42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up

JKS Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 04-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #16
CarlJH
2001 WJ 

most right-ups i've read say the pressure sensor is held in place with a clip, you have to drop the the thing its plugged into and pull the clip out. there's a good youtube video of someone doing this repair.

CarlJH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #17
Rubes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good write up...seems easy enough even for me!
Rubes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #18
fireman33
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlJH View Post
most right-ups i've read say the pressure sensor is held in place with a clip, you have to drop the the thing its plugged into and pull the clip out. there's a good youtube video of someone doing this repair.
I have seen that also on youtube, but on mine there is no clip, the metal plate as a groove in it that slides on the pressure sensor outside of the governor body and grabs the side of the sensor.

2003 WJ 4.0, 4'' IRO Critical Path, 31x10.5x15 goodyear wrangler territory on soft 8's, Tom Wood front drive shaft, Rough country SS, 4.56 G2 gears, D30 front, D35 rear/detroit trutrac, IRO adj. trackbar, Doetch tech 8000 shocks, nv242 TC, midland cb, 3' firefly antenna, Mopar TC Skid

My build thread--> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-build-957216/
fireman33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #19
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

gove pressure sensor is different for the 99-00 vs the later one. The other three servos look the same but also have different part numbers. Wiring harness doesn't match either.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #20
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman33 View Post
I got mine on ebay. I believe the seller's name is electronicadvantage I'm not sure...might also wanna look at transmission parts usa website.
I need someone to double check me on these parts. While $100 won't break the bank, it is a substantial sum right now.

I'm a intruder here (I'm a TJ Rubi owner) and my wife's '04 Laredo with 150K on it just popped the P1762 and P1763 codes. I've looked around pretty thoroughly and this thread seems to be just about my best bet. The Ebay seller has no items in his store, at this time. I found these parts on http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/. I changed out the TPS last year and understand that it can already be bad but, a bad TPS will not cause both of the codes, as I understand it.

I can wrench on most Jeep projects and am confident replacing these two parts. Our money is tight because we are trying to get her to Houston, TX for some specialized cancer care. Her WJ will not be our mode of transportation but, it's our mainstay for the 200 mile round trip to our local doctor visits, due to it's 21-22 mpg.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Reed

Transmission governor pressure solenoid

53397A A500 42RE A518 A618 46RE 47RE 48RE Transmission governor pressure sensor 2000 & Newer

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #21
fireman33
2003 WJ 

I highly recommend you buy the solenoid from doghouse diesel. That's where I got mine after the one on ebay pooped the bed after 3 weeks. The one I got is a borg warner, and they claimed its better than the dodge solenoid since its bigger and let a bigger amount of fluid through. I tried it and it really works, solved all my problems. Send them an email.

2003 WJ 4.0, 4'' IRO Critical Path, 31x10.5x15 goodyear wrangler territory on soft 8's, Tom Wood front drive shaft, Rough country SS, 4.56 G2 gears, D30 front, D35 rear/detroit trutrac, IRO adj. trackbar, Doetch tech 8000 shocks, nv242 TC, midland cb, 3' firefly antenna, Mopar TC Skid

My build thread--> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-build-957216/
fireman33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #22
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman33 View Post
I highly recommend you buy the solenoid from doghouse diesel. That's where I got mine after the one on ebay pooped the bed after 3 weeks. The one I got is a borg warner, and they claimed its better than the dodge solenoid since its bigger and let a bigger amount of fluid through. I tried it and it really works, solved all my problems. Send them an email.
I will, thank you for the response, fireman33

Unread 08-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #23
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Just an added heads up for those finding this thread using the search feature, the 99-00 will use different part numbers than 01-04. The bracket with the 5 bolts through it in those pictures will be different from 99-00 also. All can be swapped along with the other two solonoids AND the transmission wire harness, to make an 04 work in a 99.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
Unread 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #24
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You guys/gals are really great over here! I am waiting on an email back from doghouse diesel, it was to late to call them tonight. Off topic, I realize but, I am trying to prep her WJ for the eventual arrival of the parts. I have done several searches but, can't find an answer on what to do with the exhaust that is blocking the passenger side rear corner pan bolt. I've soaked the hanger fasteners and the bolts at the exhaust manifold and I will do that daily (much better access than a TJ and I am grateful) but, do you have any "work arounds"? If, someone has a link to this or suggestions, I would be very grateful.

I apologize in advance if, I have offended the WJ crowd.

Thanks,

Reed

Edit......disregard. BFHs and PRY BARs are universal tools.

Unread 09-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #25
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just a note concerning Doghouse Diesel. I emailed David, who is listed to contact for OEM Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep Parts and Accessories. I was just wanting verification that the parts would work for my application, no response. I called Rich, the owner, and left my name and number as the answering system required. No return calls after 3 attempts. I emailed Rich without a response. I ordered using Pay Pal thinking that I could put my questions in the Pay Pal remarks section and tell them that I did not want the parts if, they didn't work for me. After I signed in to Pay Pal, the screen went straight to a "thank you for your order" page with no remarks section. Not the best customer service that I have seen.

Unread 09-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #26
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

For the exhaust, I drop out the bracket and bushings assembly then use a swivel on an extension to get that bolt out.
I will have to look up the place I ordered my parts from, but I put a complete set of servos/sensors in our 99 for under 100 bucks. It really only needed the gov pressure sensor and gov pressure solenoid, but I did them all just to be on the preventative side of things.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #27
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiLieR View Post
......... I put a complete set of servos/sensors in our 99 for under 100 bucks......
You definitely got a deal! The sensor and solenoid was $139.95 shipped from Doghouse! I knew the sensor was over priced but, I felt that $65 for the beefed up solenoid was worth it if, it works.

I'd love to see a write up on the servos. If, it's as good as fireman33's write up, I'd tackle it. This was the first time I've tackled anything involving a tranny besides partial fluid and filter replacements. Definitely as messy as a rear main seal and that's after having the pan pulled for several days. Parts will be in Tuesday and outside seeing if, they fit, I'm basically done. I took the opportunity to change out all her fluids. 150K on her '04 and the diff oil, and the ATF in her 242 looked like it was changed last week.

Unread 09-04-2011, 05:51 AM   #28
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

As finicky as the PCM's in these things are, I don't know what doghouse is offering for an upgrade option, but I'd be hinkey about putting anything other than OEM part numbers in there. If you use theirs and still get the tranny temp light and check engine light, get it out. I know guys have a lot of issues with 2-3 shifting and ptressure sensor codes, but I'm not so sure it's always referring to a bad sensor. Just possibly low pressure due to needing a filter change. I bought my jeep with 132,000 on it. Around 140-150,000 it did the "shift hunting" so I changed the filter and it went away. It had started in again before 245,000 when my engine puked. I swapped in my '04 engine and trans as a unit with about 87,000 on them. I installed my 99 solonoids and pres. sensor with a new filter and got the dash lights and limp mode. Dropped the pan again and swapped the wire harness and dash lights and limp mode went away. Everything good, wioth excellent shifting. Tells me 99 pressure sensor was still good. 30,000 miles later, I am getting the 2-3 shift hunting again, but I'm also due for a filter again, on the tranny that now has around 127,000 or better miles. With that experience, if it still wants to hunt, I would probably change out my original, 99 TPS and see if that helps before I dig into the pan again.
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #29
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegWJ View Post
As finicky as the PCM's in these things are, I don't know what doghouse is offering for an upgrade option, but I'd be hinkey about putting anything other than OEM part numbers in there. If you use theirs and still get the tranny temp light and check engine light, get it out..........
I certainly will follow your advice if, I have issues.

This is what Doghouse carries.

Quote:
Borg Warner Governor Solenoid for 42-48 RE Transmissions
Heavy Duty solenoid replaces the OEM solenoid that is the most common cause of incorrect shifting in the Dodge RE series transmission.

This solenoid is a DIRECT REPLACEMENT for the OEM solenoid and DOES NOT require any adapters or conversion kits to be used.

Quote:
BW Solenoid vs OEM Solenoid

This solenoid will not flood out at increased line pressures and can be used in stock, modified or performance transmissions.

It delivers the performance of much more expensive aftermarket conversion kits, without the cost of extra parts and provides improved reliability over the OEM piece.

The extra size of this solenoids provides more magnet force, more spool valve force, 15% greater flow and provides a much wider margin of STABLE pressure to ensure correct ****ing and transmission operation.

We recommend that you replace the Governor Pressure Sensor at the same time, as these two parts work in conjunction to ensure correct transmission operation.

Unread 09-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #30
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Thanks for posting that, I'll keep it in mind. I plan on beefing the 42re later when I get my 4.0 stroker built anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.