42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #91
Chefdio
2002 WJ 

I called the dealership today and told him about it and AGAIN have to take it all the way to the middle of down town Orlando traffic, hoping that they will change it and put another sensor. I'm not even sure if they even put one at all, I was charge for it but I just donít trust anyone anymore.

Today, early, I took the vehicle to a mechanic who I know in the area and asked him to check the code number and this is what came on the devise:

Code PO987, Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor Switch E - CKT.

I'm not sure if this sensor was defective or not, but they told me I have 12 months on parts and labor if I've got the parts and labor over the delarship. I really hope that would be the problem.

Chefdio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #92
bigjohnsondohc
2004 WJ 

I just did this and have a problem. There is a tapping sound coming from the transmission when I put it into drive, I am not sure what it is. I must have done something wrong.
bigjohnsondohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #93
chrisc909
2003 WJ 

Weird issue after fix.

Great write-up. I'm a computer geek and although I fix the various things on my wifes jeep, was afraid to touch the transmission. My 03 WJ was stuck in 1st gear. Followed this write-up, and now I'm driving again. Thanks fireman. The info was invaluable and saved me a lot of money. This also fixed my oil leak and burning smell problem. Guess it wasn't oil . One issue I seem to have now is that the transmission runs great as long as I don't put my foot in it. If I jump on the freeway and press hard on the pedal, the 3rd gear (assuming) seems to rev all the way to 5500 RPM and wont shift. If I let of the gas, it will. If I coast at 65 and jump on it, it seems to drop into 3rd, and then will shift twice after I let off the gas. Its my wife's car, so I don't drive it much. Just keep having to fix it . I did use the Cascade kit with the Borg. At this point, we just drive it normal and it seems to be fine. Just worried for what it may cause down the road. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Today I will start the CCV elbow and grommets replacement. You guys have created a monster. I used to have free time (but less money).
chrisc909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #94
koww80
1996 ZJ 

stuck sensor

i cant get the sensor out of the valve body
koww80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #95
chrisc909
2003 WJ 

On mine, you have to remove the plate before the sensor pops out. Look on page 1.
chrisc909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #96
Buckslayer
2004 WJ 

How much ATF do I need to complete this? I didn't get an owners manual. I have a 04 special edition with the quadra trac II with a 4.0l.
Buckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #97
lmillandiaz
2001 WJ 

has anyone come across the torque specs for the internal parts that need removed and the oil pan?
lmillandiaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #98
admoseley
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

Looking through the Jeep parts catalog (http://www.covertchryslerdodgejeepra...ts-catalog.htm) and RockAuto.com, the parts in this write up has to be for a Jeep year 2000 and higher? I have a 1999 and I can find the Governor component and the pressure sensor, but the naming is slightly different on the jeep's part site where I found them, there is also an extra "Overdrive component" between them unlike what I'm seeing in the write up.
Can any help me verify that these would be the parts for a 1999 Grand Cherekee Laredo V6 4wd? I have a jeep that's acting the exact same way as the original poster.

The part name/numbers match the labels on the picture.
30 - SOLENOID TRANSMISSION GOVERNOR
5 - TRANSDUCER PRESSURE SENSOR
4 - SOLENOID TRANSMISSION OVERDRIVE
7 - FILTER VALVE BODY

Any help is appreciated.
capture.jpg  

Last edited by admoseley; 07-25-2013 at 08:24 AM..
admoseley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #99
drrm123
1994 ZJ 

Admoseley the parts are the same. As for the extra part if your referring to part #4, that's on the OP trans too. If you think your jeep has a V6 I don't think you should attempt this. LOL
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #100
Ruppert
2000 WJ 

42re shift issue

I read thru the entire thread and this seems to reflect my issue(s)... Stuck in first. Replaced pressure solenoid and transducer, filter and 3-4 spring. I still have similar symptoms, from first, shifts to neutral, let off gas and catches 2nd, seems to waver between 2nd and 3rd. I did not, however remove the battery cable. Must I clear the codes in order for system to recognize replaced parts?
Ruppert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #101
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppert View Post
I read thru the entire thread and this seems to reflect my issue(s)... Stuck in first. Replaced pressure solenoid and transducer, filter and 3-4 spring. I still have similar symptoms, from first, shifts to neutral, let off gas and catches 2nd, seems to waver between 2nd and 3rd. I did not, however remove the battery cable. Must I clear the codes in order for system to recognize replaced parts?
I had your symptoms...replaced gov sensor & solenoid, still didnt help. Pulled tranny (42re), pulled it apart & found my rear clutch pack was absolute toast. So im in the middle of putting it back together with new parts! Yay.
sixmikey9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #102
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

I really hope this will help, if not hopefully this bumps it up to someone else. long story short the puddle was deeper then expected i know i sucked up a little water but the trans held tight through the rest of wheeling (maybe another hour with a good 20 min rest in between) i immediately went to autozone and changed fluid (no filter) and went home she never shifted out of second even with manual shifting. Hopefully i still have a good sensor and solenoid sitting at my house, and i will refill my trans with fluid and a quart of lucas and fingers crossed this is the issue. my jeep has been down for the last year and this was the second time shes been out playing so i really really want/need my jeep for the upcoming winter months.
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #103
shipley

First time ever on a forum of any kind. I have an 03 GC limited 4.7. I was told that it needed a transmission line pressure sensor, no big deal. The pan is off..... where the heck is the sensor?? Would appreciate any advice ASAP!
shipley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #104
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Try this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWXa...e_gdata_player
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #105
shipley

Big mistake trying to DIY. Can't find the Trans pressure sensor on my 03 jeep. Everything that I have read & watched has not helped find it. Ordered the part that the dealership said I needed but I just can't figure out where it goes! Cleaned the pan etc and put it back on. Was hoping for some advice but I don't even know if anyone is reading this but me.
shipley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.