42re diagnosis - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 42re diagnosis

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #1
clute75
2000 WJ 

Unhappy 42re diagnosis

so i just put another engine in my jeep and when i started it up and checked for leaks i had tranny fluid leaking out of the bell housing. i did replace the pump seals and torque converter prior to putting the motor in and the motor and trans went in at once. the torque converter was fully seated in the tranny before putting the two together and the motor started and ran high idle due to timing issues but besides that normal. what did i do wrong? any ideas?

clute75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Could be a seal not installed properly or a bad converter sealing surface. also the transmission vent is on the pump and fluid could be too full. Try cleaning it out and running it and see what happens.
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
clute75
2000 WJ 

i pulled the tranny and pump today and checked all the gaskets and seals they were all good . when it starts it sounds like the torque converter clunks into place so we are going to go back and make sure we got the converter for the 42re not the 44
clute75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.