4" WJ long arm lift kit - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-23-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

4" WJ long arm lift kit

I am planning to lift my WJ more than the 2-1/2" I have now (HD springs/UpCountry and BB's). I want to go with a 4" lift and am seriously considering the Rough Country Long arm kit at $1,500. Their kit seems to have everything needed to do it right. I plan to run 265/70-17 tires, and currently run 245/70-17's. I don't do rock crawling but have run trails rated 5 and some sections rated 6 (but not much). Mostly desert. This is my DD and I want it to be comfortable and handle well at freeway speeds and capable off road. Side note my front drive shaft is a double cardan unit, not the Rezeppa CV one.

I would like feedback from those that have lifted their WJ's by 4". What do you think of the RC kit, what others would you recommend and why. Any other concerns or issues I need to be aware of. Thanks

02 WJ Ltd 4.7-Quadra Drive-4" IRO CP LA lift-D44-Bilsteins-Moog stabilizer-Falken AT3W 32x10.5-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-23-2017, 11:37 PM
Kolak
Vendor

If you get that kit, get the upgrade kit and then get better springs, shocks etc. Clayton or IRO has great springs, IRO has an excellent trackbar, etc.

PM me or email me at kolak@aol.com if I can assist.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-25-2017, 11:14 AM
walkerswj
2004 WJ 

I have the rc kit. My only complaint was the springs and shocks. I have to redo all of it after several years, and a theif that joyrode the hell out of her and broke a lot of stuff. I will be taking the opportunity to upgrade to clayton springs and better shocks. On the road it was fine. I never had any issues there. Its been my daily driver for 10 years. 5 lifted.

'04 WJ 4" RC Long Arms, 33" Guard Dogs, etc.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-31-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

Thanks for the info.

02 WJ Ltd 4.7-Quadra Drive-4" IRO CP LA lift-D44-Bilsteins-Moog stabilizer-Falken AT3W 32x10.5-17
post #5 of 19 Old 08-01-2017, 02:16 AM
PolarWolf
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
If you get that kit, get the upgrade kit and then get better springs, shocks etc. Clayton or IRO has great springs, IRO has an excellent trackbar, etc.

The trackbar is nice, the bushings less so. Opt for the "Flex Joint" kit for it, it really stiffens up the front end.

- '78 CJ, 38/38 Weber carbed 258
- '04 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, 4" IRO
post #6 of 19 Old 08-02-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

Thanks for that. I will keep that in mind when I get ready to order all the components.

post #7 of 19 Old 08-03-2017, 11:02 AM
SteelBlue_WJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post

This guy knows his stuff! glad I ordered my parts through him!

Bobby

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
post #8 of 19 Old 09-19-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

UPDATE:
I wound up ordering the IRO 4" Critical Path Long Arm Kit thru Kolak. I upgraded to the high clearance and adjustable lca & uca's, Adj. track bar, JKS disco's, etc. Nick really knows his Jeeps and spent a lot of time with me on the phone and by email to make sure I got everything I will need. I am looking forward to the build and will at least post a before and after photo.

post #9 of 19 Old 09-19-2017, 10:09 AM
SDMDM8

I got the RC kit and upgraded as needed through KOLAC if you dealt with him then you know you were taken care of.
Took mine out for the first time since i completed all the work this weekend.
Other than it riding like a Cadillac its really nice on the street.
I replaced EVERYTHING in the front end, still had death wobble, the second stabilizer on the track-bar/steering link seems to have eliminated the problem.
Just something to keep in the back of your mind if it happens to you.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-23-2017, 09:58 AM
XAQ1
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjpaul View Post
UPDATE:
I wound up ordering the IRO 4" Critical Path Long Arm Kit thru Kolak. I upgraded to the high clearance and adjustable lca & uca's, Adj. track bar, JKS disco's, etc. Nick really knows his Jeeps and spent a lot of time with me on the phone and by email to make sure I got everything I will need. I am looking forward to the build and will at least post a before and after photo.
I'm seriously considering this kit for my wj. Would love to hear how it goes for you and if you end up needing anything extra.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
post #11 of 19 Old 09-23-2017, 10:20 AM
dylan1998
1999 WJ 

Garage
wouldn't recommend it at all. its a very low quality "budget" lift kit. their shocks wear out too fast. if your looking for a more budget friendly lift look into the zone offload lift. zone offload is apart of bds suspension
post #12 of 19 Old 09-24-2017, 02:40 PM
C101Commando

I've had the IRO 4" critical path kit for almost 4 years and 70k miles, cheap pro comp shocks, from Kolak. Added a 3/4" spacer to the front for more height, on 265/70/17s with spidertrax wheel spacers. IRO lower control arms in the back, and all the arms are adjustable. It's my Daily driver, desert trail use all the time but nothing crazy. I'm completely happy with mine, it's been completely solid. Only change I'd make is to go with the high clearance arms..

There's a few great choices out there, IRO is one of them. Ignore the IRO haters..

03 WJ, 4.7 Limited
post #13 of 19 Old 09-24-2017, 05:28 PM
dylan1998
1999 WJ 

Garage
just to be clear I wasn't bashing IRO I was referring to rough country. IRO is a very good lift kit choice
post #14 of 19 Old 09-25-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

Comando: I did order the high clearance arms. Also ordered the new Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires in 265/70R17 from Discount Tire Direct, which will arrive today.

XAQ1 I won't be installing the kit for about 10 days as the friend that will work with me on it, and has the tools, garage, experience etc is traveling for a while. I'll post something when I'm done.

Dylan: I figured you meant the RC kit, not the IRO one.

SDMD: thanks for the heads up.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Tollmtn
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjpaul View Post
UPDATE:
Critical path kits do NOT have optional adjustable UCAs. The welded in place left top arm on the radius arm has a cam caster adjuster that is stock. In comparison RC radius arms DO come stock with left and right adjustable UCAs.

wjpaul I bought a high clearance adjustable LCA critical path kit (in 2010) before RC came out with their long arm kit. The critical path kit did not include many expensive parts that are included in the RC long arm kit. To name a few.... All the RC arms are adjustable, the RC kit includes a set of rear long arms, a rear A arm, a cross member, a T case skid plate, and front discos.

As you mentioned RC long arms kits retail for $1550 and we know they can be found for less $. For general knowledge it would be interesting to know how much an IronRock critical path kit currently ends up costing with the essential upgrades you purchased?

"There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it." W.J.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.