42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #76
Ramjo99WJ
1999 WJ 

Has anyone ever heard of one doing this at 101,000 miles? One day about a month ago it was doing the sluggish red light acceleration, and then it didn't do anything again until tonight, when I couldn't get out of 1st gear. I drove about half a mile at 20mph and then it finally corrected itself when I went up a hill.

Unread 08-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #77
deangelis
2002 WJ 

Hey Everyone,
Newb here but I've been lurking these boards and using the "Search" function for the last 18 months since I purchased a 2002 Grand Cherokee with 101,000 miles on it. It's a 4.0L inline 6 engine. I do not know exactly what transmission I have but my VIN is 1J4GW4855 2C167427 and my pan gasket would be exactly square except for a 45 degree "shortcut" across one corner. From the time I purchased the Jeep it shifted into 2nd gear and then 3rd far too early. After shifting into 2nd and then 3rd too early from a dead stop the transmission would "toggle" (shift into 3, then back to 2 then 3 again) between 2nd and 3rd gear a couple times driving me crazy (and probably wearing hard on transmission internals). Occasionally on really hot days and typically if the AC compressor was running it would go into a sloppy version of "limp-home" mode out of the blue. That is to say it would shift into 2nd gear at a stop and shift 2nd to 4th unless I manually went 1, 2, D. Finally it no longer took a really hot day or the AC compressor to make this "limp-home" happen.
Not long after I purchased the Jeep I took a wild guess and replaced the rear vehicle speed sensor which changed nothing.
I know this similar issue has been posted on this board several times with the same "replace pressure solenoid and sensor" as the fix but honestly I haven't seen my exact running issues documented here. I today replaced the pressure solenoid and sensor just like the video seen here (not my video):
YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

I'll add that using the cycle-the-key method I have never had any codes tripped on the dash (it only ever displayed "done"). I cannot say if there were hard fault codes store because I never hooked up to the OBD port.
In any case replacing the solenoid and the sensor fixed both the early shifting problem and the limp-home problem. I used OEM sensor, solenoid and gasket from my local dealer and spend $209. I hope this post helps anyone that might be Googling around for a fix for my same problems.

To sum up here are the specific gripes I was dealing with:
-early shift into 2nd gear and 3rd gear
-jump from 2 to 3 to 2 to 3 if I didn't lighten up on the throttle
-occasional limp-home mode on hot days at full running temp or before that if the AC compressor was running
-finally, limp home mode at all times operating the vehicle

Just for further clarification here are gripes that I did NOT have and cannot comment on:
-slipping of transmission between shifts (have never had a slip even while towing)
-stuck in 1st gear (i have NEVER had mine stick in 1st)
deangelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #78
Chase08
1999 WJ 

Got my kit from cascade today so i installed it all, solved all my issues... Happy to have her running again...
Chase08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #79
crazymadbastard
2001 WJ 

Mine has been misbehaving since I got it. An occasional slight thump on slowing down and speeding up in a parking lot when making turns. It is now consistently doing it on long trips. Shutting down and restarting "fixes" limp mode. I will order the casdade kit. One thing that kinda puzzles me is the folks that have issues with the aftermarket kits, does anyone think that maybe it was user error and replacing with stock corrected a fouled install? I mean no offense but just wondering, I know I have goofed quite a few things I "fixed". Mine has 194k and its a 2001 GC limited awd 4.7 non-HO.

I would love to flush out all the tranny fluid while I am at it, anyone have how-to link and how many quarts are needed?(yeah I know get the fsm)
TIA
crazymadbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #80
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
............One thing that kinda puzzles me is the folks that have issues with the aftermarket kits, does anyone think that maybe it was user error and replacing with stock corrected a fouled install?........
Absolutely not, in my case. Worked well for a couple of months and started throwing the codes again. It's a straight forward swap. It either works or it doesn't. I took mine to a local genius and he added a ground. checked all wiring and he told me that if, what he did wouldn't fix it then, the only other option was to replace with dealer parts. He advised that Daimler-Chyrsler really did not play well with after market parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
.........I would love to flush out all the tranny fluid while I am at it, anyone have how-to link and how many quarts are needed?(yeah I know get the fsm)
TIA
The FSM is actually vague or totally wrong on the actual amount of ATF IIRC. Keep searching on which line to unhook to shoot it in a container, as you pour new fluid in. If, you're swapping out all the fluid, you will need more than a case of 12 quarts. I'd link a "How to" if, I had the time but, it's out there. Sorry.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #81
crazymadbastard
2001 WJ 

Thanks- a search revealed that the top hose at the radiator cooler is the pressure hose. So i will disconnect the bottom for most old fluid drainnage.
Pretty sure I will go with dealer parts on the guts and just replace these:
Governor Pressure Solenoid - there are some oem mopar on ebay along with the sensor below for $100
Governor Pressure Transducer (Sensor) - Oem Mopar # 56028196AD
along with both filters.
anyone use the super tech +4 atf from walmart with ill results?
crazymadbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #82
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Hey guys.. questions.. My moms 4.0 has 190k on it.. For the last I wanna say 10k miles it has been shifting weird.. It doesnt slip and rev high.. it just i guess jerks back and forth through gears quickly like it doesnt know what gear it wants to be in.. You go from a stop and it will sometimes flip through gears like its going to 2nd then 1st then back to 2nd.. Or from 2nd to 3rd then 2nd and back to 3rd.. It does it on hills as well.. It started randomly and only happend a little bit.. Now i drove it yesturday and its really bad... Like everytime you go from a stop it will flip through gears not sure what it wants until it settles on the higher gear and drives normally. It does it everytime now.. and its hard to accelerate like this.. If you need to stomp on the gas to say pass someone it will downshift but then flip through gears like it doesnt know what to do and you kinda lose power when it does this..

Its driven on the freeway a lot it doesnt drop gears on the freeway itll hold in overdrive and TCC locks fine for 500+ miles.. Its just city driving really. Im hoping this is the pressure sensor or solenoid.. Because it sure feels electrical to me like the pressure sensor is going bad not knowing what to do. The tranny has been serviced regular every 25-35k miles.. I changed it recently and it was fine no smells, color was bright pink, not a spec of metal in the pan or filter, and the magnet wasnt really that dirty.

Again it doesnt just drop a gear and rev super high.. it just feels like it doesnt know what it wants to do so it goes back and forth in gears quickly.. like split second quickly.. Also i should note my 5.9 has been doing this for 2 years now since i bought it actually.. it feels EXACTLY like the 4.0 cept mine is MAYBE once a month and only while medium throttle or going up a hill at medium throttle. Someone told me they had the same issue hooked a scanner up to it to monitor the pressure and the pressure would fluctuate when it had the weird shifts so he replaced the solenoid or was it the sensor and the problem went away..

So should I buy both the gov solenoid and sensor and replace both... Or should I bring it to the dealership and have them check the pressures first during a test drive to see if its even them.. Because we dont have a check engine light. To me I almost think it would be best to buy the 2 sensor/solenoids from cascade transmissions for $60 each and like $40 in fluid and change the stuff then to spend $100+ at a shop to have them diagnose it.. because if they say.. hey yea its the solenoids then i woulda wasted money on something i already had a feeling on...

Or could it be the TPS is going bad ? I heard gear hunting can be caused by a bad TPS.. because i noticed this 4.0 also sometimes feels like it is going to stall when your driving and stop... Sometimes when you press on the brake at a stop light and come to a stop the rpm will drop really low like 2-300 and it almost stalls.

Guess I'll try a TPS first and hope its just that.. I'll buy a cheap on from a auto parts store first and see if the tranny issues go away..
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #83
Chase08
1999 WJ 

Candyman

I would just do the solenoids and the sensor in the tranny. Buying that kit from cascade was the best thing i ever did for mine. Had same problems you have, and same miles. I would suggest just doing it all
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #84
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase08 View Post
Candyman

I would just do the solenoids and the sensor in the tranny. Buying that kit from cascade was the best thing i ever did for mine. Had same problems you have, and same miles. I would suggest just doing it all

So you had the same problems.. Im not saying my tranny is starting in limp mode in 3rd gear or 2nd gear.. or not shifting at all.. It just shifts erraticly.. Hunting gears 24/7 anytime i step on the gas it starts to hunt back and forth between gears.. At first it was maybe once a day now its everytime i accelerate.

Thats the issue you had ? What solenoids and sensor ? I thought the 98 42re had only 1 Governor solenoid and 1 pressure sensor.

These are the correct ones right ?

http://www.cascadetransmissionparts....enoidborg.aspx

http://www.cascadetransmissionparts....nsor96-99.aspx
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #85
Chase08
1999 WJ 

Im not too sure about the parts for the 98 but yes thats what mine had done for a while then went to every day and after a while is when it went to limp mode.

I havent had one problem since i replced it all. And i noticed way better shift limits and gas milage
Unread 10-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #86
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Thanks a lot man, between you and a few other people i talked too about this im like 80% sure now and hoping that its just these 2 sensors.. I'll hold off on buying new tires for my 5.9 and get these 2 sensors instead and hope for the best
Unread 10-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #87
RDUNick

Hey folks,

New to the forums and wondered if the symptoms my '02 WJ (4.0/42RE with 135K miles) is exhibiting may be resolved by the steps outlined in this thread.

Symptoms:
Sitting at a stop light in Drive the Jeep will randomly give a slight "lurch" forward. Almost like it's suddenly realizing I just put it into gear.
Acceleration is sluggish regularly. Feels like it is not in first gear.
Randomly when I press the accelerator to the floor it will not drop down in gear. Rather it will stay in a "high" gear and accelerate slowly.

Fluid levels are good.
I have 14 quartts of ATF4 to do a flush which is planned for this week.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
RDUNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #88
CarlJH
2001 WJ 

Sounds like it, the lurch you feel at a stop light will be it finally changing down into 1st gear, a fluid and filter change is usually a good starting point and at 135k is overdue
CarlJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #89
Chefdio
2002 WJ 

Before I go to another dealership for the same problem...need help plz

I was thinking that would be wise to tell them to replace the part they put on it because I was told that it could be a defective part and if it happen again...get another dealer close to my house. They just build one like 4 miles from here vs. the one I went = 38 miles from here. They may have better transmission mechanic with better answers and probably more experience...or maybe I'll get screwed again.

Here is my original post:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...mited-1473567/
Chefdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #90
adolphhipster
2000 WJ 

is there any reason that they would keep going bad? i recently overheated my tranny and airated the trans fluid. would this cause it to do this i just replaced these about 2 months ago.
adolphhipster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.