42RE Fluid and Filter Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42RE Fluid and Filter Change

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 08-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

42RE Fluid and Filter Change

Time for new fluid and filter on the 04 I6 42RE transmission. I've done this before, but it's been a while and my brain is 'high mileage'.

I know the gasket is reusable, but does it require RTV? For this trans & gasket, I think not.

Does the filter have a gasket/seal, other than the one in the filter itself?

Pretty basic questions, but I just want to have the right parts and materials on hand before the job ... not in the middle of it!

Thanks.

doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I always smear a little RTV on each side of the gasket that comes with the filter kit. This helps hold the gasket in place while installing the pan and also reduces possible leaks.

As for the filter, it is held in with 2 bolts. The mounting surface of the filter typically has a cork gasket already installed.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

I've always installed rubber gaskets of any kind sans any type of sealant. On the 545RFE in my wife's WJ I did the trans fluid and filter 3 years ago and used the Power Torque brand filter kit from O'Reilly and the rubber gasket and outside of the pan are still free from any leaks. That being said, I know I've read several threads recently where Mopar is spec'ing their specific RTV type for all transmission pans now. Some folks on the forum have followed that recommendation, others have gone the traditional rubber gasket route. Both seem to have had good luck with their respective procedure.

The filter itself will have a seal that pops into the pickup tube like most auto transmissions.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
...Both seem to have had good luck with their respective procedure...
That's really what it boils down to, it seems. Pick your favorite method and have at it. Just be sure not to glob on the RTV if you choose that route.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

Thanks for the replies!

After I got over being lazy, I pulled out the FSM. With this particular type of rubber (reuseable) trans gasket, no RTV is needed. With other transmissions, yes. And the only gasket needed for the filter, is the one attached to it. I think the 545 trans has a seperate filter gasket that needs to be seated.

By the time I bought 6 quarts of ATF, 2 quarts of NV247 oil, 4 quarts of 75W-140, 6 quarts of 10w-30, oil and trans filters, 6 NGK plugs, and the trans gasket .... I was pushing $300. And that's with discounts. That 60k mile service isn't cheap! At least the labor is free.
Unread 08-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Word of caution. If you pry on the trans pan to get it off, make sure it's dead flat before you put it back on. I used a new rubber gasket and my stupid pan is leaking from the back corner when I pried on it to remove it. Shoulda just used the RTV and not the rubber gasket.
Unread 08-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

And I think the internal filter has torx style screws holding it in place so make sure you have a set of small torx sockets available before dropping the pan.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

Word of caution. If you pry on the trans pan to get it off, make sure it's dead flat before you put it back on. I used a new rubber gasket and my stupid pan is leaking from the back corner when I pried on it to remove it. Shoulda just used the RTV and not the rubber gasket.

I think the last time I removed the pan, I loosened the bolts about 3/8", then tapped downward on the edge of the pan with a rubber mallet and a small block of wood. G-E-N-T-L-Y!

And I think the internal filter has torx style screws holding it in place so make sure you have a set of small torx sockets available before dropping the pan.

I have Jeeps. First order of business was buying a complete set of internal and external torx. Nuff said!
Unread 08-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Reuse old gasket without any sealant. Pan should fall off unless someone has put sealant on it before. Do not overtighten bolts and torque them in a crisscross sequence and it will not leak. If this procedure was not followed in the past it may leak!
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
ReclusiveXen
2002 WJ 

The 1-2 bolts on the rear right of the pan you need a ratchet extension bar because of that stupid exhaust bracket that has to be in the way. Lol, last time I did mine I did actually strip 2 bolts but I still got like 10 holding the pan on so, oh well.
ReclusiveXen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.