42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 03-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
fireman33
2003 WJ 

42re, P1762 and P1763, Governor pressure sensor & Solenoid write-up

If your transmission started acting up like mine, this might fix your problem. The other day my check engine light came on and then when i tried shifting the jeep in D, the transmission would automatically shift in 3rd gear and it felt really sluggish to take off...unless i shift it manually in 1st. I then checked with the obd2 reader and i got the code p1762 and 1763...which is the governor pressure sensor improper voltage i think. Anyways i erased it and my jeep ran fine for a few days then it came back...and lately the transmission actually was stuck in first gear until 3500rpm...so i went ahead and i bought a governor pressure sensor and solenoid, a new filter and some atf4...i took some picture and hopefully it can help some of you guys.

I strongly suggest doing it yourself...unless you are really a dummy or you have absolutely no access to basic tools...any shop would rip you off because it sounds wayyyy more complicated than it is. Took me 2h from start to finish.

The new parts, Governor pressure sensor on left and solenoid on right.

Take the pan off.

This is what you should see...all the pictures have been taken from the passenger side looking at the driver side.

Remove the filter. 2 torx screws.

Picture of solenoid on the left and sensor on the right.

Remove the clip holding the sensor.

Now you need to remove the metal bracket that holds the solenoid...2 torx screws and 3 11mm bolts i believe. The solenoid should fall right off. The harness will hold it so it doesnt fall on the floor.

Remove the sensor and the solenoid...they are both stuck in there because of a rubber gasket kinda...they will pull right off.

Instal the new parts.

Put the metal bracket back on and the new filter and you are done.

Make sure all connections are properly attached. And also make sure there is no dirt or debris on the valve body.

2003 WJ 4.0, 4'' IRO Critical Path, 31x10.5x15 goodyear wrangler territory on soft 8's, Tom Wood front drive shaft, Rough country SS, 4.56 G2 gears, D30 front, D35 rear/detroit trutrac, IRO adj. trackbar, Doetch tech 8000 shocks, nv242 TC, midland cb, 3' firefly antenna, Mopar TC Skid

My build thread--> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-build-957216/
fireman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

do you have to adjust the bands?
02grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
fireman33
2003 WJ 

If you have no shifting issue related to the bands i wouldnt touch them unless you know what you are doing...from what i have read it looks a bit hard to adjust properly. My jeep was shifting fine from gear to gear so i didnt touch the bands at all.

2003 WJ 4.0, 4'' IRO Critical Path, 31x10.5x15 goodyear wrangler territory on soft 8's, Tom Wood front drive shaft, Rough country SS, 4.56 G2 gears, D30 front, D35 rear/detroit trutrac, IRO adj. trackbar, Doetch tech 8000 shocks, nv242 TC, midland cb, 3' firefly antenna, Mopar TC Skid

Unread 03-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
frisco2011

Zj Gov & solinoid

Where did you order these parts from? I called around and noone has them or they can't order them. I even checked on the Mopar web site. Nothing.
frisco2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
fireman33
2003 WJ 

I got mine on ebay. I believe the seller's name is electronicadvantage I'm not sure...might also wanna look at transmission parts usa website.

Unread 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

If you google the part number everyone whos selling one will usually be in the results.
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Monsterkx117
1998 ZJ 

Hey fireman, I have to do the same, and I got both of the solenoids sitting in my zj right now. I was just wondering, did you have to reset the computer, or erase the code after you put the new solenoids in? Or did the computer recognize the fix and the trans just shifted? I'm doing mine this week, so just making sure...
Monsterkx117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
fireman33
2003 WJ 

I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes...apparently it makes the computer " reset " and by doing that it erase the code in the same time...but i do believe that even if you dont disconnect the battery, after a while the check engine light will shut off by itself because the computer will realize that the problem as been fixed.

Unread 03-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
Monsterkx117
1998 ZJ 

10-4. Thanks for the info, I've heard the battery disconnect not working but this is a prime example. How's the WJ?
Monsterkx117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
fireman33
2003 WJ 

The very best so far lol.

Unread 03-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Hey man....that was a nice write up. Thank you in advance for making this forum what it is.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
woodlynne

I'm going to attempt this repair tomorrow. Thanks for the post. However, my 2001 WJ is stuck in 1st gear and doesn't seem to want to shift out of it. I have the same trouble codes, but I've been driving on them for a while. Maybe I fried the transmission by this point, I dunno. Are there any write ups for replacing the entire transmission - never done it before on a jeep?
woodlynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
fireman33
2003 WJ 

I believe there is a write up somewhere either on this site, mall crawling or jeeps unlimited i dont remember. But if you google it, with a little bit of patience you'll find it. I dont think it would be fried though...unless you drove it like that a long time...and at high speed. If you did not abuse the transmission, you should be good.

Unread 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
woodlynne

I replaced the sensors and fresh ATF. The jeep ran good for a few days, then it started slipping again. It seems like it doesn't know which gear to go into. Keeps flipping between gears and overdrive is almost non-existent. I have to feather the throttle and maybe after a few miles of straight highway driving it will engage in overdrive and we say "ahhh, that's better..." until I hit another traffic light, then we're back on it again. I'm not throwing codes for the sensors anymore which is good, but still having problems. I guess its time to go to the bone yard and look for a trans. At least I have new sensors to put in it!
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
woodlynne

BTW I am still getting a low voltage code on the Throttle Position Sensor. I've replaced it already and there doesn't seem to be an adjustment. Plug n play I guess. Could this be the problem too since I'm still getting a code? I don't want to have to buy a 2nd TPS. Maybe a bad ground? Does anyone have a pinout diagram of the TPS in case I need to find a new ground for the TPS.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.