42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 09-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #31
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegWJ View Post
Thanks for posting that, I'll keep it in mind.....
Glad that I could assist. I finally heard from the owner of Doghouse and he assured me that the parts will fit my application. They should arrive tomorrow and I'll know tomorrow night if, the codes (P1762 & P1763) are solved. I did install a drain in her tranny pan to make this a tad less messy next time I drop it.

Thank you for the great write up fireman33!!

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #32
drgonzo92
2003 WJ 

Keep us posted. I unfortunately read this too little too late and because of timing had to have somebody pay to fix mine with the normal parts. Picking it up today. $485 later........ Pissed............ Second time in 30k miles.

Thank you Chrysler for the wonderful 42RE.
drgonzo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #33
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo92 View Post
Keep us posted. I unfortunately read this too little too late and because of timing had to have somebody pay to fix mine with the normal parts. Picking it up today. $485 later........ Pissed............ Second time in 30k miles.

Thank you Chrysler for the wonderful 42RE.
Not quite a month yet but, still no codes on her WJ. It shifts and performs nicely. This was my first experience inside an AT, outside of changing fluid and filters. This write up was instrumental in convincing me to do it. I hate all heep electrical and fuel connections and I was worried about screwing up the electrical connections like I have in the past with my TJ. A little research and this worked nicely. Don't beat on the 42RE to harshly. I have heard the same thing about our 42RLE and wonder how much difference there is between the two. I have 115K on mine and hope that they are as easy to work on as the 42RE is.

Unread 12-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #34
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not quite 3 months later and the P1762 has reappeared. There have been some complications that have occurred since my last update. Her radiator took a dump approx 2 months back and allowed the ATF and coolant to mix in the cooling system and the tranny. Replaced the radiator (what a major PITA for you guys to replace), hoses, water pump, t-stat and belt. Called a couple of sources, that worked in tranny shops, and they advised to flush the tranny and then do it again in 1K. It took 2 cases of ATF to even make the ATF begin to look normal and not have the "Pepto-Bismol" color and consistency.

I did the flush again at the 1K mark but only shot a case through the system. I could never find the 42 RE's recommended capacity through the FSM or Google but, recently was fed a figure of 14.8 QTs from Advance Auto Parts. I know that coolant/water is very bad on trannys so, I really do not know what this all has to do with the reappearance of the P1762. I cleared the code and will post up any additional info as I discover it.

Unread 12-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #35
autojunkie
2000 WJ 

When it starts off, in what feels like 3rd, that means the trans is in "safe mode". It usually relates to an electronic issue with the trans like a solenoid, sensor, or trans related circuit.

Make sure you translate the code and check everything related to that code to help you pinpoint the root-cause.

If it's a more mechanical-related issue with the trans, like bands or clutch wear, you usually won't get a code. If you don't repair the problem causing the safe mode and fault code, large mechanical issues (see catastrophic failure) will occur.
autojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #36
99JeepGrand
1999 WJ 

Man thanks for posting this! AAMCO Transmissions tried to charge me $420+tax to do this, I priced the solenoid and governor pressure sensor they both equaled about $100-150.00 for both of them. Ill save about $300 doing it myself! Im going to try this this upcoming weekend. Any tips or suggestions?
99JeepGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #37
autojunkie
2000 WJ 

All I can say is make sure you keep everything clean. Don't wipe down any parts with rags or towels because the smallest hits of debris can cause damage later on.
The trams fluid is expensive, but buy one extra quart just for cleaning. Anything that comes out of your trans "wet" should go back in wet. Use only new/clean trans fluid to clean your parts in. I usually buy a throwaway foil cooling pan from the dollar store, put some clean fluid in it, and use it just for pre-cleaning new parts before they go into the trans.
Also, when you buy a filter/pan gasket set you will be better off getting the more expensive one that is not folded in the box. The folded cork ones are just a pain in the *** to get right. Also, follow the torque specs closely on that pan gasket. They will leak really easily if over/under torqued.
When you refill the trans, follow the procedure to a tee. At final top-off, the engine should be running and you should row the trans through each gear for about three seconds each while parked. Then go and check for the accurate level.
It's not too hard of a job, but the details are important.
Good luck
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #38
nickblack
1999 WJ 

Cascadetransmissionparts.com sells a kit for $199 that includes the 2 solenoids, (the beefier BW one), plus, a new tranny output speed sensor, a new beefier accumulator spring, 2 new gaskets ( the tranny pan and the one for that little plate you need to remove), plus a tranny filter. Good deal IMO for what you get.
real12420bkp.jpg  
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #39
dnovack2007
2001 WJ 

i got a quick question. i had to do this to my wj about 7 months ago. everything went good and works fine. now i have a small issue when the jeep is cold. ill start it up and go to put it in drive and it seems like its in neutrul. if i go from neutrul back to drive then it works. if i drive some where it sometimes does it and sometimes not. is it a low atf fluid but it seems like its right at the full mark where it shoud. possible rear issue?
dnovack2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #40
99JeepGrand
1999 WJ 

@autojunkie where can I find a more sturdy gasket? I purchased a filter and gasket from autozone for about $7. The gasket that comes in the box is sort of cheap looking. Any suggestions on where to purchase a better one?
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #41
99JeepGrand
1999 WJ 

Also where can I find the torque specs for the 42RE? Can't find anything online for it. Also, does anyone know if I have to adjust the bands on my specific model or not? If so, does anyone know how to do it?
Thanks
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #42
nickblack
1999 WJ 

I highly recommend getting a Factory Service Manual. They are available on disc via ebay for about $10. It will be your bible and answer pretty much every question you have.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #43
99JeepGrand
1999 WJ 

@nickblack I just purchased one from autozone! Spent 24.99 for it, hope I can understand it. I'll take pics and post them to the blog and let everyone see how it goes
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #44
autojunkie
2000 WJ 

I would get that kit that someone posted under my last post. The gasket looked like a good quality.
You shouldn't have to adjust the bands. Doing that can, if done incorrectly, can cause more problems :/
The manual from Autozone might have torque specs for you, but the factory repair manual is much more thorough and easy to follow.
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #45
autojunkie
2000 WJ 

@dnovak It sounds like low fluid. Make sure your trams is nice and warm when checking the level (normal operating temp). Row through each gear for about three seconds each, put it back in park (with the engine still running), and check the level.
Try and get it as code to full as possible and do not go over. Even a little bit.
Each time you add fluid you have to go through the same procedure to get an accurate reading on the dipstick.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.