#4 Spark Plug Fouling... pic included - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
chickenone
2002 WJ 

Wj #4 Spark Plug Fouling... pic included

Hey Guys...
I'm having just one plug that keeps fouling... i took a pic of it.. any suggestions??
its just one.. #4

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 03:41 PM
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

That looks like coolant is getting to it to me but don't know if that's possible. But NONE of your other plugs have corrosion right?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Upside
2002 WJ 

If it's an early '02 or pre-'02 4.0 you might have a cracked head. If it's cracked in between the water jacket and the intake valve side of the head it can do this. Usually between cylinders 3 & 4. Are you losing coolant?
post #4 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 04:32 PM
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

that does not look like coolant, at all...coolant in the combustion chamber will leave a spark plug very clean, almost looking steam cleaned or brand new.

that plug is oil fouled, were you getting a misfire?? If the plug is fouling without a misfire condition then it is more than likely a leaking valve seal, no way to determine which valve seal is leaking (intake or exhaust) either way unless you are determined to fix the issue I would just leave it alone and check that plug condition every so often.

to replace a valve seal you must remove the valve cover to access the cylinder head components, then remove the valve springs on each valve, then the seals then install new seals and reverse the procedure...kinda lengthy and somewhat technical, very easy to screw things up with that valve cover off
post #5 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
chickenone
2002 WJ 

Its a 4.7 ...
its only Plug #4 and will miss fire
put in new plug runs like a champ for a month then have to put in new plug
losing coolant due to Heatercore leak ha
post #6 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 04:45 PM
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

yeah well at this point im gonna say you should just leave it, a new plug every month is what, 2 bucks?? haha

that heater core leak can become a quite inconvenient issue tho, best of luck on staying warm this winter out there in cali lol

but if you would like to fix those seals I would be cool with helping you to get that done, just PM me if you would like some factory service info
post #7 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
chickenone
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD View Post
yeah well at this point im gonna say you should just leave it, a new plug every month is what, 2 bucks?? haha

that heater core leak can become a quite inconvenient issue tho, best of luck on staying warm this winter out there in cali lol

but if you would like to fix those seals I would be cool with helping you to get that done, just PM me if you would like some factory service info
oh thank you
heater works... just smells like pancakes
post #8 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

I'd say you've got an issue with a cylinder running lean, the third to last photo in this sequence looks pretty similar to your plug:

Any trouble codes or CEL present (aside, I'm assuming from a misfire from when the plug fails)?

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.