the cable before and never had this difficulty. The cable does move freely on the cable sheathing. Wish me luck.
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

88yj, it does it both forward & reverse. Will make another attempt soon, tonight. Thanks again to all who have helped so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.