42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #121
gold3n_8oy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
Just swapped speed sensor and still nothing...... even pulled the neg. cable to reset the computer
Could try to switch the TCM with someone's to see outcome. Worst case, buy a good used gearbox. Lucky for you in america there are many junkyard..in my country, none... me myself trying to figure out whats wrong with mine..

gold3n_8oy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #122
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

this would be the 3rd trans I have swapped in.... **** that
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #123
gold3n_8oy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
this would be the 3rd trans I have swapped in.... **** that
Oooops than that could be other cause..
gold3n_8oy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #124
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

Well the other 2 were milkshakes inaide the trans lol i knew what had happened. But I have a guy sending me an ECU to try if not ill be looking for a trans. Then start gathering for an AX15 swap
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #125
jbroderick1991

Wj need help asap! trans error code new sensor?

hello i have a 99 WJ for the past few months i have had the code po711 trans fluid temp sensor, so today i finally got to changing out the gov sensor and solenoid new filter and fluid, after i get everything back together my light comes on right away for a new code P1762 when both the sensor and solenoid are now new? yes i forgot to adjust the bands and it seems to start out in second gear. could i now have this new code because i didn't adjust the bands yet? cause I'm wondering if put in a defect sensor? i need help asap please any help highly appreciated!
jbroderick1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #126
logisticalstyle
1999 WJ 

Interestingly enough, I just had similar work done on my Jeep yesterday. I was getting a P0753 error code and the CEL was on with my transmission stuck in 3rd gear. My mechanic replaced the Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid and changed the filter. He cleared the error code afterwards and it hasn't come back yet.
logisticalstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #127
jbroderick1991

Wj

well i just replaced both the sensor and solenoid now i have a code for p1762 and I'm stuck in 2nd gear i didn't have this code before i replaced them. i replaced them cause i had a code p0711 grabs fluid temp sensor and my gas milage kept dropping now i can't even drive the damn thing….its brand new sensor why am i have a new code now p1762???????
jbroderick1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #128
YrbkMgr
2002 WJ 

Wj

Excellent write up. I've ordered my kit from ebay (cascasetransmissionparts) for $134. It should arrive next week when I will tackle this job - it'll be my first time cracking a transmission pan (yes, I will no longer be a tranny virgin).

One question though... my fsm gives torque specs for the transmission filter as well as the pan. Do most of you actually use a torque wrench for that? My torque wrench is the old beam style, and the specs are WAY too low for any kind of accuracy (filter fastners: 35 INCH/LBS, transmission oil pan fasteners: 125 INCH/LBS). I guess I'm asking if I should buy a torque wrench in that range or not - usually, I would tighten until contact and then a quarter turn more.

Thoughts?
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #129
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YrbkMgr View Post
Excellent write up. I've ordered my kit from ebay (cascasetransmissionparts) for $134. It should arrive next week when I will tackle this job - it'll be my first time cracking a transmission pan (yes, I will no longer be a tranny virgin). One question though... my fsm gives torque specs for the transmission filter as well as the pan. Do most of you actually use a torque wrench for that? My torque wrench is the old beam style, and the specs are WAY too low for any kind of accuracy (filter fastners: 35 INCH/LBS, transmission oil pan fasteners: 125 INCH/LBS). I guess I'm asking if I should buy a torque wrench in that range or not - usually, I would tighten until contact and then a quarter turn more. Thoughts?
Heck, my torque doesn't even HAVE inch lbs on it and it's brand new. How does one convert inch lbs to foot lbs? There were no instructions in my box.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 03:13 AM   #130
grnd93
2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.reference.com/motif/refer...to-foot-pounds
grnd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #131
YrbkMgr
2002 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
Heck, my torque doesn't even HAVE inch lbs on it and it's brand new. How does one convert inch lbs to foot lbs? There were no instructions in my box.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
You can go to Google and type "Convert XX IN/LBS to FT/LBS", where XX is the number you're looking to convert. Works in reverse too.

So they have low range torque wrenches, Sears sells a Craftsman that does inch/lbs, it's about $40, and one of those click style. It has bad reviews for breaking and unlike other Craftsman stuff is made in China. That's why I'm asking if folks are using a torque wrench for the transmission oil pan and filter - if it's not required, I don't want to buy another wrench.
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #132
bwiygul
2000 WJ 

12 inches in a foot
bwiygul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #133
vigilanf
2004 WJ 

Hey Guys, this is a stupid question, but can someone explain to me what the part is below? Also, should I remove this part before I take my Transmission Pan off on the 42RE? It looks like it would be a little easier to remove the pan after removing this piece. Any suggestions appreciated.
open-42re.jpg  
vigilanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #134
YrbkMgr
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiygul View Post
12 inches in a foot
I'm pretty sure that if you don't know that there are 12 inches in a foot, you probably shouldn't be any where near a transmission oil pan.

The FSM says that the transmission filter should be torqued to 35 IN/LBS. That converts to approximately 3 FT/LBS. Using a traditional beam style torque wrench as pictured below, there is no way I can see for one to get an accurate torque. The transmission pan is supposed to be torqued to 125 IN/LBS, which translates to 10 FT/LBS.

SO, the question was, do folks usually use a torque wrench for the transmission oil pan and filter, or do they just tighten by "feel"? I'm asking "how critical is it?"

My Torque Wrench Scale:
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #135
bwiygul
2000 WJ 

Well people didn't know how to convert foot pounds to inch pounds but it really is as easy as you'd think.
bwiygul is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.